What are you playing, really?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by speelyei, Oct 12, 2021.

What are you playing, really?

1. Noodling.

64.5%
  2. Songs from beginning to end.

40.8%
  3. Parts of this, some of that.

52.6%
  4. Weird noises with pedals and effects.

18.4%
  5. Practicing chords, scales, or other clearly defined exercises

36.8%
  6. Note for note solos.

11.8%
  7. Playing along with a metronome.

11.8%
  8. Layering my own loops, only to delete them shortly after.

14.5%
  9. Writing my own music or songs.

32.9%
  10. Recording.

23.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Nut

Sep 22, 2020
    North America
    I maxed out the survey choices. Feel free to comment if the Poll choices don’t adequately reflect you, but you still want to participate.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  2. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    I selected "weird noises" (among a few others) but i don't do much of it and when i do it's just using on-board effects on the Mustang or Spark.

3. Mojotone

Mojotone Squier-Meister

Jun 5, 2021
    Chateauguay, QC
    Songs from Beginning to End, Lots of Metronome Scale Practice, Trying to get Solos and Songs Note for Note, Dialling in tones for particular song im working on, then Recording Said Song

Cheers
    Stone

4. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Squier-Nut

Apr 25, 2012
    South Central Los Angeles
    This.
    Almost got it note for note...Almost. Still working.
    Lucky for me, it's mostly blues stuff.

5. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    If I've got an acoustic, I might be playing one of a handful of mostly obscure covers I know...Silver Jews, a little Poncho and Lefty, Neil Young's Powderfinger, stuff like that.

But if I've got an electric, it's usually noodling in the hopes I stumble on something I like enough to make an original song around. Sometimes that turns into weird noise indulgence, sometimes not. Either way it's usually not highly productive but I enjoy myself

I suppose this division is due to the circumstances under which I play each. My time with the electric is usually "Dad's Music Time" where I'm working on stuff in the bedroom. When I have the acoustic, I'm usually hanging out on the porch or at the park, watching the kids, or in a social setting.

Mojotone, StormCaster and speelyei like this.
  6. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I put chord progressions/rhythm guitar into my looper, or sometimes I plug chords into BIAB, to make backup tracks of bass, drums, and keys. Sometimes it's well known classic rock/blues/ blues rock/country rock songs, and sometimes it's just a generic chord progression in those genres. Then I play the backup parts (from the looper or BIAB), and jam over it, noodling leads that aren't planned at all, just improv, because I couldn't play the same solo twice if my life depended on it. If I feel real energetic and inspired, I'll then do a short video recorded on my cheap little Nikon camera and post it to my IG page, or record audio only using the USB out on my THR10C or LT25 and then sometimes post it to my Soundcloud page

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Mojotone, StormCaster and speelyei like this.
  7. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I know I am a weird duck in the grand scheme of things but I have zero interest in playing other people's music. I write and record (and have for a long time) but probably couldn't get all the way through "Back in Black" if my life depended on it.

Shine, DrBeGood, BlueSquirrel and 6 others like this.
  8. StormCaster

StormCaster Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    I like to play along with songs on youtube and also love playing along with backing tracks on youtube. Cheers

Shine, BlueSquirrel, Mojotone and 3 others like this.
  9. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    After 20 years I am still an absolute beginner. I don't care lol.

10. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    Something like the following. I just bought a used M-Audio Air 192/14 and downloaded the software last night, took forever to download, definitely a learning curve. This is my first track so far, just did it tonight messing around. I am only playing the lead, if you can call it that.

Clicking the link below opens an MP3 so make sure your volume is acceptable.

Bb Blues with my 2013 Player Plus Top with the Stratahoochie wiring.

IMG_2626.JPG Modded_Wiring2_sm.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  11. StormCaster

StormCaster Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    That sounds great thanks for sharing

Exhead and speelyei like this.
  12. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Mostly just playing nonsense

Las Palmas Norte, Exhead and speelyei like this.
  13. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    Noodling - Songs from beginning to end - Practicing chords, scales, or other clearly defined exercises - Note for note solos - Recording

Exhead, speelyei and Mojotone like this.
  14. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    Everything from the pool. Depends on the period.

These days I mostly play defined exercises with a metronome, implementing some theory on the fretboard and a bit of jamming to youtube backing tracks. Two things that I've been doing constantly for years are 'composing' my own music and playing note for note songs I want to learn.

Exhead, speelyei and Mojotone like this.
  15. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    I've give up on trying to do lead stuff, so instead I'm trying to learn songs. Working on "Nobody knows you when you're down and out" right now

BlueSquirrel, Exhead and speelyei like this.
  16. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I noodle to keep my hands working, play songs and parts of songs and spend quite a bit of time writing and recording my own music. I like to join in with the Strat-Talk and TDPRI jams and challenges when I think I can contribute something worthwhile.

5ofeight, Exhead, speelyei and 2 others like this.
  17. OOMTOM

OOMTOM Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2021
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Me too for now so I am trying to master Pulps Common People and generally learning more chords. Then I just strum a melody at Random to soothe away the workday blues.

18. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I haven't done much lately because I have not set up my new studio but I plan continuing my song writing/production.

19. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    Nice to hear that most of you making your own music. Keep doing that fellas!

BlueSquirrel, Exhead and speelyei like this.
  20. the_dude

the_dude Squier-Meister

Feb 17, 2021
    Japan
    I will be like....

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

5ofeight, OOMTOM, Exhead and 4 others like this.