What are you all reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by One String Sam, Apr 3, 2020.

1. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Nut

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
  2. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    The current issue of Vintage Guitar.... Eddie's on the cover.

One String Sam likes this.
  3. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    With the Hello Kitty guitar?

wonkenstein and strat_strummer like this.
  4. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

A History and Bibliography of a Roycroft Printing Shop, 2nd edition, by Paul McKenna. I just got done cataloging a Roycroft edition of On Going To Church by George Bernard Shaw and got some of the bibliographic info from this. I read this stuff for knowledge and entertainment, oddly enough.

Loin Lover and One String Sam like this.
  5. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    What a great idea..... Eddie on the cover with Hello Kitty. Man, I like the way you think. All it needs is the double locking Floyd and the D Tuna and we're good to go!

6. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    He STILL would sound just like Eddie..... eventually he'd have stripped off the Hello Kitty paint and graphics though. Lose the pink sound, go for the brown sound.

7. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    The New Testament, just finished 3 John.
    The Survivor, Vince Flynn / Kyle Mills. When I grow up I want to be like Mitch Rapp ... except with a family. dead oak plot office Nov 2020.jpg

8. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    I'm talking about Eddie from here and the HK guitar he was yearning for last night.

wonkenstein likes this.
  9. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Currently reading 2 books, Biopsychology 7th edition by John Pinel and Steven Barnes and the Unheard Cry for Meaning by Viktor Frankl.

10. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    I'm on a non-fiction kick. Just finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Very good.

Now I'm reading The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks. Kind of interesting, but so dry and technical that I find it dull.

Next up is Columbine by Dave Cullen.

I also read Harry Potter to my 8 year old son every night. We're on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Loin Lover and One String Sam like this.
  11. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    I saw a really good documovie about Oliver Sacks at cinema at beginning of year, recommended.

Taurus and otisblove like this.
  12. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    The back of a toothpaste tube, I'm on the throne. Some great reading. :D

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  13. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I'm still on my David Foster Wallace kick. Finished Infinite Jest a few weeks back. Then read David Lipsky's account of his five days with DFW in 1996; Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself. That brought me to the D.T. Max DFW biography Every Love Story is a Ghost Story. Now I'm finishing Wallace's Girl With Curious Hair.

I broke it up by reading LessThan Zero by Bret Easton Ellis and Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney, two dated novels that are just awful now.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    One String Sam and Loin Lover like this.
  14. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

Oh my. It's been a while since I'ver dropped by.
    Now I'm both reading The Expanse on my Kobo, and watching The Expanse on Amazon Prime. Same characters, same locations, very similar events, but somehow neither is a spoiler for the other. Things are happening in a different order too.

BTW - If you have an e-reader that lets you load your own fonts, I highly recommend "Bitter" from Google Fonts, a simple slab-serif typeface. It's totally free, and you just need the Regular, Bold, and Italic fonts.
    I find it the easiest to read on edge-lit devices, far easier than any of the factory-installed typefaces.
    I'd have to say "1Q84".
    For one thing, it makes the most sense at the end.
    That will be totally worth the effort. My two sons, now 37 and 40 years old, still remember me reading "The Hobbit" to them, and especially that I gave the characters different voices and accents. I think they were 4 and 7 at the time.

otisblove and One String Sam like this.
  15. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    On to the next one.
    59061750-A867-4CF6-A308-30EF49C5AFD4.jpeg

16. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    After finishing the first of the three in the James Ellroy trilogy I decided to read them all and currently on the third, Suicide Hill.

17. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I just re-read Steven King's "The Dark Tower" series... Even MORE amazing the second time... And I re-read "The Stand" too... The extended version... But we're Steven King NUTS around my house; My 3 year old is named "Derry" (The town where Pennywise The Clown showed up and ALL those other queer things happened)...

Oh, and I finally got around to Orwell's "Animal Farm"... VERY appropriate for the times, lol...

One String Sam and Stillhouse like this.