What are you all reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by One String Sam, Apr 3, 2020.

1. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    At first I thought this was an old post I'd already read via the link but then saw it was from last week and read it and really enjoyed it.

Uncle Joe likes this.
  2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I just got this one the other day. I am a huge true crime fan and this one was written by my uncle. It should be pretty cool to read a book when you know the people it’s about! Only a few pages in, but so far pretty good!

F728F65A-922C-4D22-9CD5-2DA61B64F96F.jpeg

3. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Just about to crack this open, a Father's Day gift from one of our eldest...
    IMG_20200623_102847155.jpg

One String Sam and dbrian66 like this.
  4. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. Gave me chills last night. I don't read a lot of horror, but when I do, I don't typically get chills. Pretty cool.
    I'm reading it on a Kindle. I don't know if I've ever read a whole book on a tablet before. I've always kind of been against it, but it's growing on me.

5. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I like hardcovers the best, but once I set my Kindle on sepia and increased the font size it was easier for me to warm to the concept. Still like hardcovers because I enjoy handling them gently and then giving them away to someone who may appreciate the material.

Loin Lover and Angry Possum like this.
  6. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    I'm calling shenanigans re Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, the copy I bought had a lot of stuff at the end, bibliography, some stuff on HST etc and I think this was at the expense of some of the book, I think it was edited to cut some space, one paragraph in particular was gone.

Started this last night, must have read it before a decade or so ago. Getting into a bad habit of reading until about 3.30am.

totwired.jpg

Uncle Joe likes this.
  7. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Finished the Woody Allen autobiography. Page turner except for the defense against the Farrow allegations. I knew that part from court records published by the Hamills. They were all from Brooklyn, not far from where I lived as a kid. Woody is funny and he's made some good films. I've seen them all. The autobiography was exactly what I expected and I enjoyed it.

Now I'm onto Dead Wake, about the Lusitania's final voyage, from Erik Larson. I enjoyed his Devil in the White City, years ago, and my dad recently handed this 2015 story off to me because we were talking about the Titanic. So far, so good.

[​IMG]

Loin Lover and One String Sam like this.
  8. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I'm packing up some books to send to a friend's father and it reminded me: The latest in the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child (#25 in the series, I believe) is called Blue Moon and it may appeal to guitarist who enjoy reading about a modern hero who walks the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu and helps those who cannot help themselves. Reacher is a lawless but highly moral character. He's the man. Anyway...

***SPOILER ALERT*** for Reacher readers, but a come-on to Squier Talkers who may be thinking of checking it out: This novel has a couple of characters who make up the rhythm section of a local working band. That was interesting enough, but when Reacher was amid hand-to-hand combat in the musician friend's apartment and in danger of not disabling his adversary in time to stop a forthcoming gunshot, our hero grabbed the musician's Fender Precision Bass and jammed the headstock into the bad guy's throat. I didn't see that one coming. The bad guy will likely never speak again but the bassist used the Fender at his next gig.

One String Sam likes this.
  9. Tepid Pilot

Tepid Pilot Squier Talker

"Vengeance Is Mine" by Mickey Spillane.

TP

Uncle Joe and One String Sam like this.
  10. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    "I Am Ozzy"

11. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    “If you Can Keep It. The Forgotten Promise of American Liberty” by Eric Metaxas

12. TampaMark

TampaMark Squier Talker

Jul 12, 2019
    Tampa
  13. TampaMark

TampaMark Squier Talker

Jul 12, 2019
    Tampa
    In the East, the Union Generals were always caught on the low ground fighting uphill and yes, there were many stinkers (McCellan being the worst). They all had a bad case of the Robert E. Lee yips. BUT in the West, it was the opposite where the Western Generals always out-thought and fought the Confederate Generals. And were never in awe of R.E.L.

Uncle Joe likes this.
  14. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    The book on post punk I have mixed feelings on, I'd read it on release but on re reading it I noticed that it could have done with some tighter editing, the authors personal politics were all over the book and he used these to judge those he was writing about, condemning certain musicians for, in his words, being individualists rather than collectivists, musicians who didn't give him the answer he was looking for when he asked about their politics were given as little as four pages whilst the one who was a member of the CP was given seventeen pages, but I digress.

I started the Man Ray book last night and at same time went back to The Art Of War which I'd originally started in 2011 and hadn't finished so started it again from beginning.

manray.jpg artofwar.jpg

15. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I am (was) a huge Vince Flynn fan. If I was young I'd want to grow up to be like his protagonist, Mitch Rapp. I've read the Rapp series more than twice over the years. Starting with paperbacks tossed into a USO donation box, I've had them all on my Kindle for many years. One of his books was finally made into a movie a few years ago. It was the romance novel 'American Assassin'. Anyway, I bet I'd like reading Jack Reacher for some fresh blood. Sorry for the pun.

I started this on my Kindle about 10 years ago. As much as I tried I just could not get into it. Perhaps I should try again as well.

I am currently toward the end of John in the New Testament and about halfway through 'Killing England' by Bill O'Reilly.

One String Sam likes this.
  16. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    It's one of the three books from the same period which I didn't finish, the other two were The Trial by Franz Kafka and On Photography by Susan Sontag.

Loin Lover likes this.