WAYYYYY overpriced guitars

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by JurnyWannaBe, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    It happens. They are way up for sure

2. I've flipped a few guitars but I certainly don't rely on it, or feel the need to pursue items to flip. Profitable flipping these days is nearly impossible.
    Cheers, Barrie.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    I used to make and count on an extra $200-300 a month for flipping, it's been very difficult and my savings is dwindling now.....

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  4. Sonicbridge

Sonicbridge Squier Talker

Dec 21, 2019
    Modesto, CA
    It's a Ying Yang Thang. Buy low, sell high. We all want a good deal and want to recover as much as we've invested. Ebay/PayPal/Shipping fees suck the life out of any deal.

5. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    I dont know how you feel about the NC Squiers but here is one near the Atl you might enjoy. NC 6 with a refret. Looks to be in great shape. 175 is still a little high for a NC but nowhere near the prices those other guys are asking. If you factor in the price of a refret (which I do since I dont have the tools or the skill to do it myself)it's a good deal.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/554194905355532/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  6. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    I agree with others here..The Ses were last manufactured when? 2012? The fact that most require work and really all used guitars do alot of times to get them at least playable should temper the asking price..Nothing wrong with asking a higher price, just be willing to take less at the start, not months later when you could have used the money for something else.. the Larger the item costs, the less its worth in time..Smaller value objects reduce to nothing quicker.. lol..

7. mduganjr

mduganjr Squier-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Covington, LA
    I've been buying guitars to flip here and there and as of right now I have I think 15 guitars total.

In my opinion I price stuff fair, but you never know. Evidently I am asking too much or not buying desirable enough guitars because I have a few that I can't seem to move without losing money on them.

But 275 for an SE is nuts. I have a black one listed for $110 plus shipping with no bites. That's the thing I need to remember about guitars myself is that another one will surely come along if I just wait. So keep looking around and you'll find a Rhino eventually for probably half that!

-r3- and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  8. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Nut

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    I ignore the overpriced ones and concentrate on the deals.

Yesterday, I just missed a Gretsch G5425 and Orange Crush 20 with nice gig bag and appeared to be in mint condition for $200. The ad was only up for an hour according to Fakebook but she'd already promised to someone.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  9. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    I usually ignore stupid high priced guitar ads. Either they're huffing paint or the wife wants the the hubby to thin the herd and he doesn't want to. Either way, it's not selling for that stupid high price.

There's a white rhino that keeps turning up locally on FB marketplace. The dOOd wants $300 USD for it, says it's real rare and this one still has the plastic on the pickguard. Comes with the amp and other assorted SE bits and bobs. I've offered $150 a number of times, he's not biting. He also has a number of other guitars listed he's probably not trying to sell by the pricing.

Bob the builder and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    No sympathy here for those who want to steal something for less than it's worth, only to turn around and sell it for what it is worth. I'm with the lone wolf who tells someone if they're selling something way too low.
    It's called brotherhood and human kindness, traits far too lacking in this modern age. Call me a sucker, but I thinks it's better than being a greedy selfish jerk. Some things, like integrity and ethics, are worth more than money. And self repect is too.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  11. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    I somewhat think the practice of "flipping" guitars has some effect on the current prices. Sorry to step on some toes but it's like anything else along that same vein. House flippers do a lot to keep house prices artificially high. They look at comps and somehow their house is worth more, even if the flip is a shoddy **** show. They often manage to sell the flopped flip for that inflated price, keeping those comps up there.

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  12. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

My strategy is to snap them up.

What so many on the forums see as 'overpriced', we in Australia see as bargains.

For example, the RRP on an average Classic Vibe is over AUD$1,000, or about $666 American dollars as it sits today.

I've been known to find items on ebay where the seller would rather not ship overseas and offer them MORE than the 'already ridiculously high price', PLUS shipping because even after all that the guitar will STILL cost less than the price of buying one brand new here.

So if anyone wants so sell things for a 'high' price, just offer to ship overseas, because there is most definitely a market for it.

13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    download.jpeg
    I think of this ∆∆∆∆

Then laff an hit the back button ....lol

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  14. JSutter

JSutter Squier Talker

May 22, 2019
    Maine
    My favorites are SDOTD flippers who sit on their gear for months.

Still, there is an ass for every seat. If you look at sold prices on ebay and reverb you may be surprised. The same item can range by hundreds.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  15. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Squier-Meister

Aug 2, 2011
    So Cal
    Yeah, turn on your heals and walk away while laughing out loud.

There is a GLUT of Guitars on the market, Vintage to New, top-end to the China garbage, and the Economy for an obvious reason has people broke. It should be a WAY Buyers market ..... NOT the Seller, unless the axe is some super obscure Vintage treasure. IMHO.

ToneChaser77 and Dinomikesr like this.
  16. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    You see the tuners on that guitar? I don't care what sticker it has on it those are bottom feeder tuners and I don't even consider them.

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  17. Rey08

Rey08 Squier-Meister

Nov 18, 2017
    Illinois
    I saw a black label Fender "Squier Series" for $550. Good shape and with a case, but still, isn't that still very high?

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  18. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    Have you got some pics, or the serial number?

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  19. Dinomikesr

Dinomikesr Squier-Meister

Nov 25, 2019
    South-East
    IMO, there is no obscure vintage treasure with the word made in China, Korea, Japan, or any place else in South East Asia with Squier on the headstock.

There is a glut in the Squier market and they're basically throw away guitars. Don't believe me, people toss them to Goodwill by the hundreds and now people are paying $100 or more for $25 guitars and the value just isn't there in the product. People are seeing asking prices on second hand guitars and then going to Goodwill thinking they're getting a deal but, they're not. Then they cry low-baller because you over-paid. You're buying hype and the prices are inflated for something no one has to have. It's a cute little hobby and I've enjoyed it for long time but now cheap wood is coming in and there are better guitars with better wood for less.

JurnyWannaBe and ToneChaser77 like this.
  20. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I can't believe we have people on this very SQUIER forum, who say things like:

"IMO, there is no obscure vintage treasure with the word made in China, Korea, Japan, or any place else in South East Asia with Squier on the headstock."

We literally have a dedicated sub-forum for Japanese Vintage Squiers. Plenty of love for the Vista, Master, and 24 series too.

But I do believe that the quote below is from someone who can't make a single comment without getting something wrong.

"heals" really?