WAYYYYY overpriced guitars

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by JurnyWannaBe, Mar 2, 2020.

1. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    Does anyone have a strategy for dealing with folks who price their guitars wayyyyyy too high? I’m trying to deal for a Sunburst SE right now and the guy wants $250.00 for it. Another guy has a white rhino and he won’t budge from $275.00.
    It’s enough to make a preacher cuss
    :(

Amelia, dboulders, SquierTap and 5 others like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    When someone has something priced like that, I just don't even reply or inquire - because they think they have some rare jewel and a fair offer to them would be a 'lowball' in their eyes. It's never going to go well.

3. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    Yep... that’s pretty much what I have found as well :(

4. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Move on. Life is too short.

5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em..

Big tuna, Robb, 5ofeight and 16 others like this.
  6. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I wait... If it's something I really want then I can wait. I've seen people post used guitars for more than they are new. I laugh and wait and hope I catch it when the price is right. It's worked for me in the past. Luckily I'm at the point where i look at the stable and it's going to have to be a damn good deal for me to get another guitar. As it is, I'm thinking of selling the ones that just sit in cases. If I'm not playing them what's the point. It's not like I have a 56 goldtop, just some epiphone dots...

Eddd, RoyalWe, Forum Guest and 7 others like this.
  7. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

Here's what I do. I set my price what I think is reasonable. I then make the offer asking the seller to not be upset by the lower offer and let them know that the offer stands if they want to move it sometime down the road. Then I wait. The item will either sell for more than I'm willing to pay or the seller comes back after some time to say OK. While I'm watching these over-priced items drop in price, I may increase my offer if I really want the item. Recently a Vox VT20X was being offered for $140. For crying out loud, new ones go on sale for $149 on a regular basis. So I waited a couple of weeks and the price dropped to $135. I made an offer of $95 and sent a message telling the seller I hoped she'd get what she was asking but if she wanted to move it, I'd be a buyer at $95. She politely said no and I continued to watch. Over a few weeks it made it down all the way to $110. I was going to make another offer of a $100 to see if she'd come down $10 more while I came up but before I got around to it, it sold. But $110 was a far cry from her original price 0f $149 and very close to my $95. So that one just missed.

Eddd, SquierTap, Shine and 5 others like this.
  8. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I ignore those ads. Waste of time making a reasonable offer.

Big tuna, Eddd, SquierTap and 7 others like this.
  9. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    Yup. 250 guy wants for CAE se black here in my town. No case no wrap no stand no cable. Not sure wtf hes high on. Worked out tho cuz now in getting a NC96 for 100

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    5ofeight, SquierTap, Shine and 3 others like this.
  10. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    It's easy for me to ignore that kind of listing, even if it's something that I may be interested in. Plenty more to choose from.

11. Sadly this is happening with increased frequency. Left ignored, it allows prices to escalate. People looking for a reference point to sell their guitar, checking current listings. They see something that "looks" like a certain model and list it based on that. We are knowledgeable, but a good many others aren't and are buying overpriced guitars. They're convinced that their new/used guitar is worth every cent they paid. When they sell in a couple of years, list it based on what they paid, and the myth is perpetuated.
    You have a few choices. Ignore, offer a realistic price based on fair market value, or if you have no intention of buying, shoot them a message telling them what you think.
    I've done all three things at various times for various reasons.
    Cheers, Barrie.

12. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    Totally. I also fired a message the other day to some single mom wanting to sell a nice red mini with mustang 1 amp for 100 CA . I told her to list for 175 and take 150. Helped her make an extra 50. And also I am thinking of selling my mini and dont want ppl thinking its worthless. Lol

13. waynes world

waynes world Squier-Nut

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    Nice, I will also advise someone if they’re price is way too low for what they’re selling.Whether they listen or not is up to them:)

brodg68, SquierTap, Shine and 4 others like this.
  14. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    This is dirty - it makes it difficult for flippers like me to survive. Don't get someone to raise the price on an item if you're not buying it.

Eddd, SquierTap, LAPlayer and 2 others like this.
  15. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've been receiving a lot of "tear jerker" requests lately.

"Hi, I'm a single dad on welfare ... blah, blah, blah ... would you take "ridiculously low amount" .... it's for my 13 year old kid for his birthday. This would make him so happy ... "

It's almost like a cut and paste lately.

Big tuna, Eddd, Robb and 10 others like this.
  16. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    I have fallen for this many times, then few days later I see my item listed locally again for like 50-100% more than I sold it for

17. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yep, I don't reply to these. Total BS.

Big tuna, Eddd, RoyalWe and 6 others like this.
  18. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    Flipped the flipper. Thats why nothing is dirty in that game. All fair field

5ofeight and drewcp like this.
  19. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    I disagree completely, it's why I stopped flipping. I was selling below market value because I was able to pick up items so cheap. Now, prices have gone up so much it makes it impossible.....

Eddd, SquierTap and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  20. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    I fell for that one time. Got played but learned a lesson...

Eddd, SquierTap, JurnyWannaBe and 2 others like this.