Was Daphne Blue a colour option on a 1995 Yako Strat?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by JACK G, Aug 22, 2020.

1. JACK G

JACK G Squier Talker

Aug 20, 2020
    London/Essex border
    Hello Guys,

I read somewhere, but cannot remember where, that these very early Chinese Strats only came in a limited choice of colours and have not been able to find a reference that Daphne Blue was one of the colours.

I am hoping that the collective forum experts can come up with the answer.

Jack.

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
  3. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yako NC and YN's only came in dakota red, black, white, and very rarely sunburst.

No daphne blue.

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Daphne Blue was not an option during that time.....do you have pics of a guitar? There was earlier Maui Blue in the early 90s......

drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  5. JACK G

JACK G Squier Talker

Aug 20, 2020
    London/Essex border
    Thanks guys.

I bought this guitar this week as I have been looking for a light blue guitar for a while.

It has been resprayed and had a pronounced unpolished orange peel finish which was semi matt. Fortunately the paint was even with no dents, scratches or other damages.

I stripped the guitar down this morning and have spent 4 hours so far today flatting it and polishing and it is coming up really nice.

I cannot find any evidence of a different previous colour underneath the new paint.

The flatting and polishing has also made the colour appear slightly lighter and as suggested could be Maui Blue.

I'll wait for the experts' opinion.

Daphne1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  6. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    100% for sure a refinish, that's like some kind of crazy intense neon almost looking blue, no Squier ever was that color, and the finish looks not as glossy as factory.....

7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Far too dark for factory Daphne Blue...

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think OP's photo is really not white balanced correctly.

Here's an edit

Screenshot_20200822-143833_Lightroom.jpg

9. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    NC and YN Squiers were sold to retailers in packs of 6.

Within the 6 pack, 3 were black, 2 were red, and 1 was white. For NC4's, you'd get an occasional SB in lieu of the white or red. Thus the scarcity.

mb doug, dbrian66, jefffam and 3 others like this.
  10. JACK G

JACK G Squier Talker

Aug 20, 2020
    London/Essex border
    Thanks for posting and yes that is nearer the colour. The pic I posted was the sellers pic.

mb doug, dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  11. JACK G

JACK G Squier Talker

Aug 20, 2020
    London/Essex border
    Thanks for your responses Dr. Squier and yes it is a refinish which I am in the process of improving. When completed it will have a finish just as glossy as a factory finish. I am half way there at the moment - all orange peel flatted and sides polished - just the front and back to polish.

Does the colour balanced pic kindly posted by @drewcp show the colour to be any nearer to a factory colour?

12. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I cannot judge if the finish looks factory in appearance.

As far as an NC or YN Yako built guitar ('94-'97) it cannot be a factory color. As @Eddie said; Midnight Black, Dakota Red, Olympic White and 2 tone Sunburst are the only colors those guitars came in. It was a very limited palate for those otherwise nicely built guitars.

13. JACK G

JACK G Squier Talker

Aug 20, 2020
    London/Essex border
    Thanks for your response @jeffam and I now understand this is not a factory issued colour for my guitar - 1995 YN Yako.

I am interested to find out if the colour it has been refinished with is anywhere close to any factory colours.

14. jefffam

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Sorry, I pretty much stick to NC's, YN's and bleed over into transition year CY's . @Guitarmageddon would be able to give you far more information on other Squiers. Fender-Color-Chart1.jpg

15. JACK G

JACK G Squier Talker

Aug 20, 2020
    London/Essex border
    Thanks for the chart @jefffam and I did some more digging.

There seems to be a lot of variations of Daphne Blue on the web which I understand can be due to different lighting conditions, photoshop and ageing etc.

Is this indoor pic a good example of Daphne Blue? If so is mine that far off?

[​IMG]

My blue taken outside......

[​IMG]

When I finish the polishing I will post an accurate colour match pic of the body.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  16. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    No, it cannot be a factory finish/color.

mb doug, dbrian66 and jefffam like this.
  17. JACK G

JACK G Squier Talker

Aug 20, 2020
    London/Essex border
    In retrospect I should have waited until I finished sorting out the paint and taking the pics below before starting the thread. The colour is very different to my original post which used the sellers pic.

To recap, the guitar was purchased as refinished body but should have been described as an unfinished body. The paint was straight out of the gun (or can) with pronounced orange peel surface which was semi matt.

It took 6 hours of flatting with well used wet and dry - 600 followed by 1200 and finally 2000 grade and a polish up using 'Mothers Mag' aluminium and mag polish to get the finish I wanted.

On my monitor following pics are a good representation of the colour.

Pic 1 - bright daylight.

Blue 2.jpg

Pic 2 - subdued light.

blue 1.jpg

From the web - Maui Blue.

maui blue 2.jpg

I know this colour was not an original colour for a 1995 Yako and I am assuming it was not repainted using a factory colour but I'm still going to call mine Maui Blue and as I like the look of this one am going to go with the black pickup covers and control knobs.

Thanks for all your input guys and as previously stated I jumped the gun a bit starting the thread.

18. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Tbh, I think it doesn't matter if it's factory or not, that blue just looks beautiful after the cleaning. Enjoy it!

mb doug, JACK G and dbrian66 like this.
  19. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Nice work on the polishing! That thing turned out real nice. And I agree that it looks real close to the example you gave of the Maui Blue. Make sure you post some more pics when it’s all finished. It’s going to look great with the black plastic pieces.

mb doug and JACK G like this.
  20. jefffam

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    If it's a good job, or worked on until it's a good job, it does not really matter if it is factory or not. Quite a few folks refinish their NC's, since so very many are black. Done well is what matters most.

Until recent years, and the re-, re-, re-discovery (it appears to be discovered every 5 years or so) it is kind of amazing just how little the originals are modded. As I said, several here in the past year or two have re-painted their NC's. Most to change out the black. (One destroyed a semi-rare red,...:( ).

I have a number of NC's, that I am modding, but the vast majority were still factory original when I got them. That neck body combo (YN's are very much the same with the addition of having maple fretboards on some. No NC has anything but rosewood) is just so good it holds up well, even 23-26 years later. I have not delved into painting one yet, but I have numerous pickguards in a variety of colors and styles and the pickups to populate them.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the original ceramic pickups, I'm just modding for variety. If you think about it, with the full size body and the swimming pool rout (and to a degree,the snowman rout in YN's) there are a myriad of combinations of pickguard colors and pickup combinations available, utilizing the great playing neck / body base.

Enjoy your guitar.

mb doug and JACK G like this.