Warning scam pretending to be from Reverb

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by 12Rant, Oct 22, 2020.

1. 12Rant

12Rant Squier Talker

I got this in my gmail this morning.
    research@userinterviews.com
    Hi Jaimie,

My name is Tasia and I work as user researcher at Reverb. We are gathering some information about the way you purchase music/production gear now and are also hoping to get your feedback on some emerging concept for our site to make sure we are meeting our users' needs.

The sessions only take 1 hour, and you'll receive $60.00 via Amazon.com Gift Card* as a thank you.

If you're interested in sharing your feedback, please click the button below to sign up!

Best,
    Tasia
    UX Researcher

I contacted Reverb and they have nothing to do with this company.

2. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Awesome thread, thanks for that big heads up.

3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for the heads up! It seems like more emails are scams than are real anymore! Always gotta be careful.

4. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    "... I work as user researcher..."

"...feedback on some emerging concept for our..."

upload_2020-10-22_6-2-17.png

5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That's closer targeting than what is typically seen. The scammers would have had to do some research.

I get such regularly - but at targets far more common. PayPal and Amazon accounts and the like.

On a related subject, do any of you any longer answer the phone? Unless I know the number calling or expect an important call I/we don't. Junk calls now come in every day - sometimes 3 or 4 in an hour (at dinner time).

"Every man is an Island," or wishes he could be. Just go away! !! ;)

-don

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Not anymore. I have my phone set now to not even ring if the caller is not in my contacts.

7. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    I don't answer calls from strange numbers anymore either.... the scam from Nigeria is abundant here... where you pick up and they start charging to your phone line for every second you're connected.
    At least with the emails you can answer back and give them a piece of your mind :D

8. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Always tempting.

I have been cautioned, and this by a person truly 'in the know' (i.e., he had been the director of desktop technology for a major international financial organization) to not even open such emails. That alone opens you up to problems.

My own technical expertise is not such that I can evaluate such risks -- but I listen to him as he is the guy who has to clean my computer if such mess with it.

So far that care has protected me. Jan has had to enlist his services a couple of times -- and she surfs the web far less often than I do. Now she, too, simply ignore and deletes such messages and... so far so good. :)

-don

mb doug and Stratlover84 like this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    This just reminded me to re-register my phone numbers onto the Do Not Call Registry. Let's see if it helps.

mb doug and 13druber like this.
  10. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Back in 2015 I ran the email security software for a $1B+/yr. company. The amount of scam/spam/malicious email received is staggering. For every legitimate message incoming from the internet there were more than 700,000 fake/spam/etc. ones.

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  11. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    Words of wisdom! I never do, just my morning coffee talking :D

mb doug likes this.
  12. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Goo luck with that. Lots of telemarketers and scammers are based outside the US and don't have to obey the laws.

mb doug likes this.
  13. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

It doesn't help. It just tells marketers, as they have access to the list, that they have 30 days to call you before they can't. That's just the legit marketers. The other folks that you hate simply don't respect the list and call anyway. Building evidence against any one of them is a lot of effort and they know you are unlikely to pursue it.

Usually adding your number to the registry increases the calls you'll get.

mb doug likes this.
  14. lost sailor

lost sailor Squier-Meister

Oct 7, 2013
    Wolf 359
    They are all scumbags and that would be on a good day.
    We have been taught by them not to answer our phones anymore.
    My VM message says unless you use my name, I will not call back.
    I do character voices so if I make a mistake and answer, I use one of my voices to f*** with them if it isn't a robo. (especially my senile old man voice)

mb doug likes this.
  15. jtees4

jtees4 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2012
    NYish
    Yes, and sometimes signing up to a list is how you end up increasing spam...I ignore those too!

mb doug likes this.
  16. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier-Meister Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    Thanks for the heads up.

mb doug likes this.