VMJM pickup wire colors

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by JazzyJM55, Jun 7, 2020.

1. JazzyJM55

JazzyJM55 Squier Talker

Jun 7, 2020
    Texas
    New to the forum. Been playing a LONG time but just bought a used VMJM (my first). It has been modded and I was curious because most people say the DD bridge pickup is way hotter than the neck pickup but mine isn't. My neck pickup is very strong (not in a bad way). Wonder if they swapped them. My neck pickup has a yellow wire. I think that is correct and the label says neck. I wonder what's going on.

Thanks for any help I can get.

2. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Welcome. Try checking the ohms at each switch setting. Plug a cord into the guitar jack and put the leads of a multitester/ohm meter on the ground and hot tip of the cord end. Run through each switch position and check each reading. That should give you an idea of the wiring and which pup is hot and which is not.

3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

No, not "way hotter." Just the way that most every guitar today is -- wound so that the output is raised to the level of the neck PUP.

I expect yours could well be stock. -A very good setup for modern playing, and requiring only a slight drop via the volume control to get a classic Jazzmaster sound.

Great guitars, ain' they? :)

-don

Caddy likes this.
  4. JazzyJM55

JazzyJM55 Squier Talker

Jun 7, 2020
    Texas
    yes I guess it is stock. i’ve already re-wired it and beefed up the shielding you know better pots etc

I also shielded the pick ups with foil and got some cloth tape and didn’t make a difference. I like it a lot.

Caddy likes this.
  5. Strang_Banger

Strang_Banger Squier-Meister

My VMJM neck pickup is also noticeably louder than the bridge P/U. But I really like to play in the mid position with neck P/U vol rolled back a little bit so they are more equal. Add some of the tone control to bridge p/u like 6-7 clicks on the detents and keep the neck p/u tone rolled off, that is a great tone! The neck of the VMJM is awesome too!

6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Squier Talker

Aug 31, 2019
    United States
    I love my VMJM, although I did get a deal I couldn't pass up on Fender Pure Vintage 65 pickups for it, and those suited me very well indeed. The original pickups should say "Duncan Designed" on them, so that would tell you something. I can grab the original set if you have any questions.