VM surf strat with LIPSTICK pickups to play Japanese 80's rock...

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by PangPang, Sep 24, 2020.

1. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    Other than surf, i thought it'd be a good idea to get my kid playing other older songs so the new generation could continue the love and passion for older songs (ok, early 80's song).

Yet, I didn't realize we were using surf guitars to play this song when we were filming it. My 10 year old daughter's Squier Strat actually sounds quite ok with the lipstick PUs when we played some rock (or even metal) tunes. I have never seen any other Squier having lipstick PUs around where we live. She loves the thicker strings (11 guage high E) but i really thought it'd be a bit tough for her little fingers to bend and all. But, it sounded alright. It is reliable and has great playability, and despite the guitar was my birthday gift, Mina uses it often, especially when we gig around.

Hope you will enjoy the video.

Ray ;-)

2. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    LA / Denver
    No idea but good luck.

JurnyWannaBe, PangPang and dbrian66 like this.
  3. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

Well, that looked like a whole lot of fun. :cool:

JurnyWannaBe, PangPang and dbrian66 like this.
  4. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I love it, but what's Luana's bass?

JurnyWannaBe and dbrian66 like this.
  5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That was great! Nothing is better than jamming with your kid!

JurnyWannaBe and PangPang like this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
  7. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    An Ibanez Talman 100. Love the color, love the off-set shape and love the sound...good value for money.

P.S.: I just realized it got passive pickups instead of active ones, and it's the 2-band EQ that was active. There 9v batt pit was there, and it produces some punchy sound and all this while, I thought it was an active bass! And it's the second one we got! ;p

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I realized it was a Talman from the control plate!

PangPang likes this.
  9. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    You have good eyes! If I didn't have it, i really wouldn't be able to tell!

10. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    That was great, thanks for sharing:)

PangPang likes this.
  11. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

She has a future in music if he wants one :)

Just have to make sure it stays forever fun :)

PangPang likes this.
  12. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have a set of those Squier lipstick pickups in my pickup drawer. Maybe some day I'll get a Strat to put them in. But, I have several other sets of Strat pickups looking for a permanent home too.

PangPang likes this.
  13. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Great stuff.
    I have an Ibanez Talman made in Japan. It's a very nice guitar.

PangPang likes this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Your girls are adorable. My girls won't stop staring at their cell phones doing tic toks. Killing me !!

Great work. A musical family is wonderful. :)

PangPang likes this.
  15. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    Too important to have fun!!! I feel grateful she isn't asking me why we aren't playing any newer songs. The newest songs would be Cherry Bomb or You give love a bad name. hahaha! But surf songs to them are "new" and sound "new" enough!

16. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    Surprisingly the lipstick pickups seem better than I thought. But I am seriously thinking of trying to get a MIM Jimi Hendrix strat as I think it is quite versatile, and sounds good doing surf tunes too as I think it produces more twang and bends much easier because of the reverse headstock. But if I can't locate one, as a Squier forum member, I probably will start a project thing with a left hand Squier strat, but will swap them with 57/62 pickups. Ofc, will have to consult my luthier and ask him to do the job for me as I probably want to have it done right. ;-) The lipstick pickups we have are okay and they are staying, but I do wish them to be hotter. ;-)

17. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    Thanks eddie!!! What about incentives? I do give my kid incentives. She gigs with me, learns a new song, does a difficult solo, sets up the rig, restrings a guitar, or helps another kid learn how to play...I give her some incentives. She never asks but I do tip her, as I try to teach her how to manage and save up money too. Not sure what kids are like nowadays in wherever u guys are, but kids over here, they have very little or no concept of what to do with money or where money comes from, cos they don't see money much as too many things are too digitally paid, and most kids have all that they want. I thought it'd be essential for kids to know where money comes from and know how to manage it. So no credit card, no online payment, no cheques
    , just cash. So we play two games at the same time. Yes, killing many birds with one stone. hahaha!

So tik tok still eh? U make me feel i want to try that some day. hehe

18. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    OK, the Squier was on the wall.

And no, not cherry Bomb nor You give love a bad name. I think this is one of the more "contemporary "song we play. Yes, Eddie, with incentives, cos the solo wasn't easy, and she helped the bass player to jam this song with us (and I didn't help), and she setup the rig and tried to figure out the tone with the neck pickup plus the wah (we never used the neck pickup until after this song), she sang (normally we don't sing cos we did mostly surf instrumental stuff)....so, quite a lot incentives.

Hope you all enjoy the song. ;-)

DougMen likes this.
  19. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I had the Hendrix Strat, but I couldn't get used to the reverse headstock, and it didn't seem to affect the sound or playability like it's supposed to. The '65 pickups, however, were amazing. That's why I bought it, in spite of the maple neck and reverse headstock, because they sounded so good. You should check them out. I think I like them a lot more than 57/62s, although I haven't had 57/62s for a long, long time.

20. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    This guitar has the PV 65 pickups

PangPang likes this.