VM Jag Special HB - Pickup/electronics replacement

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by Gtsderek, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Gtsderek

Gtsderek New Member

Jan 28, 2020
    California
    I have a VM Jaguar Special with the HB pickup instead of the P/J pickups, photo attached. I am wanting to change the pickup, but haven't been able to find replacement pickups for it. Seems almost like a Musicman HB except for the MM has 3 screw setup for mounting and this one only has a 2. Could it just be a different pickup cover? Also, in regards to the electronics, the treble pot doesn't really seem to do anything for the tone, just adds background noise. Is there any replacement electronics for this guitar?

Attached Files:

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Welcome to the forum! Electronics can always be replaced, but there isn't a pre-made wiring harness that fits this that I know of - you could do your own soldering. It could be something simple like a disconnected wire.....

That is a good sounding pickup from what I've heard, I wouldn't want to change it plus I don't think there is something that will fit without routing/modifying the body.....

It should be 4 controls - Volume, then treble/mid/bass - 3 EQ knobs.....

3. Gtsderek

Gtsderek New Member

Jan 28, 2020
    California
    Thanks for your reply. Not really looking for anything pre-made as I can solder, I've made some basic pedals and have replaced passive elect. on my wife's guitar and some other basses I've had. This is my first guitar with anything active on it. I've searched for really any info regarding the pickup and electronics and haven't really come up with anything so I feel better that it's not just my mediocre googling skill :). I'll dig more into the pot cavity and see if I can further figure it out. Thanks again!