Vintage Modified Cabronita repair

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by CalAl, Jul 27, 2021.

1. CalAl

CalAl Squier Talker

Feb 26, 2021
    Central Cal
    This is my first Squier, and has become a favorite. Bought on Ebay for $350 last month, but it arrived damaged due to inadequate padding - otherwise it was in excellent condition. I played it for a week while waiting for the damage claim to go through, and really liked it, so the seller refunded half the price and I kept it to repair. I'd been considering a MIM Fender special edition for $800 (their rarity makes them a bit pricey?) but read that the necks on these Indo ones are a bit smaller, and they have the same Fidelitron pickups. Love the neck on this one - straight, smooth, and low action.

IMG_9382.jpg
    The seller had stacked tone/volume pots installed, and the tops of those and the switch took a hit and cracked the top of the electronics cavity below. I decided to cover the cracks with a new pickguard, to save the original finish, which was real clean. Stabilized the crack with a bit of thin cyanoacrylate.

IMG_9432.jpg
    There were two ways to do this and I chose the easier, which turned out well I think. Used 1-ply peel and stick material that cuts with scissors. This stuff is only 1 mm thick, which is all that the short threaded part of the pots would allow. Added the black stainless bridge saddles too, which didn't seem to change the sound.
    The other way to do this would be to make the pickguard out of 3 or 4-ply, cut an opening in the roof of the electronics cavity to allow the pots to sit higher, and mount them to the guard, like on a Thinline.

2. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    France
  3. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    That's how you fix that. Welcome aboard.

radiotech likes this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That looks great! And truly unique.

-don

5. fendereedo

fendereedo Squier-Meister

Aug 12, 2015
    Just off the A12
    Nice fix. Looks to be a finish crack.

6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Great execution!

Welcome to the forum.

7. lboorse2

lboorse2 Squier-holic

Dec 29, 2010
    Philly 'Burbs
    I would've just put some duct tape on it. Yours is a better solution. :D

Charvel Guy and radiotech like this.
  8. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Making a unique one of a kind pickguard isn’t that easy, believe me I’ve probably made 100 of them and sometimes first try it looks awesome, and other times it takes forever to come up with something that looks correct, good job

radiotech likes this.
  9. CalAl

CalAl Squier Talker

Feb 26, 2021
    Central Cal
    Thanks for all the positive comments - maybe I'll buy more Squiers so that I can hang around on this forum!
    These VM Cabronitas are said to be made of basswood, which I'm familiar with since I do picture framing. This one's
    1 3/4" thick and sure feels heavy for basswood, although way down yonder in Indonesia, who knows what basswood might be. There was a slight depression on the front that I was able to reduce from inside the cavity - the wood is 1/4" thick above there. Inside was painted with black shielding paint - would this be factory? Stacked pots install looked pro done.

drewcp likes this.
  10. CalAl

CalAl Squier Talker

Feb 26, 2021
    Central Cal
    First Squier, and first Indonesian made guitar for me, although I didn't hesitate to buy this one, having read up a bit and seen a couple of other brands made there. A friend has a G&L ASAT from there that's very nice.
    Couple more comments on this Cabronita: I wondered why the pickups would not adjust higher and found that instead of springs under them there was only some peel and stick foam in the bottom of the cavities that was mashed. Got some proper springs in there now. And although the neck is great, the grain of the maple is aligned 90º to the right of where it "should" be, with the V pattern running next to the dot markers on the side of the neck instead of centered up the back.

11. Charvel Guy

Charvel Guy Squier-Meister

Jul 11, 2018
    Texas
  12. CalAl

CalAl Squier Talker

Feb 26, 2021
    Central Cal
    That was my first reaction, but I'm in this $175 plus $15 for the pickguard...

13. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    In the shop building RCs.
    Welcome in @CalAl , guitar looks great.