vintage modified 70's strat trem upgrade

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by billygaffney, Aug 11, 2014.

1. billygaffney

billygaffney Squier Talker

Aug 11, 2014
    glasgow
    Hi all, newbie here looking for some advice.

just got a vintage modified strat 70's, replaced the pickups with bareknuckle mothers milk :) and all the pots and caps and wiring
    all thats left to do is fit a new trem unit,
    looking for advice and recomendations on what to go for, something that will just drop in and fit nicely

any and all advice is most welcome

cheers:):)

2. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    I put one in from TNT (Dragonfire). Big block steel. It's pretty good in my opinion and made a definite improvement in sustain and tone. If however I were to do it over I'd go with this Fender MIM replacement with alloy big block. The saddles and over all quality of the bridge are really quality again, my opinion. http://anthillmusic.com/products/ge...ard-strat-tremolo-bridge-with-high-mass-block Trem arm sold separate.

3. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    +1 on the trem from Anthill. It is original Fender product. $18.00 at Amazon. Great upgrade. Just put one on my VM 70's Strat.

4. billygaffney

Aug 11, 2014
    glasgow
    thanks for the advice guys, dunno how much import duty i'd get hit with though as im in Scotland.

from the spec on the link im looking for a unit with 2 & 1/16" string spacing.

thanks againg for that advice guys

5. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    Anyone happen to know if the screw pattern for this trem will match up with the screw hols for the trem on a Bullet? I'm looking for a big block to put in my blue sparkle bullet I got a few weeks back.

OP, you might try checking out this website for a tremolo, they are located in the uk, so shipping would be cheaper, I would think.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  6. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Will work just fine with the Bullet. You will have to mill the block just a bit due to the thinner bullet body. Or, you can leave the trem cover off.

7. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Nut

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    If you search amazon.co.uk for this part number: 007-1014-000, you get this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fender-Vibr...8&qid=1407855047&sr=8-1&keywords=007-1014-000

This one (I am in Germany and got it from amazon.de via some store in the US, I guess) works great with my VM Surf strat and should also work for other VM models.

Good luck!

8. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    That Fender MIM Standard trem is the right one. Many stores on Ebay and Amazon can get it to you cheap. You have to be sure to order the right trem arm that fits Fender MIM Standard, no matter if it's after market or original Fender. Usually around $10.00 US. Good luck.

9. billygaffney

Aug 11, 2014
    glasgow
    thanks mate :) that link has a few to choose from, nice one :)

10. billygaffney

Aug 11, 2014
    glasgow
  11. BillyBoyAlfaro

BillyBoyAlfaro Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    Costa Rica
    Hi, the link is no longer available. Was this the MIM 2" 1/16 or 2" 3/16?

I have the same guitar, and I'm going to replace the trem as well.

12. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
  13. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France