Used vs. open box vs. blemished; what are the differences?

Doorstop

Squier-Axpert
Apr 23, 2014
The Windy City
I just checked it across the board (which is kind of hard because the Rondo site is so slow).
Strat/Tele’s start at $16, and it goes up to $37 for basses (for me).

Ralph124C41

Dr. Squier
Feb 10, 2016
I just checked it across the board (which is kind of hard because the Rondo site is so slow).
Strat/Tele’s start at $16, and it goes up to $37 for basses (for me).
Actually a good point. The Liquids are larger-bodied guitars and seem to cost a lot more to ship. I just checked an Agile AD-201 (like a Les Paul) and the shipping would be only $19.13 to me. In other words, don't let the shipping charges deter you .

vinbur

Squier-Nut
Sep 30, 2017
nebraska
Watched a youtube video awhile back, where a guy was selling a "brand new" high dollar Strat. He mentioned multiple times, as he was handling and demonstrating the guitar, that it was "brand new". He even mentioned that he opened up all of the case candy and checked it out. At the end of the video he mentioned once again, that this was a chance to buy this "brand new" guitar.
I don't know for sure where you draw the line, but to me, that was definitely a used guitar.

Ralph124C41

Dr. Squier
Feb 10, 2016
Watched a youtube video awhile back, where a guy was selling a "brand new" high dollar Strat. He mentioned multiple times, as he was handling and demonstrating the guitar, that it was "brand new". He even mentioned that he opened up all of the case candy and checked it out. At the end of the video he mentioned once again, that this was a chance to buy this "brand new" guitar.
I don't know for sure where you draw the line, but to me, that was definitely a used guitar.

I agree.

Ask him this: Has this guitar been previously owned by you or by anybody else not counting the registered dealer, the manufacturer, distibutor or other sources? If yes (obviously because he is selling it) then it's a used guitar. He's trying to improve his chances of selling it , that's all.

Where it gets complicated is this: let's say he bought the guitar and never opened it from the sealed box. Is it used ... or is it "brand new?" EBay says this:

A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag.

However other merchants may not be so accommodating. I tried to sell, as I posted some time before, a guitar pedal which was unused, undamaged and still sealed in its original box. A local store owner told me he could legally only give me a price for a used item, saying it had been, more or less , previously owned (by me) and he had to comply with his state's standards. (I decided to keep it and I use it on my pedal board.)

So using even eBay's definition the guitar is not brand new. It was used. It was opened from the box, etc.

jjudas

Squier-holic
Mar 23, 2016
Metro New Orleans
The b stock guitar I bought was probably a return. It has 2 blemishes on the binding. The guitar was discounted $100. It's not brand new as far as I'm concerned.

Davis Sharp

Dr. Squier
‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎
Jan 7, 2016
Maryland, USA
A local store owner told me he could legally only give me a price for a used item, saying it had been, more or less , previously owned (by me) and he had to comply with his state's standards.

The difference is that you, a non-commercial entity, were selling a pedal to him, a commercial entity. So as far as he was concerned, the pedal was already purchased at retail and is no longer new. On eBay, every individual is a "Store," so the definition of "brand new" is different.

Last edited:

Ralph124C41

Dr. Squier
Feb 10, 2016
The difference is that you, a non-commercial entity, were selling a pedal to him, a commercial entity. So as far as he was concerned, the pedal was already purchased at retail and is no longer new. On eBay, even individual is a "Store," so the definition of "brand new" is different.
Thank you. That makes perfect sense.

JW Adams

Squier Talker
Oct 2, 2022
Marshall Oklahoma USA
Some of these open box guitars are new, maybe over stocked, I ordered one of these open box Guitars and sure enough it had been opened but never removed from the box it was new it was shipped from the dealer , I have ordered another open box from a different dealer and it is shipped from another state , not the dealers address. So we will see what I get

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
"Used" can often mean a new guitar that the seller lists as used to skirt the rules about advertising a lower than MAP price, as per their dealer agreement. I see it all the time on Ebay- "used, played for x minutes", which could be 5, 10, 20, or 30 minutes. Technically, any guitar on the wall at a store, and not in a sealed box, could conceivably be called used, since it's been touched after leaving the factory, and may have been played by customers and/or store staff.

Ralph124C41

Dr. Squier
Feb 10, 2016
Any music shop with instruments hanging on wall that anybody can play ....... are used /demo IMHO .
Maybe a demo but legally they are still considered new I think because ownership has not changed.

Case in point: A few years ago I tried to sell a local shop a pedal that was unopened in its box. He said that since the ownership had changed from the retailer to me that he could not then resell it as a new product so he would have to offer a price of it being used.