Used Squier prices are through the roof

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Eddie, Jul 12, 2020.

1. They where available from 2000 to 2014, 14 years ! People that bought these (many parents for their kids) where interested in learning to play, with the added convenience of having everything they need in one package. It's highly unlikely that these where bought new to mod. Cheers, Barrie.

2. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    you’re all making me very pleased with getting my j bass for $60. I haven’t noticed an increase in asking prices around where I am, but I have noticed a reduction in the amount of people selling at all.

dbrian66, JurnyWannaBe and Treehouse like this.
  3. Supa Necta

Supa Necta Squier Talker

Apr 28, 2020
    Buffalo
    I’m having mixed results selling gear. Sold an affinity in 1 day for $100. I’ve had an SE up for over a week at $100 with no bites.

I put a 2013 USA up for $650 yesterday too with no bites. This is all through FB and CL.

dbrian66 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  4. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I'm not saying anyone is 'wrong' in their theories about fingerboards or SE's but the rise in cheap{decent affordable) guitars is across the board. I also seek guitars other than Squier, or Epiphone (which have been far overpriced for their value, in the used market for some time, IMO ) but prices are up on Austin's, Jay Turser's (their semi hollows & hollows are 2, 3 ,4 times their original new price), Washburns, Peavey Guitars, and others which have seen prices nearly double or more.

To me ,it's kinda funny to see 60's Japanese off major brand guitars that were considered unplayable junk in the 70's. People bought them only when anything playable was not affordable to them. Now they are selling for hundreds of dollars, Guitars we would never pay more than $50 for in the 70's, usually far less. Just because something is old does not make it vintage, which implies recognizable value, not just old stuff.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  5. Squat

Squat Squier Talker

Jul 21, 2020
    Washington
    I'm no expert on models, prices, etc and don't pretend to be, but this casual shopper of gear was surprised to see an ad for a $200 standard disappear in 2 hours, only to reappear the next day at almost twice the price on a different site. Same person? I doubt it. Location of ads were 45 min apart. Smoking gun? Not at all. A few factors make me think things are just simply bananas and I don't mean the flipping of merchandise part, that's nothing new. The prices just seemed high. Hey, if you can get it, you're more market savvy than I am, clearly.

dbrian66, JurnyWannaBe and Eddie like this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I think the deals are still there, but we have to move immediately. They disappear within moments.

But I keep seeing the same ads up on FBM and CL for $200 Squiers. I posted two at $100 each, and not much interest.

7. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-Nut

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    $50.00 in 1970 is now $340.81 :eek:

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=50&year=1970

8. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    LA / Denver
    Post them here. I bet they sell.

9. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Squier Talker

Feb 14, 2020
    Sunny Central Florida
  10. Guitfiddlist

Guitfiddlist Squier-Meister

Aug 16, 2019
    ‘Merka
    If you’ve noticed, reverb raised their processing fees, shipping is up all over the country, we aren’t getting as much shipped into the state’s and people over inflate their prices to anticipate for the bartering/negotiation phase of selling. All this has contributed. Even the Epiphone inspired by Gibson’s have surged to not easy to find inflated prices.

11. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I recently asked around elsewhere -- why are Squier Strat prices jumping so?

The general consensus seems to be that the problem comes down to a shortage caused by them all having been snatched up by some guy in NY name "eddie."

True or not I can't say, but that's the word on the street.

-nod

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    brians, BlueSquirrel, Ace38 and 14 others like this.
  12. billyb

billyb Squier-Nut

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    I sell 6-7 Strats every month...Squiers and Fenders both.
    I use Ebay listings that have ACTUALLY SOLD as my guide when pricing stuff.
    Asking prices are kinda stupid sometimes...but I think some people just HOPE somebody is willing to overpay for a particular instrument in a particular color or condition.
    And there are also a TON of people that make insultingly low offers for stuff hoping they can flip it and make $30-$50 bucks...so a high asking price is almost a necessity to temper those kind of buyers...
    Right now I have an early 2000's MIM in a fairly rare color with HSC listed for $509...which is not a terrible price really based on condition,availability and previous sales...in actuality I'll take an offer of $460...but MAYBE somebody WILL pay $509 and be thrilled with their new Strat :) :)
    If you use the Ebay tool for "Sold Listings"...you might be surprised what peeps are paying for Chinese SE's and Standard Squiers...that's actually GOOD news for all of you guys with 6-7 Squiers in your collection !!!

13. JSutter

JSutter Squier Talker

May 22, 2019
    Maine
    I sold my green bullet mustang with SD PUs for $220 on FBM in 20 minutes (plus waiting for buyer to get out of work). No haggling. That was pretty cool.

14. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I have given up on trying to sell my also green Bullet Mustang with the original pickups.

dbrian66 likes this.
  15. billyb

billyb Squier-Nut

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    Just sold a near mint 2004 SE (Black) for $209 last night on Ebay.
    So...Yup...prices are going up !!!

dbrian66 and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  16. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Them times they are a changin'

Las Palmas Norte and dbrian66 like this.
  17. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Guess I should update, re-listed on CL, and fbm, sold for $180.

dbrian66 likes this.
  18. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Classic Vibe Teles are selling on Ebay for more than I paid for mine new 18 months ago.

Viking and dbrian66 like this.
  19. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Wowza... That does it, I'm makin myself a P-90 Strat...

dbrian66 likes this.
  20. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    People don't think inflation be like it is, but it do.