used market dead?

Benlostforyears

Squier-holic
Aug 17, 2020
Western NC
My local market has pretty much bottomed out as well. The only gear I've been able to sell in the past few months is by shipping. Everything listed on local CL and FBM is either sitting for what seems like an endless amount of time, or gets reduced to crazy low prices before it finally sells. A beautiful Candy Apple Red Fender ST-57 MIJ sat for almost a week at $500. It was painful to watch because I blew all my money on parts for my build the day before it was listed.

BluesForDan

Squier-holic
Nov 27, 2015
grrrrrr-ranite state!!
I finally sold my VM Jazz bass on Reverb last night, met the buyer today to deliver it. Sold it on Reverb so now I have to wait for them to release the funds. I just know I'm going to get ding for 5% of the sales tax they collected from the buyer but whatcha going to do?

On to the next guitar to list.

Byron0420

Squier-Meister
Dec 13, 2020
W Palm Beach
Sold my Taylor 555 twelve string on CL after 1 week at full ask even with a hairline down front, but not many other offers on my other reverb guitars except 2 new scams. 1st scam was to offer me full price + ship & have me text a number. Their reply to buyer was turned off. The next 2 were from supposed girlfriends of musicians that were also record producers. They wanted me to mail some random G mail account. They also had reply to buyer disabled. Beside that, only lowball offers automatically refused or questions about nut width, scale or Fretwear

Attachments

• 20220701_100234.jpg
    20220701_100234.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 0

Byron0420

Squier-Meister
Dec 13, 2020
W Palm Beach
True Reverb fees
The selling fee is 5% for all sellers.
The payment processing fee is 2.7% + $0.25 per transaction.
Tax taken from any 'in person/ local pickup' payment
Supplies + time to pack & shipping cost
Reported to IRS any sales over $600 per year (eBay too)

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
there are currently over 51,000 used electric guitar listings on reverb, filtered on continental US only sellers. i assume this includes duplicate listings.

last fall i believe there were 39,000.

BluesForDan

Squier-holic
Nov 27, 2015
grrrrrr-ranite state!!
granted, I'm basing this on a sample of 2, but the listing I posted today (Sunday) soared right off with over 2 dozens clicks, 7 watchers and one guy making persistently low offers. But compared to a listing I started on a Thursday overnight/Friday, it is booming. So put your Reverb ads up on a Sunday.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Nut
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
With things going bonkers all over with gas prices, food, electric, and everything inbetween, it is going to be hard to predict the prices on anything in my opinion. Unless predicting prices going up along with everythnig else.

I've been wanting a much desired all tube combination amp, finally found what I want, but the price is nose bleed high as to my monthly budget. So will have to save up for a few months.

eBay seems to be alive selling used guitars and amps, but I am not seeing any really super deals for anything I'm interested in.

BluesForDan

Squier-holic
Nov 27, 2015
grrrrrr-ranite state!!
first world problems, I know, but I was told on Monday by Reverb that my payout is coming. "It might take 1-3 days to show up in your account." That is such bull****. It's now day 4 and no money.

jamesgpobog

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2020
SoCal
Sold my Taylor 555 twelve string on CL after 1 week at full ask even with a hairline down front, but not many other offers on my other reverb guitars except 2 new scams. 1st scam was to offer me full price + ship & have me text a number. Their reply to buyer was turned off. The next 2 were from supposed girlfriends of musicians that were also record producers. They wanted me to mail some random G mail account. They also had reply to buyer disabled. Beside that, only lowball offers automatically refused or questions about nut width, scale or Fretwear

Have some passive/aggressive fun. Answer low-ball bits with a higher than asking price counter-bid.

BluesForDan

Squier-holic
Nov 27, 2015
grrrrrr-ranite state!!
first world problems, I know, but I was told on Monday by Reverb that my payout is coming. "It might take 1-3 days to show up in your account." That is such bull****. It's now day 4 and no money.
I don't normally reply to my own posts, but I was checking the wrong place. I set up a debit card account to do online stuff and apparently I linked it to my Reverb account.

Plus another item sold tonight. I'm not asking enough moneeeeeeeeey. more. More. MORE
I like supplying astute purchasers with quality items and service. Get up in the morning, pack a guitar, ship it and get the next one ready to post.