UPDATE: Bad news, good news ...and great news!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Ralph124C41, May 2, 2021.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    First, the bad

I went into my local Guitar Center and I carried my litte Snark Napoleon N-5 tuner with me. I do that because many guitars there are horrendously out of tune and I don't like having to go to the desk and ask for one , and wait, and then get one and have to return it. Anyway I tuned the guitar, looked around some and came home.

Only to discover the tuner was not with me. It was the only guitar I tried so I must have left it on the headstock and left it. I called the store and nope, it was gone. So some shopper must have decided to take it. Yes I should have been more careful but I would have returned it to the desk. I don't think the store even carries this type of tuner.

The good news ... I ordered it off Amazon so I went back to Amazon and found a store that was selling, for some reason, two of the tuners for what I paid for the one I got last year. So I ordered two.

I will be more careful in the future.

Btw, these are pretty good tuners. They're the one that come with a rubber cap with three slots to store your picks.

And they're blue!

Shine, JurnyWannaBe, mb doug and 10 others like this.
  2. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

I'm glad you easily found the replacement.

Next time take a tuning fork. I think most people in GC wouldn't know how to use one, so little chance of it walking away. <grin>

3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    And I would be another one not knowing how to use it. Where do you put the batteries?

Shine, JurnyWannaBe, mb doug and 5 others like this.
  4. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Squier Talker

Jan 12, 2021
    Arizona
    If you are ever in a place quiet enough to utilize it, in a pinch, the U.S. dial tone in an A 440

Shine, JurnyWannaBe, mb doug and 6 others like this.
  5. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Nut

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    --------

It's like making a donation? To a good cause ... hopefully to someone who needs it more than I do?
    :) :) :) :)

Shine, JurnyWannaBe, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  6. GunnyPlaysLoud

GunnyPlaysLoud Squier-Meister

Mar 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    There’s probably more households with guitar tuners than landlines at this point lol

Eddd, Shine, JurnyWannaBe and 8 others like this.
  7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

I wouldn't mind if somebody took it who really, really needed it. However I left it on the headstock of a Martin so I doubt that somebody who really, really needed a tuner would have been looking at that brand. I just think somebody glanced up and saw this striking blue tuner and decided to keep it . Maybe he or she thought "Well it's probably one left there by a Guitar Center guy" to try to rationalize taking it.

Knowing how forgetful I can be I would probbly take out my phone, tune the guitar ... and then leave the phone and then call GC to try to get it. If a tuner is attractive imagine the appeal of a phone.

(I can be forgetful. One time I played a gig in a bar in the middle of nowhere about 40 miles from home. I drove back about 2 a.m. or so and was about 10 miles from home when I happened to look around at my gear. My two amps were there, pedals, cords etc. The only thing missing were my two bass guitars. I was just exhausted and overlooked them. Lucky for me another member in the band collected them but for some reason didn't call me until about 12 hours or so later.)

8. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I do the same thing. I’ve noticed a few times that I’d left my tuner on the last guitar I played.
    Haven’t made it out of the store yet. YET.

9. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

It is also a decent tool to check the responsiveness of an acoustic top. Strike the fork and hold the ball end against the bridge for a couple of seconds. When you take it away the guitar will continue to resonate--really good acoustics will sustain it for a while.

Shine, JurnyWannaBe, mb doug and 4 others like this.
  10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Actually this has to be the third tuner I've lost in the past three years or so. Before this I had a black Snark that I left at a gig and that turned out missing. Then I had one of those tiny, tiny Planet Waves micro tuners that just disappeared one day, and not at a gig or a jam. I thought I had left it on a guitar and put it in the case or gig bag but I went through all 25 or so of my instruments and it never showed up again. (I think it went on the lam with one of my dark socks.) And now this one.

Actually the FOURTH tuner. I forgot about the bottle-cap sized Korg Magnetuner I had. I was always losing that one because it was so tiny and the strong magnet would adhere to anything metallic, such as my keys. One day I had it ... and then I didn't have it any more.

So four tuners.

11. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Squier Talker

Jan 12, 2021
    Arizona
    That is definitely a fact.

12. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-Nut Gold Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    Man you need to stop buying them :p

13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    No, I just need to stop losing them.

Kenneth Mountain, Eddd, Shine and 4 others like this.
  14. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Well, a pleasant surprise. The GC guy I talked to yesterday who said he couldn't find the tuner called me just now to say the store has it. Either another GC worker or a shopper turned it in and the GC staff just thought it was the store's "loaner." But the guy I talked to started looking around, saw it and kept it for me. I will pick it up tomorrow.

So thanks go out to GC and/or a shopper.

I guess I should go ahead and cancel my order but getting two tuners I like for the price of one (even less than one at many sites) and knowing my history of losing things makes me think I should just go ahead and get the things. I could sell them or give them anyway. I mean even with tax and everything I will be paying about $5.50 for each and I imagine I could resell them for that much easily, especially if I don't open the packaging.

15. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Doing the right thing shouldn't need to be celebrated, but considering the context in which this worked out, I'm glad it worked out as it did.

<edit> I didn't see this was a Napoleon. The regular, round Snarks are good but they do wear out with use. I always get a secondary one in case one of them cracks - usually the socket joint on the tuner that holds the ball weakens and the tuner head falls off the stem.

Eddd, JurnyWannaBe and mb doug like this.
  16. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

Yes I've have broken three or so regular Snarks in just that way. Once I sent pics into to Snark HQ and they sent me a new one. And ... that one broke. So I gave up and I bought the HZ-1 and these Napoleons because they have a redesigned and much sturdier, I think, swival point. Also the new Silver Snark is out which has some rubber grommet around the pivot points which is supposed to give more rigidity and protection to those three "arms" holding the main part of the tuner.

The Napoleon is very cheap, very sturdy and, as I said, has that little rubber "head" with slots to hold three guitar picks.

JurnyWannaBe, mb doug and VealCutlet like this.
  17. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    I've gone through more Snark clip-on tuners.. Usually I'll buy multiples when I find them on sale. I bet if I cleaned out the practice space top to bottom I'd probably find half a dozen of them.

JurnyWannaBe and mb doug like this.
  18. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I've known people who buy those even tinier Planet Waves micro (like the one I lost) and just keep them more or less attached to their guitar, even in the case. In fact, there is even a screw-in version of those tuners for people who just want it directly attached. (Btw, I had one break in the attachment area. I contacted Planet Waves/D'Addario and somebody sent me a replacement part.)

19. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    I'm pretty sure I have one in each of my gig bags at this point. I wouldn't want to play a show while keeping it on the headstock though. Just not a great visual aesthetic for me. To quote my dad, when a guitar has a clip-on tuner attached, it looks like "somebody needs to wipe the booger off its nose".

Eddd, Shine, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  20. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    My acoustic doesn't have an onboard tuner, so at Open Mics, I'm playing with a "booger" on my nose. Should paint the Snark "snot green" for full effect.

For electric, I have a pedal.