Unloved basket case guitar ID! (now with pics for those who asked)....

Discussion in 'Japanese Vintage Squiers' started by mexicanbug, Sep 4, 2021.

1. mexicanbug

mexicanbug Squier Talker

Sep 3, 2021
    oldham
    cool, thats what i was going to ask.......what other brands were MIJ. Were greco in that set? ive been looking at those too, but theres too many differences again.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. mexicanbug

mexicanbug Squier Talker

Sep 3, 2021
    oldham
    ah, so if the only 4 bolt bullet truss squier came with a rosewood board, that rules it out.

3. slumpy

slumpy Squier Talker

Jan 30, 2021
    UK
    My SQ - currently my favourite over the JVs and Es, a joy to hold and play.

upload_2021-9-7_13-50-27.jpeg

4. Cdngtrplyr

Cdngtrplyr Squier Talker

Jun 20, 2021
    Canada
    Reminds me of an El Degas strat copy from the mid 70's

5. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    There were lots of Japanese brands like Greco, JooDee, Daion and then there were importers that had their brand name guitars made by Japanese factories.

6. juanmramirezvega

juanmramirezvega New Member

Jan 7, 2021
    35005, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
    También he visto algunos Morris con ese puente

Shine likes this.
  7. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Nut

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    For those who don't know Spanish, the translation is: "I've seen some Morris with that bridge too"

Juan, it would be more courteous to write responses in the language of the forum you're posting in. Some forum would take this as grounds for deletion and banning, ESPECIALLY if the moderators dont know the language. Don't expect them to take the time to translate and respond accordingly.

8. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Nut

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    That's a beauty! I have a similar strat, altho I have NO idea of it's origins. It's an 80s Stage CS-327 in what used to be white, but has aged to a nice cream color.
    KIMG0749.JPG

All I know is that it's from a company in the USA, possibly located in Texas, but do not know whether the guitar itself is USA-made or imported from Japan or elsewhere.

Nice "bikini lines," yes?
    IMG-0385.jpg
    And yes, its a 2-point trem!

The electronics on the pickguard makes me think at least these are imported.
    IMG-0383.jpg
    These definitely are gonna be upgraded. And its obvious the neck pup has been changed.

You wouldn't believe how many pics I took under varying lights and app settings I took before getting these three pics, even then these pics don't do justice to what the eye can see of the tiger stripes on the maple neck!
    IMG_20210604_045009.jpg

I've read that in the past, professional musicians had snapped them up whenever one is found and recorded and/or gigged with them. The quality of Feel evidently was comparable to Fender American Stratocasters or at least Mexican. It definitely compares favorably to my two Fender Stratocasters, a 92 Mex Standard and a 07 Jpn Standard.

1992 Fender Mex Standard, crimson red metallic (left) & 2007 Fender Japanese Standard 1H, black (right)
    IMG_20210908_084235.jpg

cool gouhl and Shine like this.
  9. the_dude

the_dude Squier-Meister

Feb 17, 2021
    Japan
    Looks to me to be a late 70's very early 80's Greco - maybe an lower tier SE modal judging by the bridge saddles and tuners). I was playing one in a store a couple months ago. Excellent guitars from a great period.

Lanaka and Shine like this.
  10. the_dude

the_dude Squier-Meister

Feb 17, 2021
    Japan
    Late 70's and early 80's Greco guitars were made by Fujigen. If you look at the super real strats they were putting out just before 82 they look (and feel) just like the Fender Japan JVs.

What I think happened is after Kanda Shokkai (who owned the Greco brand) partnered with Fender to form Fender Japan (along with Yamano Gakki) they simply relabeled the guitars coming out of the Fujigen factory as 'Fender' (Kanda Shokkai agreed to stop selling Fender copies after the creation of Fender Japan). I am pretty sure Fujigen was also using these same guitars for Fernandes' early 80's Revival Series branded guitars.

Lanaka, Shine and miket1117 like this.
  11. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    how do you guys know all of this??? gawd, i musta been under a rock. well... perhaps i was. :)

Shine likes this.
  12. the_dude

the_dude Squier-Meister

Feb 17, 2021
    Japan
    Ever since I (consciously) bought my first MIJ guitar here in Japan back in 1999 I have been a nerd to say the least on Japanese guitars. :cool:

I love to browse the second hand stores here to unearth some gems.

Lanaka and miket1117 like this.