Unloved basket case guitar ID! (now with pics for those who asked)....

Discussion in 'Japanese Vintage Squiers' started by mexicanbug, Sep 4, 2021.

1. mexicanbug

mexicanbug Squier Talker

Sep 3, 2021
    oldham
    Here are the pics as requested.

My guess, from reading the info on here, as well as 21 frets.com, is that its an SQ model, but a later one that doesnt have the 3 bolt neck system. BUT that is a guess- Ive only owned the guitar a couple of days and its still early days, research wise.
    Any help would be gladly appreciated.

The 3 reasons why i looked at it (second hand shop window) are

1: I regularly buy later squiers to use as custom paint canvases- thats my thing.
    2: This was cheap-but a lot more battered than I usualy take on, as it will take a lot more work to get it back to a flat paint surface for the custom work.
    3: I then noticed the bullet truss rod adjust. Ive not personally owned one before, but i knew that this suggested early dates for fender or squier- that combined with the leval of wear and corrosion on the hardware confirmed either an early date or LOT of rough use.
    4: I could see through the back cover " made in Japan" stamped on the tremolo block, which seemed very heavy. It was at that point i decided to buy, as as far as I know know, MIJ equates to smarter than your average bear.

Its definately unloved, and needs a lot of work.
    But if its worth doing, ill try to do a sympathetic resto, if thats whats advised.

So heres some shots-more pix less yap.

2. mexicanbug

mexicanbug Squier Talker

Sep 3, 2021
    oldham
  3. mexicanbug

mexicanbug Squier Talker

Sep 3, 2021
    oldham
    IMG_4368.JPG IMG_4370.JPG

Attached Files:

4. mexicanbug

mexicanbug Squier Talker

Sep 3, 2021
    oldham
    Never seen a trem like this......no obvious means of attatchment for the block to the top......very heavy too, bet it makes a good lump for sustain.

5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

It looks like one solid pot metal die-casting.

6. mexicanbug

mexicanbug Squier Talker

Sep 3, 2021
    oldham
    Yeah, odd isnt it- well maybe not to you guys who have experience of vintage Japanese hardware. It says STC made in japan- thats probably the next line of research for me.

7. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

Jan 12, 2010
    Virginia Beach, VA USA
    That would be under the bonnet in the UK....lol.

8. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    Not to be a bummer but I don't think that's a Squier guitar.
    The headstock is shaped differently and the truss rod nut too in my opinion. DSCN1632_zpshrwmd2z2.JPG The bottom curve has more of a curve and the indented area is wider.
    The truss rod nut sits deeper into the neck. The string trees are further from the nut.
    This an SQ bridge notice the cast saddles.

DSCN1633_zps4bdt2nvu.JPG

I think it's a MIJ guitar, just not a Squier.
    There were a lot of good MIJ strat copies, that's why they started making Squiers.

I could of course be wrong.

Only CST-50 Came in a SB finish and those had black plastic parts. Most SQs serial number are White or Black.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  9. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Nut

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I have a 2007 Fender Japan Standard Stratocaster 1H in black. The craftsmanship is incredible on this particular guitar! Quarter-sawn maple neck, smooth cuts in the cavities and pocket, heck even the paint job inside the cavities are flawlessly smooth!

Love it!

IMG_20210630_175957.jpg

I forgot to wipe the glossy body down before shooting the pic. Smooth black gloss are fingerprint magnets!

10. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    It's Japanese, but most likely predates the Squier brand, like my CsL (Fujigen) which has exactly the same bridge.

Geddes front.png

11. mexicanbug

mexicanbug Squier Talker

Sep 3, 2021
    oldham
    whats under the hood?
    A whole load of BADLY wired dissapointment........TBH im just hoping for the experts to weigh in and say "this is original-thats not "etc so i can keep whats good and start the hunt for what it should have.
    Ive got some CTS 250s and 500's and some sprague orange drops, as well as some shielded flex that can be pressesed into service.
    Im open for it to be non squier... i started to have my doubts when researching the bridge.

But on a positive slant (god i hope theres a bit of positive) the neck is a a great shape, and the figuring on what looks to be a 2 piece body is quite attractive.

Cant figure out that "nick" on the scratchplate though, near the location of a truss adjust/heel adjust. Theres no adjuster there, and even if there was, that nick wouldnt allow access. Do we think that this is even the original plate? Could all be junk.....

If its not a squier, my next guess is a tokai.
    thats what the STC bridge is making suggestions towards....

Shine and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. mexicanbug

mexicanbug Squier Talker

Sep 3, 2021
    oldham
    In ref to DJ granites post:

Im open to all possibilities. The saddles ARE actually cast on this guitar, it might just be a bad pic. Also, there are no blac palstic parts, im not sure which bits you thought were plastic, im presuming the string trees, but they are metal, they are just so rusty, they look black....

13. mexicanbug

mexicanbug Squier Talker

Sep 3, 2021
    oldham
  14. mexicanbug

mexicanbug Squier Talker

Sep 3, 2021
    oldham
    heres another option. Problem is, as with the SQ's, mot silver stars seem to be 3 screw necks. The gold stars ive seen have 4, but no bullet. tokai silver star.jpg

15. mexicanbug

mexicanbug Squier Talker

Sep 3, 2021
    oldham
  16. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-Nut

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I'd say keep it, that's a beautiful guitar, fix the wiring and ye have yerself potentially a good starting point for a great looking player!

I have a particularly soft spot for burst that includes red in it's colors.

My 1995-2005 Austin AU-731, my first strat type. I still have it.

Austin AU-731 FF FR(600x950).jpg
    OC_20210905_051940_CC-A.jpg

EDIT: updated to a newer pic that shows front and back.

EDIT2: Put back the first pic, shows the wood grain better. The app updated and børked my cam settings. Gonna have to fix that.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  17. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    Yes, I noticed yours are cast, I think they are different though. The slot the strings pass through appear to be different (could be picture angle) and the flat area at the back I thought was a bit larger on the Squier.

As for the Black plastics, that was in reference to the Squier CST-50 being the only SQ Serial number model available in a SB finish and that came with Black plastic parts(pickguard, knobs, pickup cover, switch tip...) as well as a Rosewood fretboard.
    I was trying to point out where your guitar was different from an SQ Serial number Squier.

With the truss rod adjustment notch, I think the pickguard has been changed, or possibly the body was originally with a heel adjusted neck?
    Good luck with it, it looks to have potential.

Edit - I think you may be onto something with the Tokai, looks very much like the Tokai you posted, the string tree placement, the indented area, even the area where the label was sanded off looks like "Tokai etc" would fit. You may want to check other MIJ brands like El Maya, Fresher, Camel among others.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021