Univox Les Paul

shingh2002

Squier-holic
Sep 30, 2020
UK
The pickups are microphonic though. Crank it and it squeals out of control. They need to be replaced.

Good old PAFs weren't potted either. Maybe try that before replacing them. But first, I'd try lowering them, move away from the amp and try not to scoop the pickup with your hand.

I’ve heard another trick with unpotted and microphonic pickups is to remove the covers. It is said Page and Young have both done this at one point or the other.

J - Peasy

Squier-Meister
Feb 27, 2022
Montreal, Canada
If you believe what Wikipedia has to say ...

Univox-branded fretted instruments (electric and acoustic guitars and electric basses) began being imported from Japanese contract manufacturer Matsumoku in 1975, where they continued until 1982, after which instruments were made in Korea under the "Westbury" brand. The Unicord Corporation was purchased by Korg in 1985, effectively ending the line.
My guitar could be an early 80's model, as it's not the same as the 70's models in look and logo. Thanks for the comment, much welcomed.

J - Peasy

Squier-Meister
Feb 27, 2022
Montreal, Canada
Hi all, here is the univox Les Paul update, I checked out the pickups, they are very microphonic. If I tap the edge of my pick anywhere on the guitar, (front, sides, back, neck, pickups too, obviously) I hear it in the amp. Its like a big soundboard. I lowered the pickups, left the covers on, and I stay clear of the amp. It sounds amazing with the resonance. Is that supposed to be the "paf" sound? Whatever that means, anyway. No squealing so far. Its easily the loudest guitar I have, even with the pups down low. With some eq adjusted on my amp, I got close to a decent Jimmy Page/heartbreaker sound. Pickups are still not as clear sounding as I'd like, but as mentioned I adjust the amp controls. I'm leaving it as it is for now.
Thanks to all for the advice & comments, it's always appreciated.
Cheers

Last edited:

DrBeGood

Dr. Squier
Dec 9, 2014
QC, CANADA
Hi all, here is the univox Les Paul update, I checked out the pickups, they are very microphonic. If I tap the edge of my pick anywhere on the guitar, (front, sides, back, neck, pickups too, obviously) I hear it in the amp. Its like a big soundboard. I lowered the pickups, left the covers on, and I stay clear of the amp. It sounds amazing with the resonance. Is that supposed to be the "paf" sound? Whatever that means, anyway. No squealing so far. Its easily the loudest guitar I have, even with the pups down low. With some eq adjusted on my amp, I got close to a decent Jimmy Page/heartbreaker sound. Pickups are still not as clear sounding as I'd like, but as mentioned I adjust the amp controls. I'm leaving it as it is for now.
Thanks to all for the advice & comments, it's always appreciated.
Cheers
Great, thank for the update.

Latest posts