Ultimate Guitar "Pro" Membership worth it?

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by strat81, Oct 20, 2020.

1. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister Platinum Supporting Member

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    Ultimate Guitar has a promo going on right now, $25 for one year of access.

Are the tabs behind the paywall much better than the free ones? I know the free ones are hit or miss.

Yes, I know there are plenty of free lessons on Youtube, but sometimes I just need a quick section of tab and don't want to watch a 20 minute video.

GunnyPlaysLoud likes this.
  2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I use Activemelody which is a really good site. He post's a new lesson every Friday night and each post has 2 or 3 video's of each lesson. He teaches more so style than any particular song however there are a few full songs there.
    If you don't want to sit and listen to each video you can scroll down to the last one which is a follow along video with tabs, looping and speed selector. I've been a paying member there several years now. It's a pretty awesome site.

jaknzax likes this.
  3. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Well, I don't know why but I have access to all the Pro tabs when using the site on PC, maybe because I uploaded some tabs years ago. It doesn't work on the app, though, so I don't know if it's just a general thing or a bug.

Being able to solo or mute each instrument is cool, and I have used the site a few times for general guidance. Now I prefer to check YT videos, as it's easier to pick some cool techniques or tips from the person doing the lesson.

If you think you will really use it, then I would say go ahead.

GunnyPlaysLoud likes this.
  4. GunnyPlaysLoud

GunnyPlaysLoud Squier-Meister

Mar 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    I’d say the “official” tabs are definitely a little better than the free stuff. I think $25/year is honestly a little expensive for what you get. I’ve been given “premium” in the past just for submitting tabs, not sure if they still do that or not, I barely use the site/app any more.

5. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    $25 is about $.07 a day. I think you can afford to risk it.

6. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    I don't remember how much I paid, I want to say $49 bucks but I don't think it was over $100, about 7 years ago or so....for a lifetime pro membership.