tuning up for bow season

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Loin Lover, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Under the heading "what not to do"...

Attached Files:

Ahnlaashock likes this.
  2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    OUCH...
    Please tell me that isn't your thumb...:eek:

3. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Noooo, not mine. I suppose they are called accidents since folks do not (normally) try to slice their fingers off. Yet sometimes I wonder how folks attained the age they have.

On the bright side, this fella won't (be able to) do it again. :-O

4. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    The crossbow isn't funny.
    My father got his brand new compound crossbow, and when he went out to shoot it, he adjusted the sling like he does his rifle and then looped the sling over his elbow so he could tighten his hold by raising that elbow out to the side, tightening the sling to solidify his hold. Then he took careful aim and pulled the trigger.
    Oops!
    As he lifted the left elbow out to tighten the sling. his thumb moved till it was sticking up above where it should be and he hit his thumb with the cable. It almost ripped it off, not cut it off. Four shots later, he did it again, and after that, he might as well not even tried to shoot it. He never could shoot it consistently after that, and I always figured it was the thumb injury in the back of his mind.

5. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Morning temps in the 30s. My neck is beginning to swell.

My newly built food plot fence needs to come down soon. It is about 90 yards from this trail camera site. This pic was yesterday evening.

deer herd 10 2 2020.jpg

6. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I am ready for a good three or four day camping trip in the national forest, but I am more likely to be in the stand with a camera. I think I like deer camp more than deer hunting these days.

vinbur, strat_strummer and Loin Lover like this.
  7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I miss both hunting and eating...:(

Loin Lover and vinbur like this.
  8. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Gotta love those huge Kansas bucks. The corn is being cut and they’re loosing their cover. 12ED6B35-3452-4B39-B842-F67A7D03C154.jpeg

strat_strummer, Loin Lover and vinbur like this.
  9. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Thats a stud!!!

strat_strummer and Loin Lover like this.
  10. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I have video of him but can’t post it on here. That was way up in northern Kansas close to the Nebraska border on Wednesday. That a 200 incher for sure.

Loin Lover likes this.
  11. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Have you been hauling through Nebraska?

12. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Yes a little bit just barely into the state. Been hauling out of Hebron off of 135 and went over to Lincoln once last week. I’m in Kansas the majority of the time and Oklahoma some.

13. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    gotcha, thought if you were going through the center of the state north and south, you might pass by pretty close to me. Im heading down to south central ks. the weekend of the 16th for my first hunt down there.

Loin Lover and squierTony like this.
  14. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I took the fence down from around my new plot today. I plan to be sitting in the new stand before daylight in the morning.

In case anyone likes to hunt or fish according to moon phases, tomorrow is the new moon, as good as it gets. I will not discount it an iota. However, the best time for me to hunt or fish is when I can & feel up to it.

http://www.besttimestohunt.net/default.aspx

Selfie / sasquatch pic while getting camera set up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    vinbur likes this.
  15. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    In Kansas for my first hunt down here. Cold front and the new moon have me hopeful to see some action

Loin Lover likes this.
  16. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Been suprisingly slow lately. Only had four deer within range in five hunts in Kansas. Not much better back at home. On my walk back last night, I did see a pretty large bodied buck chasing a small doe maybe the young ones are starting to come in. Should start to get exciting the next couple weeks!

Loin Lover likes this.
  17. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    The does are chasing the fawns away from them and kicking at them if they try to nurse.
    I watched five deer for ten minutes yesterday, and the does are displaying early rut behaviors. The three little ones were playing, and the does were downright determined to make them leave them alone. The one doe chased one into the woods, back out, and then back in again as they left.
    The little ones were doing the headbutt and stand up to kick at each other with their front legs thing about half of the time I watched, but the does were both working at weening the fawns and running them off.
    There is big puddle they come to after it rains, and two of the fawns were playing in the water, splashing and then play fighting with each other.
    There was a larger single deer there in the middle of the night, but all I could see was the outline since there is a dusk to dawn light at mom's, behind the deer. I stepped inside to get binoculars to see if it had horns, but it was gone when I stepped back out.

Loin Lover likes this.
  18. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I am in a deer hunting situation I am not familiar with: No pressure.

I could have filled my buck tag the first 20 minutes of bow season. I have had does, fawns, and young bucks within spitting distance a couple times, rock tossing distance dozens of times. No pressure.

There was a doe with a unique scar I watched all spring and summer. Does can be difficult to ID and manage, so her scar was important. More important was she was without a baby. She needed to go. And did. No pressure.

Our freezer is abundantly full of meat and veggies from last year and this year as well. We have made jerky until we are ... we have made a lot. Our family loves it, so do we. I considered putting several little bags of jerk in the 'mystery box' but it was packed full to say the least. No pressure.

All this is said to say there always seemed to be a pressure involved with hunting. Pressure from others looking for blood on a pant leg, pressure from others whose expectations may or may not have been appropriate, or pressure put on myself. The latter being a compilation of the former and personal expectations. Or hopes. Hope is not a plan.

The difference now? Blessings. Patience. No pressure. I recently had a beautiful year and a half old 125 pound buck walk within a few feet of me. I had never seen him before. I never raised my bow on him. I have a small hit list; he ain't on it. The aforementioned patience has allowed me to see tons of deer activity this year, including lots of the sparring @Ahnlaashock mentioned (you and I were at the same poker table last night). In days of pressured past, I would have taken the first opportunity and never seen many of these sights. Watching wildlife body language fascinates me. No pressure.

Mrs. Lover and I recently made jerky from "custom ground beef" a friend of a friend of a friend raised and had butchered. We were very disappointed in both fat content (was supposed to be 90+% lean) and flavor compared to our deer jerk. Yesterday she said wants me to get a "medium size" deer to grind everything other than the tenderloins. OK, pressure. :) Naaa.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Ahnlaashock likes this.
  19. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Where did you finish? I was fourth, and it was my own fault. I made a huge stack and then called it all off, or tried to take people out and lost. Paid a little over six million, but I should have been second at least.

There were four 30 yards from my front door this morning. The chase the fawns behavior is continuing.
    From interactions, I am going to say the first doe out of this local group is already moving towards her time. I will be sitting out watching tomorrow evening if it isn't raining. There is a 140's to 150's buck that is seen within 100 yards of my house every year, but I have only seen him once. I hope he is twice that big this year!
    Three years back, I climbed into my stand and the chain was loose on opening morning. A couple of minutes of that with no wrench to fix it, I climbed down, retrieved one of the folding outdoor event chairs, and settled in facing the direction I expected him to come from. By the time I knew he was there, he was within 20 yards, behind my right shoulder coming towards me. No way to move sunk down in the chair with the crossbow pointed to my left. He walked 30 feet of me to my right and after he passed me, I tried to ease the bow up. He hit the afterburners and was gone about half a second after the chair made the first tiny noise. I was sitting at one end of a gate, and he went around the other end of the gate!
    It is a remembered hunt none the less.

Checking out the Allman Betts Band this morning!

Loin Lover likes this.
  20. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    2nd

I'm still being picky. He is really healthy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020