tuning up for bow season

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Loin Lover, Aug 23, 2018.

1. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Good to hear! I drew a permit for south central kansas.

2. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I see a ton of deer in that area. Have any idea where you'll be hunting?

Loin Lover likes this.
  3. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    kingman county, about 40 miles east of Pratt.

4. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    That outta be spectacular. Just south of there around Medicine Lodge I hear is really good. This past week I drove through Pratt 3 times heading to Bucklin.

5. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    After 30+ years of baseball, softball, and bow hunting my right shoulder sounds like Rice Krispies most of time :( Pulling a bow HURTS now-a-days.

6. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    @strat_strummer Here is a look at my food plot in progress. I am de-rocking now. I call them 'Titanic iceberg' rocks. Just a couple inches showing on top, 200 pounds underground. My theory is the seeds I sow will not grow on rock. I may change my theory soon. :)

Attached Files:

strat_strummer and squierTony like this.
  7. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I got into bow hunting in the early '90s. After upgrading through used compound bows I finally budgeted for a nice Mathews. Funny thing was, a Hoyt shot and felt better and was quieter than the Mathews in my budget. I used the Hoyt many years. Without getting into HIPPA, haha, my state allows a medical exemption for crunchy shoulders like we have. I am allowed to used a crossbow throughout regular archery season.
    I choose not to debate when someone is critical of one tool vs another for hunting. Each situation is unique. I have fallen in love with crossbow hunting. Mine is probably much more capable than I am. I tend to use it with the same compound bow distance mentality -- 40 yards or less. Less preferably.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  8. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Not for bow season but I've been scouting for rifle season whilst availing myself of open season on Jacks (a friend is a pro chef and gave me some cooking guidance). If the number of trails is an indication I found a good spot.

Loin Lover and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  9. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

The only thing I hunt with a bow are FITA targets.
    [​IMG]
    I just started up with it late last winter, but then we (SCA) had to cancel practises in March.
    It should be starting up again soon though, now that we can practise outdoors. I use a 62" 35# recurve bow.

The odd thing I find is that most of the fun is just the activity of nocking an arrow, drawing, and loosing, with minimal delay after drawing. I don't get bent out of shape if I miss the target entirely.

I really should set up a makiwara target in my back yard and practise with blunts to keep in shape for it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  10. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Dr. Squier

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    You have a ton <<<"pun intended" of work ahead of you....:D Looks like a great place though.....
    I sure miss hunting but the only thing I can hunt now is Grouse. My busted up body just doesn't allow it and venison is high in Iron and I can't have that for sure...

Loin Lover likes this.
  11. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Although I have shot many recurve and long bows, I never hunted with them. I never became proficient enough for my personal standards. However, I love shooting them. Archery is a wonderful activity IMO. The mystical flight of the arrow.

My bro-in-law set up a 10 yard shooting "range" in his basement many years ago. He shot year 'round.

12. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    In the 80s I was a staff shooter for York archery but gave it up because it rapidly turned in to something I had to do vs. something I wanted to do. The upside to that was I got all my gear free. I'm not even sure if they exist anymore but I believe they still make traditional bows. It's been several years since I've even had a bow in my hands. With my beat up body, I'm not so sure I could even pull it back....

Loin Lover likes this.
  13. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I shot hundreds of bows in the past 30 years ranging in poundage from 40 to 90 trying to get the most speed I possibly could until I ran into an older gentleman that used a mid 80s PSE bow set around the 55# mark that consistantly took big bucks . He told me that he was very comfortable shooting that bow and it the game didn't know the difference between it and a $2k Mathews. Right then and there I went back and started thinking about which bows I had that I thought shot the best (all Hoyts) and figured out what they all had in common and the main thing was they were the lighter poundage bows. Now I'm shooting a #60 short axis to axis bow and I've not looked back. I've not even looked at what's new because it does its job and I'm not killing myself trying to practice. I guess I should have learned that lesson years ago and saved me some money lol.

14. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

I'd do that too, if my basement ceiling was 6" higher.
    [​IMG]

... or if the joists went in the other direction.

Loin Lover likes this.
  15. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I did too. In the winter time I shot indoor ranges so it was great practice. Summer time was outdoor 3D animal shoots. It got to the point I had to shoot in order and that took the fun out of it. I was shooting a hour before work, a hour for lunch and several hours after work.

Loin Lover likes this.
  16. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    @squierTony you nailed it, literally. Smooth and steady usually wins in the long run. My personal standard is knowing my equipment, knowing my capability, and shot placement. Folks have been ethically taking whitetail deer and larger animals for hundreds of years with less than 50# draw bows.

When I first started bow hunting, early '90s with very used equipment, overdraws were the big deal. Many would shorten their aluminum arrows 4-6", increasing speed significantly. I practiced with guys shooting them, even shot a 3D tourney where my used Bear Whitetail bow made me look homeless compared to others. No matter, those bows were LOUD and very unforgiving. Most guys did not bother changing their arrow size, merely cut them. Wrong answer! I saw some catastrophic failures.

The Hoyt I mentioned earlier was a model SR-200. Nothing fancy by today's standards. Was very formidable in its day. Once dialed in it was simple to group 4" shots at 30 yards. I occasionally practiced 40 yard shots. The longest I ever shot a deer was 32. Unfortunately, I sold the bow and a climbing stand I made after returning from Iraq.

After checking a trail cam this morning I can look forward to mosquito swattin' season, AKA bow season in early September.

Sticker Kickers  with 9er July 30 2020.jpg

17. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
  18. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    OK, I have kept it quiet long enough. I knew it was a matter of time. You recently became to know him as Daryl. I have known him for years as Squatcher. Well, Daryl's new found fame turned him to Judas quicker than you could say conspiracy theory. He dropped a dime on my deer, but thankfully the lasers shot by the aliens were not calibrated.

Spike laser miss 1 Aug 16 2020.jpg

squierTony likes this.
  19. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Can't pull one anymore.
    A story from some years back. The state clubs finally agreed to have a real state championship shoot.
    A man with one arm and a piece of leather on the string showed up, and won his class drawing with his teeth! Then someone complained he was cheating by using a release aid!

vinbur and Loin Lover like this.
  20. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    is that a poorly shot laser or a boomerang headed right at him? Those are some nice bucks you have on camera. Good luck with the mosquitoes.

Loin Lover likes this.