tuning up for bow season

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Loin Lover, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    As the kids say, just sayin'.

Attached Files:

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Dr. Squier

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I can smell the BBQ way over here...:D

Loin Lover likes this.
  3. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Dear Walker's Game Ear, I have wanted to soop up my hearing ability while in a bow stand for eons. I finally squeezed a pair, Razor model with an oddball (cheapest) camo pattern, into my budget. Please refer to the attached owners manual you provided as I guide you through my review. Guitar pick on edge for size reference. Walker's game ear instructions.jpg

Ladies, gentlemen, and others, There is a guaranteed reason a consumer, i.e. me, would want to hear chipmunks rutting activities from 50 yards. My hearing sucks. The Razor model amplifies well. Well, actually once I figured out the controls they work well. Reference the photo where it says #&^*(&)*($*#%. See that? Me either. What about what it says about the microphones, @#*&^&#. Can you read that?
    Boy I tell you what! (BITYW) When a jay bird lands 15 feet above you and screeches! Whoooa doggies it is loud and clear. Kinda reminded me of Molly Hatchet in Mempho. Oh yeah, the review. Hey Mr. / Mrs. Walker, please include a 4X power magnifying glass or quality rifle scope with my next order. Donkey shorts.

4. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    JoeInMichigan and Loin Lover like this.
  5. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I popped a little buck on the last evening of our muzzle loader season which was this past Sunday. He'll make me alot of jerky and some tasty backstraps... Kept waiting on a big boy but I figured I'd take what came by on the last day.

Loin Lover and strat_strummer like this.
  6. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    These guys keep giving me the slip.. I'll be waiting when they show up... 2019101995195841.jpg 2019101995200015.jpg

Loin Lover and strat_strummer like this.
  7. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Had some luck this evening. Called this guy in from nearly 300 yds. Maybe it's time to hang up the bow, might be hard to beat this one. thumbnail_IMG_20191107_173144790~2.jpg

strat_strummer and JoeInMichigan like this.
  8. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Holy hell!!!!!!

Loin Lover likes this.
  9. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    Dang! Nice buck!!! Nice calling him in.

Loin Lover likes this.
  10. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Awesome Buck @vinbur congrats...

Loin Lover likes this.
  11. seua

seua Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2014
    France
    bow hunting, the only hunting art to be respected...
    but, I didn't see any mention about rabbit or fox?
    is it too hard too hunt?
    (just a question..)

12. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Holy horse @vinbur ! What a stud. Awesome buck, congrats!

Firearm season opens tomorrow. All my stands are designed for 50 yard max shooting lanes. In other words bow stands. Folks who only hunt with 300+ yard capable rifles decline my invite to hunt here. That's ok. I have hunted with rifle/shotgun many times, so do not have anything against using those tools. I have never killed with a handgun. So that is my firearms season goal. Set up and hunt virtually the same as bowhunting, about a 45-50 yard comfort zone.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    strat_strummer and squierTony like this.
  13. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Thanks man! I have never really considered hunting with a handgun, would definitely add another degree of challenge. What will you be using?

Loin Lover likes this.
  14. JoeInMichigan

JoeInMichigan Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2018
    Michigan
    Just about everywhere in this state is max.100yds. To much vegetation and rolling terrain , I know some folks who hunt farmland that shoot big yardage from hedgerow to hedgerow but most are in the woods and forests 25-75 yd. I used my old dan wesson .41 many times successfully,but never put anything down range over 15-20 yds. I enjoyed it with a revolver but now stick to mostly bow. All my stands are less than 100 yd.lanes,and my best stand is in swamp so thick lucky if shoot more than 25 feet without risking a twig deflection but have sunk many a Easton in the front shoulders of dinners. I think I might do the revolver out of it now ,weather permitting,this gun season now since you got me thinkin bout it.Thanks and good luck!

Loin Lover likes this.
  15. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    A custom 1911 .45 ACP. It was a huge surprise gift for my final career promotion. Mrs. Lover got the gift idea when I asked a custom gunsmith in 2010 if Colt or others were doing any special commemorative 100 anny models. It has mostly Wilson Combat parts. It is much more capable than I am. It is a truly fine firearm.
    1911.jpg
    Your buck--wowsa! I claim to be a meat hunter but I doubt if I would have said 'naa, I'll give him another year'. o_O I have killed several many would have mounted including two 11s and several 9s and 10s. None were that cool combo of heavy-wide-tall-or maybe freaky. Yours is all of the above with crab claws, stickers, forked tines--gorgeous!

I did something I have rarely done over the decades--trade a firearm. It was a .30-06 which had been my deer rifle for about 20 years. I got it used (bargain!) and it served me well. It had to be something special for me to swap, my Les Paul. I had taken deer over 250 with it and it was more capable than me as well. Yet due to where I will hunt the rest of my days I no longer need it. I still have the Winchester .30-30 I killed my first deer with. I am good with it out to 150 or so, more than any of my stands require. I realize the .30-30 is considered antiquated compared to ,270, -.06, 7mm, .308, .300, et al, and called a brush gun by many. Call them what you want, but I bet more whitetail have been killed with them than any other caliber.
    All that said I will pistol hunt just like I bow hunt. Where is my orange? Haha. Gonna be 23 again in the morning, critters ought to be stirring.

strat_strummer likes this.
  16. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    The past couple years I have had relatively new and yard sale trail cams go udders up. I ponied up for a new one, albeit low end $44 one. It appears to work.

I am beginning to start a new micro food plot and build a 6' off the ground stand. All materials will be natural or repurposed. Health prevents me from climbing high. I have adapted and been successful getting critters within 30 yards from brush blinds. This location is on a slope, so 25 yards away I will be 10' or better higher. I should be able to hide, read, and nap inconspicuously.

EDIT--continuing post

I plan to bring a rake and tiny tiller to literally plant where I clear lanes, 15 - 50 yards from the stand site. Also I can drag a few hundred feet of water hose there if extra dry. Has anyone ever used one of the commercial 'no till' or 'throw and go' seeds? This is in the woods, heavily shaded. I will remove a couple dying large trees which will open a little canopy (and use as a natural funnel).
    I have ordered a genuine soil sample kit. I will use its info before doing much but expect to lime and fertilize. I can't expect results by simply scattering seeds.
    I am leaning toward Whitetail Institute Secret Spot or Bowstand due to their shade tolerance and brassicas for annual and ladino clover for perennial. What have you had good results with on a small scale?
    Will plant turnips about mid August.

This pic is not me protesting in the woods, flashing a peace sign. It was my second test walk by.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  17. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I have spent an hour or three most early mornings the past couple weeks in my new office. I still have lots to do before planting. It is about 200 yards behind my house.

I decided against clearing lanes, deciding to open up a 4000 square foot plot. I will leave select trees which help with the blinding rising sun and remove a couple which will shade the plot on the south side. Raking leaves and rocks will be several days work. I can get my itty bitty tiller in there for another labor of love. Or just labor.

The platform is 7' off the ground attached to four trees. Mrs. Lover will pad and upholster a genuine artificial leather bench seat and back rest. I will have 2x4" rails for safety and chootin' rests also. I will paint the treated wood some kind of drab something I have laying around. The majority of camouflaging will be from camo netting. I should be able to nod off without being seen.

My soil sample shocked me. I knew we had high lime content, yet expected to need to add lime. The pH was 7.7, no lime needed. Yeah! I will plant Whitetail Institute No Plow mix of brassica and Mrs. Lover and my favorite, turnips, around mid August. The soil analysis says I need 6-12-12 fertilizer.

Knock on wood (my head) I can establish a long term, easy to access yet remote honey hole for years to come.

Here is a pic from in the stand and one from the far lower edge. In that one the platform is in the upper left/center (imagine it camoed) and there is about 500 square feet of plot to the right not seen from my Kodak Brownie.

@JoeInMichigan -- Hope you're reading this and ok partner.

Attached Files:

18. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    My first buck sighting this year. Meet Dub Nub.

dub nub July 9 2020.jpg

squierTony and strat_strummer like this.
  19. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I've been driving (working) in southern Kansas hauling grain and man I've seen a few giants in the corn and wheat fields. Saw a huge buck yesterday that looked like he had a laundry basket on his head lol. Seen a few mulie bucks around Dodge city too.

Loin Lover likes this.