tuning up for bow season

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Loin Lover, Aug 23, 2018.

1. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Getting closer folks! Anyone getting pictures of anything exciting? I only have one camera out, plan on checking it tommorow.

Loin Lover and squierTony like this.
  2. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I’ll be on 100% public land this year so there won’t be any cameras set out. Been looking for a place locally with no luck. The public land I hunt is about 90 minutes from home so it’s not too far really. I’ll be a weekend warrior this go around.

vinbur and Loin Lover like this.
  3. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Dr. Squier

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I crippled down to my plot today, changed the card in the camera. Got pics of two bucks I had not identified / named this year. Caribou and Blacktail 8.

Mrs. Lover is not a fan of non typical, gnarly horns. I love 'em all. :) She saw Caribou and said "he needs to be in the freezer." I love the way she thinks.

WGI_0065.JPG

vinbur and strat_strummer like this.
  4. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Dr. Squier

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Since I am still gimping along at about 40%, and it is a gorgeous 62 degrees, I am headed to my "Big Dead Oak Plot" with my baby tiller this morning. It will probably take parts of several days to get the ground turned enough for planting.

Last August I tried Whitetail Institutes 'No Plow' since it claimed to be shade tolerant. It performed beyond my expectations. It flourished and was a very tasty nutrition source. I planted August 16th last year, fenced the plot off to allow growth, then took the fence down mid October. Growth wise I could have opened it up much sooner.

No Plow is an annual. I planted WI's 'Fusion' as a perenniel around the 1st of April, just prior to knee surgery. It is a clover/chickory blend. Once again it has performed very well. Time will tell if tilling it under and planting another round of an annual will prevent or encourage the perenniel next spring.

I raked leaves from and scratched the surface of the Farrel Plot a couple weeks ago. It is a 200 square foot micro plot I have experimented with the past couple years. It gets virtually no direct sunlight, just beams through the canopy. I have enough hose to run to it (and the BDOP) so moisture is not a problem. I scattered a few handfuls of the No Plow and watered. It sprouted within two days and was doing ok last I checked. You may notice a ladder stand about 22 yards in the background.

FP 21 4 days sprouted July 24.jpg

5. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

Every season is e-bow season ;)

6. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Dr. Squier

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Food plot time! I tilled a couple weeks ago. This blend of seed, No Plow, would probably grow on a rock, but we all need a good root system IMO. :)

There was a slight snafu in my order with Whitetail Institute so they made a great deal with me and tossed in an experimental bag of seed. I will sow it heavily on the far left (as viewed from my hunting stand) to see how it does.
    According to 'plant by the signs' this entire week is good planting for above ground stuff. Hint hint.

dop21 fert day Aug 15.jpg

Attached Files:

vinbur and squierTony like this.
  7. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    I bought a few cameras yesterday, i was down to one. put them out and checked the one i had out. Nothing big but plenty of deer around. I haven't heard any reports of EHD , but i'm sure we lost some deer. We have been super dry the last half of summer, alot of small waterholes dried up. MFDC0048.JPG

Loin Lover likes this.
  8. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Dr. Squier

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Skeeter swattin' and archery deer season opened Saturday. First time I have not hunted opening day in many years, I am still on the disabled list.

I checked my food plot earlier today. Recent rains have it growing well. I will take the fence down around mid October.
    dop21 8 Sep4.jpg

9. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I have a few bows, and xbows. Unfortunately Arizona likes to do a lottery.

Loin Lover likes this.
  10. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Theres tons of deer at my firewood spots 20200405_173401.jpg 20191223_135030.jpg 20191223_122922.jpg 20200405_180838.jpg

11. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Old pics from last year firewood 20201201_163854.jpg

12. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Dr. Squier

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    I'm tagged out for the year. ;-)

arrow through foot.jpg

vinbur and Viking like this.
  13. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I hope you are going to be fine, and I hope you were close to the house!

There is a story to be told here.
    My father had a Remington Model 1100 that he turkey hunted with. It had a camo sock over it for twenty years. It was getting frayed, and he snuggled into an old rootball and propped the barrel between the toes of his crossed boots.
    The gobbler came in, and dad slid his hand around under, so he could get the safety on both sides to push it off silently. He had eased the gun up and back a little, and did not know there was a string hooked in the trigger. As he slid his hand back around to shooting position, the camo sock moved, and the string pulled the trigger, dumping a duplex turkey load through the toe of his boot. He was lucky it was as close as it was, so it put the entire load, wad and all through the end of his second toe, blowing all the skin loose on the bottom of his big toe.
    He as a mile and a half from the house with a cranky four wheeler he had to stand on that foot to kick start!
    Such lessons can be learned from!

14. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Kinda hoping thats a joke Loin Lover. But you don't seem like the joking kind about that kind of stuff. Get well quick and feel free to let us know how it happened, might save someone else some pain. I had an arrow break and go into my arm several yrs. ago, not as bad as it could have been and definately not as bad as your wound.

Loin Lover and speelyei like this.
  15. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Dr. Squier

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Oh yeah, just jokin' here. Yet that sure looks like a slick shaved leg with a crossbow arrow decorating it. I do not know anything about photoshop, but it sure looks authentic.

My only statement was "not very good penetration." Sorry, it's a bowhunting thing. LOL

Have you been able to get out? I could have slung an arrow several times but have not yet. We are fortunate to have some in the freezer from last year. I am still gimpy from knee surgery so everything would need to be perfect for me. No matter, I see gorgeous sunrises, hear birds I cannot identify, and have peace and quiet to read.

16. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Whew!! Relieved to hear that. Been out a couple times. A couple chances at does but haven't been ready to deal with one yet. Should start getting good now, i'll be hitting it hard the next few weeks.

17. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I am glad to hear you did not really hurt yourself!
    When dad shot his toe off, he made it back to the house and they took him to the hospital, where they had to wrap the skin around his big toe and clean up the stump of the toe next to it so they kept him.
    Later, they wheeled a second bed into the room, and the guy was handcuffed to the bed. The two of them got to talk after the law left the room and moved to a chair out in the hallway.
    That guy knew where a big gobbler strutted every morning, but you can't hunt there. He slipped in, and when the gobbler showed, he shot him, grabbed him, and ran to his car. He opened the trunk, threw the still flopping bird plus his gun into the trunk and took off. He got home and opened the trunk, where the still alive turkey went nuts, and in his thrashing, he triggered the man's gun and shot him back!
    The guy was arrested, charged with all kinds of stuff, laying in the hospital after surgery!
    Karma lives!

18. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Dr. Squier

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Finally got a yearling doe today. 18 yards, textbook. I am very greatful.

A fella I met at the physical therapy clinic helped me with some of the muscle work. We had about 1 1/2 good legs between us. :-O I gave him all the meat. He plans to make jerky out of all of it sans backstraps & tenderloins.

squirrel with horns.jpg

vinbur and Twostratsfornow like this.