tuning up for bow season

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Loin Lover, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I take a guitar with me. Alone, away from the background noise we are all used to, you really don't need an amp to practice, and the little battery amp I have works just well enough to practice. Power chord stuff sounds really good on it. Not much else, but I play almost every day when camping.
    This year I did not camp, so deer camp has been my living room. Deer Season has had me working up to actually making some noise with the strat.
    My deer camp set up this season is a CN2 neck on an SE body with GM .25's in it, through a DS-60 and a sonic maximizer into a Studio Pro 112. Still getting used to a strat again, and learning the .25 pickups.
    I once went three or four days, but usually I play every single day, deer season or not!

2. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Just got home from kansas. I had from Friday afternoon until Wednesday to hunt. Ended up taking this guy Saturday afternoon. Awesome hunt, and I shot him within a couple hundred yards of where my mom grew up, and I spent many, wonderful summer days as a kid. I've been fortunate enough to kill a few, IMG_20201121_160317679.jpg very nice deer. But, the flood of emotions, I had after this one, will likely never be topped.

Geode and squierTony like this.
  3. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Nice.
    Today is the last day of the firearms season here. The weather is comfortable and dry, but my get up and go done got up and went. The fourth is the antlerless season, but I hunt with a crossbow and my archery tag is good during the antlerless season. I will get back in the stand about the second. Unless a buck starts chasing in the area again anyway.

strat_strummer likes this.
  4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    My get up and go went several years ago...:(

CVSteve and Ahnlaashock like this.
  5. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    B7C67217-83E7-4D60-B7DC-F2C72DBAE9B8.jpeg
    89315D59-0245-430A-A5A4-36A0B671CB34.jpeg
    Note the times on these pics. I saw him last Thursday at about 5:50 pm. While I was deciding whether or not it was light enough to shoot, he flipped me off and left the county. I’m actually amazed that he was ever there in daylight. I run this feeder year ‘round and 1-3:00 am is when the deer come to it. And, he did not visit between these two photos. I hope he survives the season.

Geode and Loin Lover like this.
  6. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Congrats @vinbur! Dandy buck and at a cool place. I can only imagine hunting places of my youth.

7. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    The gun season, and now the antlerless season have come and gone.
    I established a fake scrape 20 yards from my stand when I started, and the eight point was on the ground by 7 the first morning I sat it.
    I kept it fresh though, and now a deer has a large over six foot area under a cedar branch he is maintaining about twenty yards out. It is almost a perfect circle, and the deer keeps the leaves out of it, but it has no strong smell, and there is very little pawing other than keeping the leaves out. Two adult does were seen within fifty yards of the stand and 100 of the scrape about an hour ago.
    My problem is that it is a morning buck stand, and I have been too big a wimp to get up early and go freeze my tail off.
    All I have to do is get up, lay a scent trail and climb into the stand, to have a good chance to see horns within range.
    Part of my problem is, with the freezer full, I would only be looking for big horns.

Loin Lover likes this.
  8. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    If I use fox urine on my boots & climb my tree stand, I wonder if the deer actually thinks, 'What's a fox doin up in that tree..'?

Ahnlaashock likes this.
  9. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Cover scents are a complicated subject.
    When I was younger, I had the big buck bug bad. I washed my clothing in a detergent with no scent or brighteners in it, then in baking soda, air dried them, and then packed them in plastic bags with fresh cut cedar branches for a week or so before using them. I walked creeks or ditches in the wet gravel and scrubbed my boots clean in a completely normal smell for the environment. At one point, I used military chemical warfare suits with the charcoal linings to try to cut my scent completely. Even then, I carried in a climbing stand and got as high off the ground as I could.
    I know a man who keeps a beer flat of persimmons to stomp around in with his hunting boots before he enters the woods.
    In Missouri, you cannot hunt spring gobblers after the middle of the day, so fishing, stand building and such are needed for the afternoon/evening. That year, we went to a farm pond and caught a nice mess of catfish. We cleaned the fish and donated them to the land owner's freezer, then we cleaned up. We were in our hunting clothes and boots the entire time. We were camping and wearing the same clothes the next day. The next morning, I had twin bucks with what looked like fat mushrooms growing on their heads already, walk on either side of me at about ten yards, without spooking. My father said a a group of does crossed his track until an older doe locked up at his trail. He said she trailed right to him and was within five yards trying to figure out what he was, when he finally had to move. We figured it was the smell of the fish that was on our boots and hunting clothes.
    One of the original deer attractant/cover scents had nothing even remotely whitetail in it. It did have beaver castor in it.
    Hunting on the farm, where diesel fuel was a completely normal smell, the wildlife would note, and then completely ignore your trail, since they were no different than the ones you left every single day, and a whiff of diesel on the wind could happen pretty much anywhere at any time. If they spooked from it, they would be running twenty hours a day.
    Too much depends on the situation.
    Today, the scent of people is always on the breeze where I hunt, no matter the wind direction so their nose is not as effective as it is out in the middle of the national forest. I watched a video recently where a man and his camera man were busted at range, by the metallic sound of him clipping his release on the string. What works here in the suburban type situation, and what works out in the middle of the national forest, are not the same.

Loin Lover, CVSteve and Geode like this.
  10. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    True remarks, A-shock.
    Time spent in a tree stand, can give us pause, to let our minds wander.
    A buddy & I once discussed the legalities of tranquilizing a deer & releasing it after a fresh paint job of safety orange or Camo.
    Wouldn't that blow the next hunters mind..?

Ahnlaashock likes this.
  11. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I used to be a scent snob too then when I started camping and being around a camp fire for days in my camo and still seeing deer, knowing I smell like a camp fire, and killing deer I kinda gave up on all that but I do still play the wind as much as possible.

Ahnlaashock and Loin Lover like this.
  12. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I have been watching bow hunting videos off YouTube lately. The young guns. Guys with two stands, scent reduction clothing and pro-grade cameras in the stands. The guys that pack a full kit in and set up stands, like I used to do alone. Climbing sticks and hang on stands, not the climber or ladder stand I used to use.
    What I am enjoying are the number of real world situations they present. So, you let a 150's buck walk right under you and yes, I think that was laughter as he trotted over the hill, kind of situations. In several, the deer gets in a spot where the shooter can't shoot, so they exchange camera control and bow. They show the times when the buck was just out of range and the times they get busted.
    Of course, they are hunting places managed for deer, or where there is a large population of larger bucks.
    The "Chasing November" series is one such. Another concentrates on urban hunting, which is the reality here.
    The other things they use, are box stands or even a fake haybale. I like elevated stands, but the ability to use an ATV to pull a small trailer onto the field, back it into the weeds, set the levelers and then drive away, leaving a comfy blind that looks like a slightly elongated bale of hay to hunt out of, appeals to my age quite strongly!

Geode likes this.
  13. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    Living The Dream:

2 men, an International-
    Harvester Scout, Camp
    in Newfoundland &
    2 Caribou & 2 Moose!!
    $$$$$

Living The Reality:

(A New Wish List)
    A Chainsaw, A Trailer,
    Dry Ice, Wrapping &
    Packaging Materials,
    Tarps, New Freezers
    for the garage @ home &
    An understanding wife who can actually cook game meat....
    (Priceless)

Ahnlaashock and squierTony like this.
  14. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Living the dream.
    Three buddies in whitetail country with one of the "three man" tents, when it snows and then gets really cold three days in after raining.
    Lighting the lantern warmed things up really quick, so after a night of shivering in wet to frozen beds, we tried to light the propane lantern to warm the tent, only to find that it was so cold the propane would not come out.

The reality.
    Drawing straws to see who took the propane bottle into their sleeping bag to warm it up enough for it to work! Two of the three had so much fun that they never camped in a tent ever again in even chilly weather!

15. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Living the dream/reality: Planning for retirement; buying a cabin in the woods; building our retirement home; ability to hunt from my bedroom deck. :)

I've watched these three numerous times. The yearling on the left has a date with my freezer before season ends.

Persimmon plot does Dec 18 2020.jpg

strat_strummer likes this.
  16. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I hope you stick with it many many years Mike.

Loin Lover likes this.
  17. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    At dark thirty this morning I was slipping through the woods, no hurry, well before daylight.
    I stopped for a few seconds to listen. I do this often as I slip.
    Just as I took the next step, from about 5 feet away, it growl-hissed! I growl-hissed! It ran away! I wet myself a little.
    Don't know what it was. It was not a (whitetail) deer. I can recognize their backsides blindfolded.
    Watched the beautiful sunrise God gave us. :)

Thanks fella. As we have touched on without ringing HIPPA alarms, many of us ain't what we once were physically. Thankfully I can still use a crossbow, although it seems to get heavier every time I pick it up. I have established a few good stands very near our home, both with comfort in mind. No A/C or heaters nor electricity (yet? haha). I may need to invent a wee wee system for multiple layers of clothes and minimal movement. It Depends. :)

Attached Files:

Geode likes this.
  18. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Bobcat?

Loin Lover likes this.
  19. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    It may have been a bobact or, unfortunately, a feral cat. Possibly a coon, I have heard them hiss. It scared me and happened so quickly I can't say for sure.
    I've wondered if it was something bedded down, asleep like I could have been? Or was the critter a predator laying in wait alongside my small trail? I dunno.
    I have not seen a bobcat in 8+ years here. Neighbors saw one about four years ago. I have only seen two or three in the wild. They are gorgeous, muscular, sleek critters.