tuning up for bow season

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Loin Lover, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Nice buck!
    I can't pull a regular bow anymore, so I am using a crossbow, but I started with a 55# Hoyt I painted in four color leaf camo.
    Not hunting horns, but I have not seen a buck yet.

strat_strummer and squierTony like this.
  2. Forum Guest

Forum Guest Squier-Meister

Jan 22, 2019
    United States
    Nice buck, Tony!

squierTony likes this.
  3. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    The wind was petty strong yesterday afternoon and gusty, so I did not go out. My daughter was grilling and came in to tell me there was a deer in the road. I walked out to see, and watched at least one buck chase a doe into the woods. Ear tip wide 8 or 10 would be my read off the hot two seconds I could see it. Heavy muscled body, but the horns looked like maybe a two or three year old. Two others but all I saw was deer chasing or running with the doe.
    The rut is on, so now I will have to sit the stand for the next few days. If I was serious, now would be mock scrape time.

squierTony and Loin Lover like this.
  4. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Friendly warning.
    If you upgrade to one of the newer very fast crossbows, do yourself a favor and also upgrade to broadheads designed for the newer, faster, more powerful bows.
    A bent broadhead without blades or tip and no blood trail is not what you want to find after the shot.
    My current broadheads work great around 300 fps, but at 400plus, they simply fall apart. Blades break, the tip snaps off and the body of the head will look like it was made out of clay, deformed in every direction at once.
    If you are shooting one of the newer crossbows, if the head doesn't say it is for the newer more powerful bows, then leave them in the case with the old bow and buy new broadheads for the new bow. The rubber band type will need more than one of the rubber retaining bands to shoot accurately at those speeds also, so I recommend the Spitfires.
    You won't like the result if you are using cheap mechanicals on one of the faster bows.

vinbur likes this.
  5. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    My son got his first bow deer this morning, a perfect 8.

Levi's buck Nov 5 2020.jpg

6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Very nice buck, congrats to your son from Idaho...:)

Ahnlaashock and Loin Lover like this.
  7. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
  8. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Mrs. Lover wants to take her first deer. Firearm season opens next Saturday. I blew the dust off ole reliable, knocked some dirt daubers from her barrel, and checked zero. Good to go.

Winchester .30-30, pre-'64 but unsure what year. I took my first deer with it decades ago.

.30-30.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  9. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Beautiful .30-30. I have a mint condition Marlin 336bl .30-30 I can't shoot because I don't want to put a scope on it. I can't see the sites without reading glasses and I can't see my target if I wear my reading glasses. I can't wear bifocals so I've been wanting to trade it for a Jazz guitar but nobody is interested here in Idaho.

Loin Lover likes this.
  10. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Thanks John. Can't tell from the pic unless familiar with these, it has the left hand side mount scope. Kinda queer, takes a little getting used it.

11. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Yes I see that. I used to have two model 94s that I thought about putting a scope on but never did. I agree it looks odd but a super fun gun to shoot.
    I just dont have the eyes I used too so I have no choice but to use a scope and then I only shoot flat shooting small calibers.
    The rifles I have now besides the .30-30 is several .22 lr , a .22-250, .220 swift, .223, .243, .22 Hornet, and a .204 Ruger. Call me a speedoholic...:D

Loin Lover likes this.
  12. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Saw a gorgeous sunrise and when Mother Nature awoke the woods came to life. Once again, the Kojak Blackie camera in my hPhone1 is not the greatest, especially in low light.

I watched this little buck about 30 minutes, then he made a scrape. I have only witnessed that a couple times. Once again, no pressure. I never lifted my bow.

Attached Files:

strat_strummer likes this.
  13. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    Got one on the ground this evening. Not the biggest buck in the woods, but an exciting hunt! IMG_20201111_163200114.jpg

14. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    vinbur likes this.
  15. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Apologies to those who do not hunt, but the next paragraphs are hunter territory.

I had seen the one buck chasing does that I posted about, and the next evening, I had two larger bucks that looked like twins slip through about 25 yards from my stand in heavy brush. When they hit a clear area where I could shoot, they were in a no shoot direction. I cut one shooting lane a little longer and let things settle without hunting for two days.
    They had long main beams from a side view, and the main beams are very high above their heads. One of them was limping a little on a front leg, but I could see no injury. Can't tell you about tines, since I could not see tines in the brush. I could tell there were tines at times, but never got a good look.
    I did tend the mock scrape those days while I let them get used to the shooting lane being cleared.
    Anyway, I went out two days ago at dawn and the smallest of the three I have seen stepped in my lane at 23 yards following the same trail as the other two. Three days from gun season, I was ready to fill the freezer. He was nervous and looked ready to bolt, so I slowly lifted the bow and settled in. He spotted the movement, and froze staring me down.
    Now, I am using a four power crossbow scope at 23 yards, and I could squirrel hunt with the crossbow at that range. I had between the eyes and the base of the neck clear. I waited for him to offer a better shot. He started to do the muscle twitch thing they do right before they bolt, and I dropped him in his tracks with the neck shot. Not a high percentage bow shot, but like I said, I knew the exact range and could place the arrow precisely.
    Nice about 120 pound eight point ear tip wide. Likely the one I saw running a doe the week before.

Old man rant coming after having a broadhead fail on me a week back.
    The Spitfire broadhead worked so well that the vanes were almost clean after passing through the neck, including bone. The white vane was still white. The broadhead made a large enough hole that they did not touch anything except on the edges as they passed through. Most of the shaft was dry. I cleaned the tip and put fresh blades on it before putting it back in the quiver. Even the tip was still needle sharp. At about 13 bucks a pop, the Spitfires are not cheap, but if you are shooting one of the high energy crossbows, they are worth every dime.

Loin Lover likes this.
  16. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Nice, congrats @Ahnlaashock

17. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Gave another nice buck a dirt nap last night. Took it with my 6.5 grendel I built earlier this year. 71599A20-F0C4-476E-AF8D-94417B5670D7.jpeg F34F4FFD-DD84-43F8-9504-2CBA212E66AA.jpeg

18. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Nice.
    I still have an any deer tag for bow and an antlerless for the rest of the other seasons. I may go hunt horns again, but the freezer is full. The pressure to sit the stand every day is gone.
    I use my bow in all of the deer seasons, so it is the same hunt for me, no matter the season.
    With the leaves down, it is time for an air rifle squirrel hunt in the national forest with a couple of grandsons after the orange army goes home.

Loin Lover and squierTony like this.
  19. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Now I have 3 in the freezer so I can get back to my guitar stuff. Haven’t really been here much.

Loin Lover and Ahnlaashock like this.