"Tuning" for "Bloom"

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by duceditor, Feb 1, 2018.

1. otma

otma Squier-holic

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
  2. Rgdavid

Rgdavid Squier Talker

Oct 13, 2021
    London
    You gotta have the blues to play the blues....

3. radiotech

radiotech Squier-Axpert

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I have this beautiful C&G white Strat,
    3A7C353A-828C-4188-969A-1FDCD1655B71.jpeg and I just wasn’t feeling the pickups, at low volumes I just wasn’t getting the Strat tone evenly from each string. I adjusted the heights a bit with no love. These are Alnico 3 pups, so I dialed in my fav Mustang III presets and started tweaking, and I found that increasing the gain from 1.5 to 2 higher than my other Strat presets (A-5 pickups), and adding just a smidge more bass made these pups come alive, especially as the master volume was increased to move more air. The next thing I knew two hours had passed enjoying this guitars tone for the first time since I got it.

shingh2002 likes this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    yes. But if you listen to such as BB King you realize the blues isn’t just ‘downers.’ Natural joy, too, is part of it. It is “life.” Real life with all that accompanies it.

For myself those are the parts I prefer to both live and sing about! The others I prefer to let flow away thru my pick and fingertips. :)

-don

Bob the builder likes this.
  5. Rgdavid

Rgdavid Squier Talker

Oct 13, 2021
    London
    Duceditor.. That's true too. Like muddy waters "the blues had a baby". It's bouncing happy :)

duceditor likes this.
  6. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-holic

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    This is such an overlooked factor, dialling in amps for different guitars. We often assume the tone we’ve worked for hours/days/weeks to nail should be set in stone, and maybe that’s right if we had a single electric guitar or atleast a #1, but Pickups can vary your tone so much (and then add the subtleties of tone woods) and it only makes sense that you should tweak your amp to get the most of your guitar’s output - whether that’s emphasising that particular guitars strengths or supporting its weaknesses. More often than not, I know I certainly don’t bother tweaking my valve amps from one guitar to the other. Just the gain.

This is probably one of the biggest wins for digital over valve where you can save specific presets. My Katana has a two presets of tones set to my Strat with 57/62s, 2 presets tuned to my Strat with P90, 2 tones set to my Les Pauls and 2 set to my “metal” guitars. On top of that I can tweak those on the amp when I go to use it and know they’ll revert back to their saved form without me having to memorise or make note of anything. Helps for a flakey player like myself!

The Hook Wizard amp may be the only valve amp out there that does anything close to offering that level of functionality.

duceditor and radiotech like this.
  7. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Nut

I think it's the amp more than guitars or effects.
    My black flag JTM50 '67 Plexi had it
    My Offset 45 had it.
    My JCM2000 DSL50, while fantastic sounding, did not
    My first Princeton Reverb probably had it on 10 but I so seldom ever went there, except when I was in a snit and would do a punk rock thrash (before it was even heard of)

I've heard it in a Vox AC30 handwired but it had to be seriously cranked, way past "Dude, turn it down" music store levels. But they knew me and I was the only one there and told them what I wanted to check out and see if the amp could 'bloom' (it did)