Travel Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Eddie, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    What do you guys take when you travel?

I had a Martin Backpacker about 2 decades again, and honestly, it sounded horrible. I'm hoping technology has advanced since then.

mb doug, nomadh, wickedtools and 3 others like this.
  2. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Nut

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    The best sounding acoustic I've ever heard or played is the Taylor GS Mini. It puts other full size guitars to shame. I've had the GAS for a mahogany Mini for a long time now. I shoulda snagged one when it popped up used locally for $35o but I hesitated and it was gone, gone, gone.

Have you tried one?

mb doug, VealCutlet, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  3. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

4. mitch_cumsteen

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    I had an APXT2 and it sounded uh-mazing plugged in but like a toy when played without amplification.

Nice and small though and not very expensive.

5. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm thinking the next time I travel a far distance, I'll just buy something from the local GC and then return it before I fly back. Is that unethical?

mb doug, Eddd, brodg68 and 3 others like this.
  6. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

lol

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  7. mitch_cumsteen

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    The Washburn Comfort Series and Mini Series is worth a look too. I played their bottom of the line model and at $180 it sounded really good...really good.

8. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
  9. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

20191004_204726.jpg I have an Anygig travel guitar, a VOX Amplug Blues, and a pair of headphones.

10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Long test-drive ;)

11. dboulders

dboulders Squier Talker

Feb 11, 2019
    New York
    Eddie you must've read my mind. I was searching eBay for a travel guitar after I ran into a guy in the park who was playing what looked like a strat neck sans body. We started talking about gear but I didn't think to ask him what he was playing.

These look awesome. What are your thoughts on it?

12. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Did it look something like this:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Travel...-1500000247125.gc?rNtt=travel guitar&index=34

I would be highly tempted to try and cut my own travel body. Find a cheapo Bullet, and cut around it. Would be an interesting project. But if I mess up ...

mb doug, Eddd and dbrian66 like this.
  13. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

I like it. It is not perfect; no travel guitar really is. It is all about the compromises. This one has a full 24 frets, double truss rod, neck is straight and true. The humbucker is too hot for me; I have a GM 57 to swap in someday. String changes suck. Action is very good, it is a comfortable guitar to play standing. Seated, not so much.

The Amplug is okay. Truly, it is better than I expected--I can get a good blues crunch out of it. There are not enough controls on it so not so many options, and this is exacerbated by the fact that the guitar has no tone or volume control at all.

Before this whole virus shutdown thing, I traveled often for my job. It is easy to take on a plane--it fits in the overhead bins, or even between the curved wall and window seat. I get a lot of comments when I noodle on it while waiting in the airport lobby or gate area for my next plane.

This is the older model of the Anygig. The new ones have a little bigger body to accommodate a better tuner arrangement.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is a full 25.5 inch scale, so it feels like a real guitar. Even has a TOM bridge so it is easy to adjust. The ball ends on the strings at the headless end of the guitar are small, and you need to carefully insert them on string changes.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    mb doug, Eddd, Eddie and 2 others like this.
  14. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    As another alternative, the Washburn Maverick comes in some kind of travel guitar configuration. Not sure if it is just the guitar layout or a 3/4 size. It looks like a usual Maverick, (Fairly small body to begin with)
    but with the hardtail tailpiece real close to the end/bottom of the guitar. Full size neck, just little to no body between the tailpiece and the endpin.

Nice thing is when you can find a Maverick, they are usually under $100. If you look sharp and move fast, super fast, they can be had closer to the $50 range. They don't last long. Comfortable wide necks and humbuckers.

10528627_1_x.jpg

'Normal' Maverick
    20160823_013950.jpg
    It's just a couple inches

15. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I don’t :( the few times I do travel, I usually
    have to travel very light....but I did get this tiny Harmony bass and justify it as my “travel bass”.

Attached Files:

16. Me ? ... no travel & no guitar.
    I'm a stick in the mud. :D Cheers, Barrie.

mb doug, Eddd, MI redneck and 3 others like this.
  17. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    I don’t have one... I’ve wondered about this question TONS and always wanted to get a cheap travel one, but... there are just so many options lol :D makes it hard to decide what to get

mb doug, Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  18. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    If I travel in a plane, I just do without. If I'm driving, I usually just take a normal size acoustic (Epiphone Texan).