Totally Informal Overdrive Shootout

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by SquierTap, Sep 16, 2021.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn

I just made this... I was playin my 2002 Fiesta Red Affinity Strat with Filt'rtron style humbuckers (from The Fret Wire) through my pedalboard, and into my lil Fender Champion 40 1X12, and they BOTH sound great... But, I REALLY like the BASS on the Bad Monkey and the treble on the VTM, lol... And yeah, I know the VTM has more treble, btw...

dbrian66 and grizzlewulf like this.
  2. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    I usually find that the pedal with more treble stands out better in a band setting.
    When I get more bass from a pedal, the Bass guitar can bury my sound in the mix.
    Both have an appeal, but out of the 2, the way they are set, I lean towards the VTM

grizzlewulf and SquierTap like this.
  3. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, unless someone's listening in some decent speakers, it's REALLY hard to tell... But, I'm playin through a lil solid state 40 watt Fender Champion 1X12, and I'm also runnin my Behringer EQ pedal with a tad extra bass AND treble... But when you CRANK the bass on that Bad Monkey, it just sounds GREAT! I mean, this thing ended a year and a half search for MY "perfect" overdrive BECAUSE of that bass, lol... It carries this "sub-note" punch... I've always said that it was more in the pick attack and PUNCH of the note, than the actual note... It's almost a percussive thing... But you can ESPECIALLY hear it when you're "chugging" along...

For YEARS my guitar "rig" was a "no-stripe" 1986 Peavey Bandit 65 1X12 with the pre-amp out ran into the front end of a Peavey Basic 40 BASS amp, lol... And trust me when I say, that'll get you some bottom end, lol... Everybody always commented that our 3 piece band sounded so "full", and I'm fairly confident THAT'S why...

And this pedal, with the EQ just NAILS that bottom end... But even with the treble CRANKED (to match the bass) it doesn't have quite as much high end as I'd like...

So, I'm thinkin that a solution would be to use the BadMonkey for my overdrive sound and use the VTM for one of my "distortion" sounds...

drewcp likes this.
  4. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Just thought I'd follow up and tell you guys that @SubSailer671 is actually sendin me a couple different tubes to try in the VTM... I plan on doin a Shoot-Out style video on my YouTube channel with the different tubes to see how different they sound...

Evidently switchin the tubes in these seems to be somethin that a lot of people do, and I've HEARD that a LOT of folks dig usin a 12AU7... They say that it brings the overall distortion level down a bit, but there are more "usable" tones with it... So, I guess we'll see... Pretty soon hopefully, too...

fattboyzz and SubSailer671 like this.