Top Ten Reasons – Black Bullet Mustang HH Edition

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by Pat V., Jan 23, 2017.

1. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    So far, I'm not seeing them at the usual retailers (Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, Music 123, Sam Ash etc....).
    I purchased mine directly from the Fender website for $149.00 with free shipping.

2. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Nope. GC/MF no luck (surprisingly).

Roxy had two left, and Adorama has them as well (but be careful, their site is spam-laden, though I have purchased from them with no issues, call them, or have your shields up). I do expect to see them at GC on a $99 special.

Pat V. likes this.
  3. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    I hope I sell another guitar by then. Maybe a black/tortie one like Pat V did with WRHBs from Rosepickups.com. :rolleyes:

Pat V. and radiotech like this.
  4. altern

altern Squier Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    Buffalo
    Yeah, I'll prob wait til I can catch one in a bigger retailer, be it MF, Sweetwater or GC. If they offered a sale on that it's a no brainer.

5. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Meister

Dec 15, 2009
    Louisville Ky
    Adorama phished my email addy.

Great way to drive off potential customers.

6. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Yikes'

7. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I think I have some neat things planned for the Imperial Blue Bullet Mustang that just landed.

The sparkle finish is way better in person than my photos show but being a glutton for punishment I tried today to capture some of it before disassembly.

This finish reminds me of the BWG Malibu in Coppertone in that the color can really change depending upon the lighting (although not nearly as drastically as the Coppertone finish).

I'm really loving the thin bodies and body contours on these Bullets.

Imperial Blue Bullet Mustang 01.jpg
    Imperial Blue Bullet Mustang 02.jpg
    Imperial Blue Bullet Mustang 03.jpg
    Imperial Blue Bullet Mustang 05.jpg

Attached Files:

8. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier Talker

Feb 10, 2014
    NYS
    Jeez that blue is sweet!

In one of the other threads someone from MF says they will be up on the site soon.

Pat V. likes this.
  9. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I'm not sure if I or anyone else has mentioned this yet but the neck pocket/neck fit on these Mustangs is excellent. It's seriously about as good as it can be... super tight. I've taken three apart so far and they've all been excellent.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    OldGuitarPlayer likes this.
  10. KrinkleCuss

KrinkleCuss Squier Talker

Feb 7, 2017
    US
    That blue is really nice. It really DOES look better in person too (although it's looking awfully pretty here too).

11. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Meister

Dec 15, 2009
    Louisville Ky
    Sweetwater finally has them listed on their site. Still not in stock.

Btw, how is the fretwork on these ?

12. Smokijo

Smokijo Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    GB
    The fretwork is good, nice neck to play though I do find the top E is very close to the edge. The main issues with this guitar I found is the quality of the pickguard (easily replaceable) and the pickups do not really work very well for any nice clean tracks. They're beasts meant for heavy tunes and not capable of providing the clear tones you want for a 'sound of silence' kind of tune. Also the pickup switch is a little wobbly.

Overall for the price this is a very playable guitar and very good quality. I do not regret getting it, however don't be mislead into thinking you're getting something which is of the same quality of a CV Tele. That being said a few nice upgrades and it wouldn't be far off that standard for a good £100 less (or whatever is the equivalent in dollars).

Hugh and KrinkleCuss like this.
  13. KrinkleCuss

KrinkleCuss Squier Talker

Feb 7, 2017
    US
    I think you are right on here. The pickups are nice sounding but versatile they are not! For the price though... I think you are absolutely right: for a little less than $100 you can make this into a really nice little guitar. It's a perfect modding platform as we are seeing here in a few threads.

As positive as my thoughts are about the Bullet Mustang, it should be understood that these are $150 guitars and as good as they are, it's still a little cheapo! I'm sure you feel the same @Smokijo

OldGuitarPlayer and Smokijo like this.
  14. Smokijo

Smokijo Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2017
    GB
    Certainly do. I play it more than my vm jag at the moment, but only because it's so easy to play and i really like the neck. Also it's nowhere near as heavy :). 10 gauge strings at a minimum on the mustang, I'm not sure 11s will go on without filing the nut. I'm happy with the bridge and saddles, nothing amazing but you don't need amazing on these guitars. I'm tempted by some super distortion pickups, though not sure if I can justify having pickups which are worth more than the guitar put on.

KrinkleCuss likes this.
  15. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Not to make everybody here envy me that I got the best wife in the world, ... but this is her birthday present for me

[​IMG]

16. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Now over to start playing

Pat V. likes this.
  17. banjaxed

banjaxed Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2017
    Merseyside UK
    Just going to show this to my wife, wish me luck :)

Pat V. and xtomx2000 like this.
  18. xtomx2000

xtomx2000 Squier-Meister

Jun 7, 2014
    Hamburg, Germany
    Ok - after having played for a while, I started to change things.

I did the following:

1. Removed the cheap pot metal saddles and installed a set of Fender steel saddles I had laying around from a project that never took off.
    2. Removed the 009 strings that felt like spaghetti that got cooked to long. Installed a 011 set (had to make the slots in the nut a bit wider).
    3. The pickups were set too high. Adjusted the height a little - now they sound much better.
    4. The machine heads were completely loose, so I tightened the bolts.

Now she plays like a dream :)

19. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

I was just browsing in a local music shop called Windows in Newcastle and noticed they're selling the black Bullet Mustang for £95 at the minute. Crazy cheap.

OldGuitarPlayer and Pat V. like this.
  20. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Wow! That's a great deal!

Big tuna likes this.