Top Ten Reasons – Black Bullet Mustang HH Edition

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by Pat V., Jan 23, 2017.

1. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    I'd like to see a mock-up of that exact same guitar; EXCEPT: Swap the humbuckers for cream-colored dog-ear P90s. :rolleyes:

P90s.jpeg

2. Warner

Warner Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Something like this?

MustangP90-1.jpg MustangP90.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    surf green and Birddog144 like this.
  3. Warner

Warner Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Mine arrived today. Out of the box it seemed to be set up surprisingly well, nice low action and intonation is spot on. However I soon discovered the horrific buzz when playing the 8th fret, on all 6 strings, almost to the point that the strings are completely muted. No matter how must the saddles are raised and adjusted the buzz doesn't change. No other issues or buzzing anywhere else apart from the 8th fret. The strings at that fret are all very heavily kinked so someone has been applying some force there and has obviously been aware of the issue, personally I'm a bit disappointed that it was sold like that - but I guess that's my fault for ordering online not trying it first! I know there's probably an easy work around but I don't have the tools or the experience myself, so I'm going to explain to the shop and hope they'll exchange it without any fuss.

If you guys have any advice please let me know, I must admit I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to maintenance.

One other point to note is that the selector switch has quite a lot of loose lateral movement, not sure if that's just how these cheap switches are or if it's just mine. No biggie anyway!

That issue aside, I'm really pleased with the guitar and for £115 it's a steal! Super fun to play and the humbuckers sound great though my Vox VT40+.

IMG_9587.jpg

Pat V. likes this.
  4. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Yeah, exactly like that. I think black covers might look better on the black/tortie guitar though. Then again the cream covers might look good on a blue one with a pearloid pickguard. ;)

I am SO getting one of these (as soon as I sell something in my fleet ;)).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Pat V. likes this.
  5. scifilullaby

scifilullaby Squier Talker

Jan 2, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    Went out and bought the VM Mustang in SB today as well to compare to the IMPB Bullet. The pickup switches are the best part and they left them out on the Bullet models. I was thinking about selling, but after reading this thread, the tort makes a ton of difference, this white pg makes it look cheap..and thanks on the suggestions for pickups :)

IMG_4430.jpg

Pat V. likes this.
  6. scifilullaby

Jan 2, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    PS VM Jaguar in CAR, you're next :) are they discontinuing these VM lines? There seems to be very limited stock around, I can only find the Jag in CAR (I would have preferred the Surf Green) and I think the VM Mustang is probably the last one to be sold in Greece, now that the Bullets are out..

7. TomL

TomL Squier-Nut

I bought my VM Mustang early last month as I've wanted one for years and when I heard about the Bullets, combined with the recent new Fender Mustangs, I feel the trend is drifting away from the traditional Mustang config . I really wanted a trad Mustang, and although nothing has been said, I do wonder if this all signals the end is coming for the VM Mustang. If so, it could be pretty expensive to obtain a traditional config Mustang.

I'm sure that in time they'll come back around again, but it could be a few years.

The VM Jag has been around a similar length of time, so who knows.

Personally, I think it'd be really good if Squier expanded their range of the offsets and treated them like they do the Strat and Tele, with tons of options in each range. Perhaps the VM offsets will continue and these new offsets is the beginning of Squier simply providing more offset options.

Pat V. and scifilullaby like this.
  8. squierTony

squierTony Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    seminole Oklahoma
    May need to adjust your trust rod.

Pat V. likes this.
  9. scifilullaby

Jan 2, 2017
    Athens, Greece
    so, to sum everything up, I feel that it might be feasible to replace the Mustang PG with a, say, Duo-Sonic PG and then you have a DS with HH in Competition Blue without the stripes. Makes more sense.

10. KrinkleCuss

KrinkleCuss Squier Talker

Feb 7, 2017
    US
    I'm new here but have owned and severely modded a VM Jag bass for some time. I just got my Black Bullet Mustang in the mail today and absolutely love it. Although I bought it to trick it out, I am extremely impressed at the quality of this instrument. From the pots to the pickups to the tuners, this thing is solid and so much fun.

I noticed something really interesting while opening up the pickguard today: My Mustang is painted Sparkle Blue UNDER the Black finish!
    Anyone else notice this on theirs?

I wonder why Squier did this... must've been some sort of logistical manufacturing reason behind it.
    I'll post some pics in the next day or so.

By the end of the week it will change into my dream Mustang:
    -Fender Japan Mustang Pickup with black cover in neck position (I'm keeping the bridge pickup because I really like it).
    -Custom 3 ply mint pickguard
    -Vintage tint neck with Fender Waterslide decal.... just because.

More soon!

Warner and Pat V. like this.
  11. KrinkleCuss

Feb 7, 2017
    US
    My advice is to take it to a reputable local shop and have it professionally set up. You can find some good youtube vids on how to do it, but it takes tools and experience. Guitars seldomly come completely setup from mail order. Unless they specifically say so, they may just give it a once over if that. They usually come with junk strings and a rudimentary set up... for the $150 Squiers they are not going to give them the deluxe treatment. It is too bad that your strings are kinked... that is a drag for sure, especially when you want to play that thing right out of the box!

Whatever the case, a professional setup is completely worth the money. Your guitar will go from playing ok to playing beautifully.

12. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    Fender has now updated the specs reflecting the 24" scale but still list it as having a "String Through Body" bridge.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Hugh likes this.
  13. Pat V.

Pat V. Squier-holic

Nov 21, 2014
    North America
    I didn't think much of it when I was working on it but these pics show some blue paint in the neck area.Is that what you are referring to?
    Black and Blue Mustang.jpg Black and Blue Mustang 2.jpg

KrinkleCuss likes this.
  14. KrinkleCuss

Feb 7, 2017
    US
    yup. Exactly!
    If you look closely, you can see the blue sparkle paint. My guess is that the blue may have been harder to spray (maybe?). Perhaps there were blue guitars that had flaws and the opaque black paint was just used to cover it up.... or Maybe they decided to have black guitars after they had already painted the blue ones, but I doubt that.
    Oh well... at the very least it's interesting. Fender has a history of painting custom colors over Sunburst models (as they were the standard color option for all of their guitars) which led to some very interesting color combos once they started to show wear.
    These Black Bullet Mustangs will probably wear the same way... you'll be able to see the blue underneath... interesting.

15. Sub9doC

Sub9doC Squier Talker

Feb 7, 2017
    Kentucky
  16. Sub9doC

Sub9doC Squier Talker

Feb 7, 2017
    Kentucky

Attached Files:

17. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    NEWS FLASH!!

I just sold a guitar! :cool: You know what that means, right? ;) I think I'll do blue though. I found one with really nice grain in the neck. :rolleyes:

18. altern

altern Squier Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    Buffalo
    has anyone found these at a guitarcenter yet? My local music store doesn't have squiers and I don't know if I should head up to the next city's GC

19. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Meister

Dec 15, 2009
    Louisville Ky
    I looked last night at the Guitar Center website and they were not listed and I also called my local Guitar Center today and they had not even heard of them.

I heard the guy I was talking to ask a couple of other staff members and they knew nothing about Bullitt Mustangs.

20. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Played a blue one today at Roxy Music Shop in LaPorte In, they have a site, Reverb and eBay Stores. @Birddog144 posted pics (and bought one) from them this morning. They have one black, and one blue left when I was there at 3pm today.

so1om and Hugh like this.