Top 5 Records

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by AllroyPA, May 6, 2018.

1. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    Influential growing up and enjoyed listening to. So many more and more in taste as well.

download.jpg download (2).jpg download (1).jpg download (4).jpg download (3).jpg

2. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Earliest impact was the 1965 45 rpm "Tommy" by Reparata and the Delrons, no doubt about it. Started playing it when I was three years old and never stopped. Three copies burned before the digital age...

I was surrounded by Neapolitans (and a few Irish tenors). My grandmother's name was Lucia. Just about everybody around me could sing. This was a favorite. Still is. My mom had a great voice. A cross between the styles of Mario Lanza and Billy Eckstine, if you could imagine that. So, in lieu of a recording of my mother, here's Mario killing it. One of my favorite vocal performances ever. Blows my hair back. Still.

As a teenager my father put up with a lot of loud music. My cousin's boyfriend once commented, "Joey, you have records beyond your years!" This was the recording whereby my dad came in my room and honestly wanted to know if I actually enjoyed it. Generation gap defined, and it had a huge impact on my musical taste and curiosity for decades... From the now obsolete album Great Moments with BB King. When we saw BB play it live (the same night he introduced a teenaged Whitney Houston, Cissy's daughter, the girl from Teaneck, to sing a song acapella) at the long defunct Ritz NYC, I cried like a little baby. Big impact. (This one was written by Willy Nelson, another influential musician in my life. I schmoozed Constant Country, part time weekends to cover for friends, for a few years as a radio jock back in the eighties.)

We like to go to the Met and the Philharmonic from time to time. I don't think I've ever heard anything more beautiful than Mozart. Again, tears. Too much beauty. Requiem Confutatis...

And then, if I'm perfectly honest with myself, it's not Stevie Wonder, Dylan, The Beatles, Van Morrison, Steely Dan, Todd Rundgren, The Stray Cats or Elvis Costello. Not even Steven Wilson, my current fave impact player. It's not even the Clash. It's this off the charts slap that had the impact...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  3. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I can't break it down into particular albums, but the ARTISTS that influenced me most when I got serious about learning how to play lead guitar are-
    Clapton
    Page
    Beck
    Blackmore
    Hendrix
    Walsh
    Santana
    Winter
    Stills
    Young
    not necessarily in that order
    And I know that's ten, not five, but it was hard enough narrowing it down to ten

4. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    helluva mix uncle joe. liked it!

Hadronic Spin and Uncle Joe like this.
  5. duzie

duzie Squier-Nut

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    Wow trying to pick 5 is difficult !
    I’ll just put this one here .
    It started a lifelong trend of heavy music that I still enjoy today :)
    upload_2021-10-27_19-13-41.jpeg

6. Randall E

Randall E Squier Talker

Oct 3, 2021
    Central California
    My selection are albums I would still listen through today, in their entirety, and have enjoyed for what seems forever.

Rolling Stones - Exile on Mainstreet
    Grand Funk Railroad - E Pluribus Funk
    Grand Funk Railroad - We're an American Band
    BB King & Eric Clapton - Riding with the King
    Blues Brothers - Original Soundtrack

7. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    near impossible task... just five? okay, so that goes to the first five that opened me up to new ways of thinking about music, guitar, etc....

Are You Experienced, Jimi Hendrix. 'nuff said. we all know this one. groundbreaking, mind bending.
    Revolver, Beatles. 'nuff said, we know this one too. groundbreaking... even for them.
    Modern Jazz Quartet. cant remember the album title, but released in the middle of the British Invasion it opened my eyes to jazz.
    Mr. Lucky, John Lee Hooker. re-opened my eyes and ears to the blues which i'd forgotten, even after once owning B.B. King's Live at Cook County Jail.

and finally?

back to jazz with Miles Davis and Kind of Blue. i never heard it start to to finish until about 10 years ago. a revelation.

there are of course many others, from bluegrass to metal, but the above were milestones for me.

good to remember these things! good thread!

Hadronic Spin, Exhead and Uncle Joe like this.
  8. Ridjrunr

Ridjrunr Squier Talker

May 16, 2021
    Kansas
    Tough one!
    American Graffiti sound track
    Joe Walsh The smoker you drink the player you get
    Then in 76/77? My brother home from bootcamp and handed me Wired by Jeff Beck
    Then Van Halens first
    Then Rush moving pictures.
    All are still in my inventory and are regulars except American Graffiti, I dont have that, yet.
    I guess thats the first 5 that still impact my taste

Hadronic Spin, miket1117 and Exhead like this.
  9. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

This is hard!

As others have said, ask me tomorrow and I'll come up with a different list:

Joe Pass- Virtuoso
    Van Morrison, Lonnie Donnegan, Chris Barber--The Skiffle Sessions Live in Belfast 1998
    Allman Brothers Band--A Decade of Hits
    Pure Prairie League-- Bustin' Out
    James Taylor -- Greatest Hits

Plus a smattering of classic country (Waylon, Willie, Marty Robbins, Tom T Hall, and others) and all the usual suspects (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Boston, etc.)

I still listen to all of these at least once every 3 months or so. I have a few more that are on my repeat play list, but I don't think they impact my style (Carpenters, Rumer, Melody Gardot).

Hadronic Spin, Exhead and miket1117 like this.
  10. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Giving it more thought, I knew only ten wasn't enough. After all, how could I leave out Alvin Lee, Peter Green and Danny Kirwan, Kim Simmonds, Leslie West, John Cippolina, Martin Barre, Pete Townsend, Duane and Dickey, Toy Caldwell, Dave Mason, Steve Winwood, Paul Cotton, Neal Schon, Mark Knopfler, Rick Derringer, and that's just a start! I know if I dust off more cobwebs from my brain, I'll think of even more pioneers from the 60s and 70s that had an indelible influence.

Hadronic Spin and miket1117 like this.
  11. EqNeal

EqNeal Squier Talker

Dec 29, 2016
    Los Angeles
    So many it is hard to choose, my tastes change with my mood and I can easily switch between genres. My father loved classical music and had a very nice record collection that he played often. One of the first songs that I remember never getting old of when I was a child was Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain.

I'll name the first few Rock albums that got me hooked - my older cousin had only two 8-track cassettes - AC/DC Back in Black and Aerosmith Draw the line. They were the first two rock albums I ever listened to and I was hooked. I listened to them way more than he ever did.
    220px-ACDC_Back_in_Black.png

220px-AerosmithDrawtheLinealbumcover.jpg

The next was Kiss Alive, a neighbor friend had it and we cranked it and jumped around playing tennis rackets.
    Kiss_alive_album_cover.jpg

One of my Aunts found out I was into rock and gave me her Black Sabbath Paranoid album, I think I still have it somewhere.
    220px-Black_Sabbath_-_Paranoid.jpg

I've listened to lots of different music over the years and circled back and rediscovered albums again that I haven't heard in years and still feel the same way as when I heard them the first time.

12. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    It surely is impossible to break it down to 5 records. As Brian said, ask me tomorrow (or even tonight) and the list may differ.
    1. Mussorgsky - Night On Bald Mountain
    2. Deep Purple - Lazy (MiJ)
    3. Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    4. Jimi Hendrix - Fire
    5. The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down

Hadronic Spin, EqNeal and miket1117 like this.
  13. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Nope. I can't. I tried for a long time, kept deleting and changing. I don't think I could go below 20 without leaving off something that makes me sick lol

rorygman, 6q61, Hadronic Spin and 2 others like this.
  14. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Gee! Ain’t it funny how many here seem to really, really, like rock n roll! :)

-don

15. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    Buddy Holly capo'ed up? I've seen that clip before, but never noticed that! The Eddie Cochran clip was great!

Hadronic Spin and Uncle Joe like this.
  16. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Nice list. I'm a huge Milt Jackson fan and love me some vibes. Maybe the Modern Jazz Quartet album is Django or Fontessa? Two of my favorites from the mid-fifties that I have on CD. For impact I thought of Kind of Blue, but for me it was really Charlie Parker with Strings, which to some Jazz aficionados is sacrilege (which is common for me and Jazz, as I also love Chet Baker Sings). I just loved it. Big impact for me. So for number six I go with this, said to be Bird's favorite solo...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    Hadronic Spin likes this.
  17. Hadronic Spin

Hadronic Spin J Squier, Esquier Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Really hard to keep it to 5, but I'll do it.

The following albums/cds had impacted me in an indescribable way...really dug deep into my core. In order of discovery:

1976 -- Presence -- Led Zeppelin
    1979 -- The Wall -- Pink Floyd
    1984 -- Purple Rain -- Prince
    1988 -- Operation: Mindcrime -- Queensryche
    1994 -- The Downward Spiral -- NIN

I gotta add #6;
    1982 -- Nebraska -- Bruce Springsteen

Jason

Riffmaster227 likes this.
  18. hneel

hneel Squier Talker

Jun 16, 2021