Thoughts on buying a 1993 ultra-short scale Fender Duo-Sonic for $250

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Ralph124C41, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    This is the special 1993-only model as I understand and it's a MIM product. From what I've read online it has a 22.7-inch scale. Now I like the short scale that's in my Squier Jag and Squier Jagmaster and I also have it in my "downsized" SX Liquid ... but this is even shorter.

But I've read lots of reports about trouble with intonation and tuning stability on this type of scale. I've also been watching a 60 Cycle Hum review and comparison with a regular Duo-Sonic and Ryan remarked how thin (like a "toy") the neck felt.

This is a somewhat local listing about an hour's drive away or so. It's a private sale so no returns of course. The seller is offering also a gig bag and a stand, neither of which I need. He says it plays well and the electronics work and there are no major cosmetic problems. (What is "major" remains to be seen.)

Perhaps complicating any intonation problems is that it has a 3-barrel bridge. I don't know if the saddles have the compensation ridges or not.

It's vintage white with a maple fingerboard.

So ... thoughts. Test it out? Pass? Tell Eddie about it?

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    In my area, that's not a deal, so I personally would pass, because that's not a guitar that interests me.

3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Thanks. It was just posted a few hours ago and maybe he will take offers. I won't need the stand or gig bag but I don't know if he will want to part them out. I will point out that I will have to make a long (for me) drive to test it out.

But I really think I just need to save my money to get a used Squier JM.

drewcp likes this.
  4. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

That is a hard guitar to move in my experience. I have seen several hang for a very long time in shops, go through several mark-downs before finally selling. If it is something you love and intend to keep in your personal collection, then go for it, but bargain hard as it is a bit of an "odd ball".

drewcp likes this.
  5. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

Yes I agree. I briefly played a somewhat similar Peavey T-15 that had, I think, a 22.5-inch neck but it was full thickness. I didn't have any problem with it ... plus I rarely play higher than the 15th fret anyway.

I just sent an email to the seller pointing out the short scale ... which he didn't mention in the ad. I didn't come out and said, "Hey, good luck selling this" but I did point out that some buyers may not appreciate that short scale. However it would be very good for a student or somebody with smaller hands.

We will see what he says. He just posted the ad so I doubt he will do any movement so soon.

6. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Why not try it out? It may work for you. The 22.5" scale does best with heavier strings, starting with .011" on the high E. IIRC the pickups are decent and the pots and switch are US parts. The 3-saddle bridge intonates close enough for most Tele players and should be close enough on this one. I had a '57 Musicmaster, same bridge, basically, and 22.5" scale.

7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I use 11s on my Jag but 9s on my Liquid. I bought the Jagmaster used and I STILL haven't changed strings on it so I don't know what the gauge is that is on it now but I think they are 9s or maybe 10s.

I am trying to find out other specs, such as radius for the board and the nut width.

8. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I had that exact guitar, and it felt great to me.. I had to sell it for financial reasons, but it gave me the inspiration to build two Strats with the Strat mini neck. :D and 11s are a big help with playability..

9. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    The seller got back to me and he said he knew about the short scale but guitar wasn't his main instrument so he didn't do anything about adding a six-barrel bridge or anything. He candidly did say "the intonation is not perfect." But he added he is talking to another buyer and will get back to me if nothing happens.

He hasn't gotten back to me and it seems he doesn't want to budge on the price. So I'm putting it in my rear-view mirror.

Black Strat, drewcp and Davis Sharp like this.
  10. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    You know how I feel about them.

ryan from 60 cycle also played his for years and was his first guitar if I recall.

maybe the other buyer will pass because of its short scale. I would give it a shot, I think it’s a fair price too.

keep us posted

Black Strat likes this.
  11. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    J06027005001017-00-750x750.jpg There are some Rick's like John Lennon's that are also really short scale, as are the Epi SG and LP Express models. You can overcome the tunung stability somewhat by putting heavy strings on them, like 11s or 12s even.

12. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Thanks but I haven't heard back from the seller and I just don't have all that much GAS for it. As for the short scale, I briefly played, as I mentioned, a Peavey T-15 with its 23.5-inch scale, and a Mitchell TD100, with its 22.5-inch scale. The Peavey was fine, as the scale length was almost the same as on my Squier Jaguar. But the Mitchell was not comfortable. Now it could also be that resulted from the guitar being a 3/4-sized instrument but I remember the whole scale was just uncomfortable and felt "wrong" if that is the term I can use.

As I said, this is no longer on my radar unless the seller agrees to a BIG drop in his price ... which I doubt will occur.

drewcp likes this.