Thomann Imports for UK

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by MarekG, May 14, 2021.

1. MarekG

MarekG Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    England
    Hi there: have any of our UK members bought guitars from Thomann (or other EU shops) since Brexit proper? I'm really struggling to find out what the actual costs will be so I can satisfy a hankering for one of these:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hb_35plus_lemon.htm?sid=bdc72afb3d8410a942622325aa3c3a0f

I believe it's 20% vat, 2-3% customs and about £10-15 courier handling charge, but don't want to get a nasty surprise. So, if anyone's been through it I'd appreciate the low-down!

Cheers.

BlueSquirrel and Kinnon09 like this.
  2. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    Following this thread as I would love to know also. Also what’s the delivery time like now?

MarekG and Kinnon09 like this.
  3. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    If there is anything up with it I think you have to pay the shipping back.

Taurus, Jes Woodland and MarekG like this.
  4. Jes Woodland

Jes Woodland Squier-Meister

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    I think that if your order, including shipping, is under £135.00 you won`t pay any extra import taxes and Thomann add the vat at the checkout. But thats only based on what i`ve read on another Guitar forum. I`ve heard stories of people getting hammered by a UPS `handling fee` before their order is delivered, but I think that is for orders over £135.00
    The best thing to do is email them direct or get on the `Chat` facility ..if they still have it.
    I do know that Bax Music store in Holland have a UK sales office and do`nt charge any extra.
    I won`t be buying from Thomann again until they sort out their pricing and think many others feel the same. Especially as @Kinnon09 says..you have to cover any return fees!

MarekG, Taurus and Kinnon09 like this.
  5. MarekG

MarekG Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    England
    Ah, I'm Nottingham too! Yeah, it's crazy: I've contacted Thomann customer service and UPS and neither of them can say exactly what the score is re customs and handling fees. Thomann just sell you the thing VAT free over £135 and the rest is the courier apparently. Sadly Harley Bentons are only available from Thoman as they have them made (but you knew that!). As I say, I think it's only minor handling fees, but you do hear rumours of nasty surprises..... Hopefully someone will know

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  6. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    I'm in Continental Europe. I had to pay 30 euros of VAT/import taxes/ handling fees to Fedex for a second-hand set of pickups that I bought on eBay for £55 from a British shop during the first week of January - (at the time when authorities were saying that there would be no taxes following Brexit, remember? ;)).

Delivery time was very fast and the delivery itself was perfect. I didn't have to pay any taxes/handling fees on eBay nor when the parcel was delivered, but I received a Fedex invoice a few weeks later.

Don't know exactly how much it would cost for an entire guitar to be sent from Germany to the UK, though.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    guitarmikey, MarekG and Kinnon09 like this.
  7. MarekG

MarekG Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    England
    That would sort of make sense: there's no vat on second-hand goods in the country in which they're being bought (the UK in this case) so the seller can't remove it from the purchase price, but it is charged in the country into which it's being imported (France). So assuming French VAT is also somewhere around 20% and the courier company charges the same as as it would in the UK for handling and import duty (around 15-20 euro) then that wouldn't be far off my scenario in original post, but the charges look worse as they're a higher percentage of the lower initial price. I think that works......

Kinnon09 and BlueSquirrel like this.
  8. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    I was just reading the complaints on a page. And said taking ages to post orders 2 -3 days and he was going on about waiting ages for delivery to UK the quickest he has received is 5 days.-2weeks:eek:

9. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    Read this 3 months:eek:
    Iwas so excited today because after 3 long months of waiting for my new Harley Benton Fusion-II HSH Roasted FBLB arrived.
    I saw the UPS man awaiting at the door but I just figured he was needing a signature.
    Nope, once I opened the door, I knew why.
    The box was 60% plastic taped the top 2/3 of the box. He was kind enough to let me know he had already noted the serious damage to the outside.
    The inner box looked at a little roughed up but some pretty good dents so he stayed as I opened the box and took out the guitar.
    I was not expecting perfection and honestly the guitar at first looked all that I wanted at least aesthetically. It is beautiful.
    Within 15 seconds, I see a small dent up near the horn. My first thinking is if HB wants to credit some dollars back okay I can live with it. This dent is possible from shipping for a dent in inner box closely matches the proximity of the guitar dent.
    1 minute later, a dent on the back. Darn! True a small dent but what? I have a 30 year old electric Hamer Eclipse with not even a scratch and a Wolf guitar with not a scratch or dent. Now I am a bit upset but .......................
    This one is not even acceptable or allowable and honestly to me right now looks like it went thru quality control and it is serious unacceptable. a gouge into the 5th fret covering underneath 2+ strings.
    Where was quality control. Just where?
    I cannot contact them till tomorrow morning as I am in Colorado but I am very very disappointed. 3 months to get this like this. :saddest:
    I will keep this post updated as I see if HB lives up to all the rave about their customer service.

Leo Jazzmaster and MarekG like this.
  10. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    That’s Europe delivering to the US though and I suspect may have suffered corona-related delays. The condition of the package is another story...

11. shingh2002

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    I can survive 2 weeks. Hopefully the instrument would too!
    I ordered something from a shop in Wales and it’s already taken longer than that to get here, with no sign of it yet..!

12. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    Sorry wrong thread.

MarekG and shingh2002 like this.
  13. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    It's nigh on impossible to get any useful information from the HMRC website regarding import duty, but it seems that there may be none on an electric guitar being imported from Germany. The UPS fee appears to be £11.50 and of course the VAT will be 20%.

Before Brexit three days was the usual delivery time, since then customs delays have added an average of another three days to that.

MarekG, shingh2002 and Kinnon09 like this.
  14. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    I could just find this Screenshot_2021-05-15-16-55-46-102_com.android.chrome.jpg

MarekG likes this.
  15. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I'm using my own experience of buying from Thomann. I dived in and bought my Epiphone last November in order to dodge the Brexit bullet, but I have bought quite a few things since then. All my deliveries over the last two years have been by UPS.

MarekG, shingh2002 and Kinnon09 like this.
  16. MarekG

MarekG Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    England
    Trying to quote Beagle and it's not happening! Anyway, assume I have!

Thanks: it really is difficult to get any sense out of anyone, yourself excepted! I think there's no duty on guitars made in Europe, but if they originate elsewhere (i.e. the Far East) there is a small amount of duty payable. But I'll be hornswoggled if I can get any actual confirmation of that from Thomann, UPS or the UK Government HMRC site. It's ein Albtraum, un cauchemar, I tell you!

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    beagle and Kinnon09 like this.
  17. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    Right I have just seen,anything over 135 only get free returns for none faulty items?? And anything over 135 can be taxed when coming in?? Just saying what I was reading.

MarekG likes this.
  18. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Under £135 Thomann collect the VAT. Over that it's collected by HMRC

thomann example.png

Kinnon09 likes this.
  19. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    Yes that's what I understand with reading it yesterday. I am still not sure about all this if it's a gift you don't pay HMRC. I have a friend that got CDs from Europe he got a card in the door saying he had to pay at sorting office he said the CDs are 5 euro so was not worth it.

MarekG likes this.
  20. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I found this:

In general, goods purchased from the EU should already be “duty paid” therefore they are in free circulation within the EU and you won’t be charged any duty.

So now it's all as clear as mud...