This week's grad school writing assignment ...

65refinyellow

Squier-holic
Jun 29, 2015
norcal
... is about buyer decision model.

I'm gonna write about GAS. ha ha.

Should be nice and short ... but then again, gonna have to examine the pyschological reasonings behind the impulse purchases of cheap guitars. :)
Are you studying buying behavior or predicting buying decisions and statistical likelihoods like John Nash?

Dr Yarrow at my school was always mentioned this new abs growing field.

Last edited:

Shineykul

Jul 27, 2022
usa
A friend of mine also suffered from GAS. At some point, his collection began to grow disproportionately. He collected 3 Strats, 2 Les Pauls, a 50-watt Fuchs combo, plus a 25-watt old Bedrock combo. And okay, if he would have played them, they were hanging on the wall. This addiction was dealt with after he and I went to college in Miami asa florida. I hardly managed to convince my friend to leave his collection at home. Now we avoid music stores, so we are not tempted to buy another guitar. This way, we redirected my friend's energy in another direction.

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
I'm taking Operations Management and Busines Law this term. This is the final week of the term. I'm so happy.

I lead the group assignment for Ops Management. I set up a manufacturing facility in Tennesee to build MIA guitars at the $1000 price point .... lean manufacturing, Kaizen, one piece flow, 0 inventory, TPS, etc. I literally did 90% of the assignment. The other morons in the group just tagged along ... but I wasn't going to risk a poor grade because those idiots had no clue. Score a 100% on the assignment.

Shine

Squier-holic
Nov 29, 2016
West Coast Landia
I'm taking Operations Management and Busines Law this term. This is the final week of the term. I'm so happy.

I lead the group assignment for Ops Management. I set up a manufacturing facility in Tennesee to build MIA guitars at the $1000 price point .... lean manufacturing, Kaizen, one piece flow, 0 inventory, TPS, etc. I literally did 90% of the assignment. The other morons in the group just tagged along ... but I wasn't going to risk a poor grade because those idiots had no clue. Score a 100% on the assignment.
Congrats on ending the term and completing the assignment!

Getting everyone to participate can be challenging for a variety of reasons. I have borrowed an activity where the groups establish their own norms. It minimizes the slackers, though maybe not all of the procrastination.

In any case it’s behind you. Time to reward yourself, and we all know what that means! ;)

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
Congrats on ending the term and completing the assignment!

Getting everyone to participate can be challenging for a variety of reasons. I have borrowed an activity where the groups establish their own norms. It minimizes the slackers, though maybe not all of the procrastination.

In any case it’s behind you. Time to reward yourself, and we all know what that means! ;)

ha ha. Reward sounds good. We're headed down to Universal Studios on Saturday. Driving.

I enjoyed writing the paper. It was a blast from my old Industrial Engineering days. The other classmates were useless, and I literally had to change everything they wrote. You can't develop a Just in TIme manufacturing system and write about ABC inventory levels and make to stock inventory. Argh !!!

One idiot group-mate tried to plagiarize word for word. 98% plagiarized. I was ticked off to no end. If she wanted to plagiarize .. do it on her own papers. Don't risk the grades of the entire group. I informed the professor. I was literally going to cut her out of the group ... but professor said I had to work with her. Argh !!

Shine

Squier-holic
Nov 29, 2016
West Coast Landia
ha ha. Reward sounds good. We're headed down to Universal Studios on Saturday. Driving.

I enjoyed writing the paper. It was a blast from my old Industrial Engineering days. The other classmates were useless, and I literally had to change everything they wrote. You can't develop a Just in TIme manufacturing system and write about ABC inventory levels and make to stock inventory. Argh !!!

One idiot group-mate tried to plagiarize word for word. 98% plagiarized. I was ticked off to no end. If she wanted to plagiarize .. do it on her own papers. Don't risk the grades of the entire group. I informed the professor. I was literally going to cut her out of the group ... but professor said I had to work with her. Argh !!
I was on both sides of the final editing process in grad school.

We were grouped-up in a Comm Theory class, and we had to write a paper about relationships and apply various theories. One member kept writing “My boyfriend this and that.” I lightly edited her section and changed it to “significant other” and she went through the roof, saying it wasn’t even her writing anymore. (The teacher appreciated the edits.)

Then the tables turned. I was in a Learning Communities class, and we had an Army officer in our group and she offered to take charge of the final project. Being busy with work and other classes, I was like “OK.”

You can guess what happened. Yes, the project got done, but it all had her imprint. Though we got a good grade, I kind of regretted that decision.

Unfortunately, we can’t always choose our work partners. But hopefully we can help each other succeed.

But class is nearly over, and you have bigger fish to fry!

Nadnitram

Squier-Meister
Jan 1, 2020
Ohio

I know they push us to use group projects with students, but being on that end of it in grad school made me question the practicality of it. When I taught some Business Communication classes at the local community college, the mandatory group project (not my call) was brutal for the students who actually cared.

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Nov 5, 2016
New York
I know they push us to use group projects with students, but being on that end of it in grad school made me question the practicality of it. When I taught some Business Communication classes at the local community college, the mandatory group project (not my call) was brutal for the students who actually cared.

Yep, I absolutely hate the group assignments. There's no benefit to them. It doesn't teach us to "work together". It just teaches the lazy ones that they can ride on other people's coat tails. Maybe that's how it works in the "real" world.

Uncle Joe

Squier-holic
Dec 18, 2015
Jersey
... is about buyer decision model.

I'm gonna write about GAS. ha ha.

Should be nice and short ... but then again, gonna have to examine the pyschological reasonings behind the impulse purchases of cheap guitars. :)
One aspect of the buyer decision model is the pleasure vs. pain equation. If you associate more pain to GAS than pleasure, you will stop purchasing guitars. It works for all addictions. It's simple but not necessarily easy, as it requires self control and a delayed gratification perspective. If you are good at defining important values and beliefs and exploiting related emotional triggers through empowering self-talk, visualization techniques, and state control, then you can pretty much control your behavior at all times. It's the type of thing that you can get better at the more you practice.

Then sometimes you just want a guitar, or a drink, or to see what a legal cannabis shop is like.

Everything in moderation. Balance in life is the key to happiness, I think. That's one of my personal beliefs that most else hinges upon. Even my buyer decisions.

65refinyellow

Squier-holic
Jun 29, 2015
norcal
GAS and buying behavior is a fascinating metric and companies put millions into trying to guess how to forecast.

Do you make stuff just as you need it or do you stack up “some” inventory.

Behringer certainly had a problem with their brilliant 2600 synth module and they lost my business on that hyping it but then having over a year long waiting period!!!

This was Sweetwater’s most in demand instrument that year and incredible considering how hard it is to use.

GAS on steroids, basically. There’s nothing in the guitar world as big as the addiction that Eurorack fiends suffer. I stuck with a Korg sequencer and three small modular synths without getting ten or more like most. Some people have hundreds of these synths.

Last edited:

Randall E

Squier-Meister
Oct 3, 2021
Central California

I lead the group assignment for Ops Management. I set up a manufacturing facility in Tennesee to build MIA guitars at the $1000 price point .... lean manufacturing, Kaizen, one piece flow, 0 inventory, TPS, etc. I literally did 90% of the assignment. The other morons in the group just tagged along ... but I wasn't going to risk a poor grade because those idiots had no clue. Score a 100% on the assignment.F
I was wondering if any of your teammates hang on ST. Calling your teammates idiots and morons? I take it you have not had your HR course yet.

Wait until you get in the business world and have to deal with idiot and moron executives! Ugh!

Uncle Joe

Squier-holic
Dec 18, 2015
Jersey
I was wondering if any of your teammates hang on ST. Calling your teammates idiots and morons? I take it you have not had your HR course yet.

Wait until you get in the business world and have to deal with idiot and moron executives! Ugh!
I can empathize with Eddie on this one. Idiocy is rampant, no doubt. It is challenging and, in some cases, tolerable in the workplace environment so long as the manager is adequately compensated for rising to the team building challenge.

Conversely, I have no patience for peer idiocy in academia, particularly as a student paying as much as hundreds of thousands of dollars to procure a degree. Is it fair that Eddie's idiots earn the same degree? No. But life's not fair. Worse still, Eddie's idiots who matriculate on Gas Man's coatails will be perceived to have more value to the workplace than is realistic. It's the genesis of myriad failures at the workplace and society at large.

Boyd L

Squier-Meister
Dec 11, 2021
Kentucky
Yep, I absolutely hate the group assignments. There's no benefit to them. It doesn't teach us to "work together". It just teaches the lazy ones that they can ride on other people's coat tails. Maybe that's how it works in the "real" world.

In my experience, the grad school group project is as much about the "discovery" of one's own leadership capacity as it is about content/skill mastery or concept development. It's an opportunity to separate one's self from the drones and worker bees. (At this point let me state unequivocally that all organizations need drones and worker bees. Can't function without them.) Authentic leadership is very difficult to find, and harder to cultivate and maintain. The first step to finding it begins with the individual.
I understand (and agree with) the sentiment about less than effective team members. It seems like dragging them, uphill, to a feast to which they didn't contribute one iota. If I focus on the minutiae, I lose focus on relevant things.

Congratulations on course completion.

65refinyellow

Squier-holic
Jun 29, 2015
norcal
So you’re talking about GAS on a quantifiable level and I mentioned that modular synth GAS is worse but usually also it’s more expensive, too.

How does this relate cheap guitars to cheap synths?

It’s grad school and you have to turn over every stone, you know.

So a small Moog Mavis monophonic synth is only $349 which is lower than most other brands. $349, that’s not terrible…But then in working practicality you need those other synths to patch to in order to make it quick enough to patch. Then how many for a basic setup you ask?

Is this GAS?

So while there is “guitar GAS” it’s by far more tame than Eurorack synth GAS which can be still be a necessity in basic operational use, but from the eyes of a guitarist, this synth GAS is a serious addiction.

Last edited:

65refinyellow

Squier-holic
Jun 29, 2015
norcal
In my experience, the grad school group project is as much about the "discovery" of one's own leadership capacity as it is about content/skill mastery or concept development. It's an opportunity to separate one's self from the drones and worker bees. (At this point let me state unequivocally that all organizations need drones and worker bees. Can't function without them.) Authentic leadership is very difficult to find, and harder to cultivate and maintain. The first step to finding it begins with the individual.
I understand (and agree with) the sentiment about less than effective team members. It seems like dragging them, uphill, to a feast to which they didn't contribute one iota. If I focus on the minutiae, I lose focus on relevant things.

Congratulations on course completion.
In my experience but maybe just my schools that the group thing was undergrad and often first two years and grad school was more loner research based “original” work.

Undergrad had tests with some very short papers where as grad school (and maybe last two semesters of BA) are all about papers.

Undergrad papers, maybe due to larger class sizes and relief for the teacher, were limited to three pages. Grad school papers and smaller class sizes are often fifteen pages.

Latest posts