This Glarry Thinline don't sound to bad and looks decent for $120

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by fattboyzz, Oct 20, 2020.

1. dboulders

dboulders Squier-Meister Double Platinum Member

Feb 11, 2019
    New York
    My buddy sent me this at 7:30am and I couldn't believe how nice that looked. My words to him were "buy it, worst case you can throw a Squier neck on it."

I'm pretty damn tempted myself but I really don't have any voids that are needing to be filled right now, although I have been thinking about a tele with a HB at the neck.

Hopefully he buys it then sells it to me in a couple of months :):)

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Mine is from the first batch. The one in the video thumbnail looks like he got one from a later production run. I'm not terribly impressed with mine similar to the way I'm not ever impressed with DBG.

The neck pickup on mine is insanely muddy. Part of the neck pocket on the inside on mine was missing. Mine is a blue, and it's at least a cool color.

Glarry also almost always has promo codes to save at least 5 percent off their list price.

Oh. And my stock high E string broke just while tuning it up.

3. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I bought the same model but different color for $114. I had a $5 coupon. It plays nice. I just put a squier bullet neck on it that I got from one of the members here @surf green
    The guitar has a cap on top and it's sweet looking. A really nice affordable guitar. Add some decent pickups, a better bridge and your all set. I love my Glarry. Tuners are decent.

20201009_121012.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    It's better looking with that neck ;)

Kenneth Mountain and speelyei like this.
  5. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Yeah I think so too.

6. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I'm not happy w the bridge and those barrel saddles. I may get a better bridge. With normal saddles, I think it may resonate better.

7. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Shoot me a message when you take that bridge off an I'll give ya few bucks for it ;)

8. dboulders

Feb 11, 2019
    New York
    I'm <----> close to buying one.. I still have my white whale project that I haven't even started on but damn this is calliinnggg meeeee..

Dude this looks fantastic with the Squier neck!!

9. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Vince, that looks great, nice job.

10. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I forgot to mention this,,,,The only downfall I have with this guitar is how the guitar strings run against the saddle intonation springs, thus causing some vibrational issues, That's why I'm buying a new bridge.

3:12 mark on the video, you can see how the strings touch the springs. Not a fan of this.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  11. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Jun 11, 2010
    SD CA
    Lots of people replacing the neck with a squier plus hardware replacement. And I think technically the guitar is the neck. This feels to me like you have a squier and then you buy a Larry doner body. It just happens to have all the parts to make a guitar. It's crazy that that is the most cost effective way but there it is. How nuts is it that squier cant just charge the 30 or even 50 more and skip the plain boring body and just make a model with the a Larry look. Then again how expensive do you need to get before even fender gives you some decent interesting wood grain. Theres the ash sienna burst and then nothing much until the custom shop prices. I only bought 2 squires because they only had 2 decent woodgrain models. The bsb affinity and the csb squier std.

Kenneth Mountain and dboulders like this.
  12. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Let us know what you get. Please. S-T member jamesgpobog said he didn't like the individual bridge saddles so he put in a Wilkinson compensated bridge I know over at the Firefly forums many owners of the thinline FFTH Tele clones also had trouble with the stock bridges and many also swapped in the Wilkinson. Actually IIRC a lot of the Firefly complaints were because the three saddles were not the compensated types so people wanted either a bridge or something like the Wilkinson compensated saddles. I think some people just bought the Wilkinson bridge set and then just used the saddles.

13. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    There are 6 barrel saddles that come stock on this guitar already, pic enclosed below. I myself don't usually care for barrel saddles, I also don't care for the interference from the strings touching the adjustment springs,,, as mentioned previously. I'm definitely gonna go with a regular 6 saddle style tele bridge. I'll advise when I find one.

20201021_064737.jpg

fattboyzz and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Ok, remind me, if you don't hear back from me soon. Give me a week or so to get a replacement.

15. dboulders

Feb 11, 2019
    New York
    This is basically what I want to do. I did a basic Google search and couldn't find a Squier body that looks as nice as this one. So I'm ok with basically replacing everything on it.

And thanks to my buddy sending me this video yesterday morning and then finding this thread just a couple hours after I felt like it was meant to be.

So yea I placed an order last night and can't wait to get it! Just going to have to figure out something to sell to get some Mod money together.

16. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Btw, has anybody ordered one of these through eBay? On the Glarry website the price is $119.99 and coupons, if available, will knock that down to $113.99.

However, on eBay the price is $97.99 but you do pay state tax and I can't find any coupons or discounts to use. Still that guitar to me with my high state tax is a little under $106.

However I would prefer the backing of eBay instead of just dealing with a website ... nothing against Glarry however ... that I have not dealt with before.

So $8 cheaper but with eBay in my corner I think I would go the eBay route.

If I order one. When I order one.

Frankly I think it would be good for me to try (and "try" is the important word) to learn how to solder so I can swap in some pickups. I have a good spare humbucker from my Ibanez AS-73 on hand if that stock humbucker is muddy as some people say. And I can always buy a bridge pickup if that stock one is a no-no too.