Thinking about getting a Squier short scale bass

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by JohnnyMac, Jan 1, 2019.

1. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Hey all,

I'd like to get a bass and think that I should start with a short scale. Not knowing what to look for on the used market, I'm considering getting either a new Vintage Modified SS Jaguar or a Bullet just because I know what to expect from a Squire.

Would either of these be a good starter bass? Any input will be much appreciated.

John

Scotto2609, dbrian66, RoyalWe and 5 others like this.
  2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Same here..Considering buying a bass..I don't really need anything all that great..Just a short scale basic bass..

3. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I have the VM SS Jag Bass - Love it!

IMHO, its the perfect Bass for a "Guitar Player" (GREAT value, too!)

4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    dbrian66 likes this.
  5. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    The Jag looks like the best thing out there for a novice. More versatile than the Bullet for a few more bucks.

EDIT: I posted this before I saw your post Papa.

Those SX are intriguing. I wonder how they stack up to a Squier.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I still have my 2001 Rogue "Beatle" bass I bought from Musician's Friend. As a semi-hollow body it cries out for flatwounds which I put on; the stock roundwound strings were rubbish. I have a set of La Bella "Deep Talkin" medium flats on it. I also had to have the pegs and maybe the nut widened to accept the medium-gauge strings. I've played it against the VM SS Jag and it just sent it home without supper.

dbrian66 and johnnywizzo like this.
  7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    The danelectro longhorn is a great shortscale for not a lot of money.

[​IMG]

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    So the Rogue has a 31" scale. A little more $ than a VM Jag but it looks like that might be a fun one.

dbrian66 and RoyalWe like this.
  9. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Danos are cool. I have a '59M NOS. But, the longhorn is out of my price range.

dbrian66, RoyalWe and AngelDeVille like this.
  10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Musician's Friend has that 15 percent off on the Longhorn and probably other basses if you call and talk to anybody.

I've always liked the vibe of the Longhorn but my one concern is that there doesn't seem to be any way to intonate the strings with that bridge. Of course I imagine you could add another bridge.

I do suggest the O.P. play some of these short-scale basses. Some bassists don't like short-scale basses because they claim the short scale robs the bass of its full, deep, booming sounds. I don't know really but my little Rogue was my "go-to" bass when I played out at many gigs in the past 15 years or so. I really appreciated its light weight after a 4-hour gig.

11. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    I have short arms and short fingers and have never played bass so I think a short scale would be a good place to start. I'm not too concerned about the tone considerations at this point. Just want to see if I can learn my way around one.

12. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I have had my CAR VM Jaguar SS bass for over four years now. Hardly ever use my full size P/J bass anymore.

Fun to play and sounds good.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    DrBlooze likes this.
  13. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Hi, I can’t recommend the SS Jaguar enough, it’s perfect for guitarists and is an amazing little Bass

Here is a good review off Youtube of them

Holds its own vs an Epiphone EB3 bass too :)

DrBlooze and Caddy like this.
  14. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Last year I too wondered about the same thing, I was curious about getting a bass and almost bit the bait twice, ended up opting for the Portuguese guitar as a new instrument to study given I'd get the chance to actually play it with the tuna, rather than just another thing to mess around at home. Who knows, I may eventually do so depending on how things go this year.

The impression I had when looking around was that as long as you were okay with a lesser "traditional" model, Squier wasn't the best bang for the buck if you're on a tight budget. Much like guitars, as much as I like Squier, I gotta admit in both fields you get better served out of the box with a Yamaha or an Ibanez than a Squier in the sub-$200 tier - the VM models would be solid options if you have a bit more cash, though.

I looked particularly at the Yamaha RBX374 (a really common bass around here and that I saw one for sale for a bargain near me, I kinda still wish I hadn't missed that opportunity - it's full scale, though), and the Ibanez Talman TMB30, the latter has quite a vintage vibe (and sound) to it combined with a short 30" scale (the TMB100 is the equivalent, 34" full scale version).

I was wondering too if a short scale bass would be ideal for me coming from the guitar and asked that to a bassist friend of mine and he told me so, since the fret distance would feel more natural to me, and also the strings would naturally have less tension. I mentioned to him that Ibanez short scale bass and he found its specs quite nice, too.

RoyalWe likes this.
  15. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    Trade you... what color is yours?

[​IMG]

DrBlooze and JohnnyMac like this.
  16. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    It's been modified. Dimarzio Tonezone humbucker with coil tap switch. 005.JPG 004.JPG

AngelDeVille likes this.
  17. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    The Jaguar SS and the Bronco are solid performing instruments with great tone. I highly recommend them.

I would stay away from the EB-0 as they are notoriously muddy sounding and really need a decent EQ and amp. The Squiers, you could even send them to a small guitar amp and have a good tone.

RoyalWe and ChinaCatSunflower like this.
  18. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
  19. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.

Been looking at this one myself.

burke likes this.