The Ventures CRUEL SEA (cover) from our Japanese themed month of surf rock

Discussion in 'Surf Music Forum' started by PangPang, Apr 6, 2021 at 1:54 PM.

1. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau

Hi all, it's been exactly two years since my daughter and I played in public for the first time and had our own full sets (2.5 hours). To commemorate the occasion, we decided to launch a series of Japanese themed surf songs in this month. So here comes The Ventures Cruel Sea (cover) from 1964, as it was one of the songs we played 2 years ago in our mini music session, and definitely it is one of the songs that gives us lots of energy every time we play it, even today. Of course, Mina was using her Squier Strat with lipstick pickups back then too (I was using my Jag) as the Squier Strat was no doubt one of the more reliable guitars we have for gigging. Mina realized we had not played the song for months so it is about time to do it again since she's had a 13 day Spring break. Mina didn't know how to read tabs back then so in the past, I would learn how to play a song in the middle of the night first, figure out all the parts and arrangements, then would teach her the following day. It was an effective way to teach a kid I think and it sure saved me and her a lot of time. Hope you like our cover of the song, and we hope Spring is coming to where you are, and that the song and the nice weather will bring you good luck, lots of energy and that it will put a smile on your face.

wickedtools, mwmeci, Kinnon09 and 9 others like this.
  2. SoCalJim

SoCalJim Squier-Meister

Nov 12, 2020
    SoCal
    That was really good, PangPang! You both looked like you were enjoying yourselves. Thanks for sharing this with us!

PangPang likes this.
  3. Guitcheap

Guitcheap Squier Talker

Nov 24, 2019
    Regina, Sask.
    I was high school through Jan & Dean, the Beach Boys, Ventures. Your video causes me to remember. There's a feeling that goes with those memories. Thank you for your excellent workmanship and workgirlship on your instruments. Would that I could play as well.

4. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Sounds awesome, as always! I saw you Walk Don't Run video on your YouTube channel too, and it was great as well, but when did you get the beautiful Daphne Blue Jag?

SoCalJim and PangPang like this.
  5. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    Thank you for your kind words!!! Some of these tunes are not as hard to play. Try it out...you might be surprised how fast one can pick it up!!! ;-)

SoCalJim likes this.
  6. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    Am glad you like it, SoCalJim!!! Yes, it was very enjoyable jamming together, especially this song!

SoCalJim likes this.
  7. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    Thank you, DougMen! We got the Jag quite a long time ago. I thought it'd be nice to get a Jag to play surf....it was really hard to get anything close to a Mosrite in my town. In my opinion, the Jag produces the rhythm guitar sound I like the most for surf. It was brand new and I had it shipped from Japan (never seen anyone other Jag in my town either). Yet it can be really perfect. The saddle is an issue cos often we real strum hard. I hope I will be able to find a part that will replace it and have the issue solved once and for all. Right now, we have to strum NOT too hard whenever we use it. ;p

SoCalJim and grizzlewulf like this.
  8. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The Mastery bridge is apparently the best one, but it's very expensive. After that, a Mustang bridge with the notched saddles, instead of the threaded saddles on a Jaguar bridge, is still a major improvement.

9. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    Almost bit the bullet and ordered a Mastery. But my luthier advised me it's abit too much money. Then another very cool seller is checking for me if the Squier Jaguar's saddle would fit in mine MIJ Fender Jag. I hope he will have good news for me soon. We have not played the Jaguar for like 2 years in gigs.

DougMen, grizzlewulf and SoCalJim like this.
  10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    First and most important, I'd like to say how much I appreciate your videos and the work you must do with your daughter on her playing.

As for a bridge for the Jaguar, I also suggest maybe you can somehow find a used Staytrem bridge, which is a lot less expensive. However, Staytrem has decided only to sell, ship and accept orders from United Kingdom customers. And there is at least an 8-week waiting period for bridges.

But maybe somehow you could find a used one or know somebody in the U.K. who has that bridge. Current cost is about $96 while the Mastery is about twice that much.

But I'm certain if you go online you can find ways to "fix" your bridge, as I did. Heavier strings, a shim in the neck, a drop of clear fingernail polish or the weaker version of Loctite to silence those rattling bridge screws, etc.

PangPang, grizzlewulf and SoCalJim like this.
  11. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Again, just wonderful!!!

Thank you both for sharing!!!

-don

wickedtools, PangPang and SoCalJim like this.
  12. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Nut

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Thanks for sharing another well done song.

SoCalJim and PangPang like this.
  13. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

Pang Pang, that was cool!!! Brought a smile to my face on this dreary drizzly morning (although spring is definitely here in TN) .....how cool to have fun with your daughter doing something that you both love - I grew up with a lot of surf music, love seeing you post the vids. Tell your daughter "GREAT JOB!!!"

SoCalJim, PangPang and Kinnon09 like this.
  14. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    Wow!!! Thank you for your hot tips, @Ralph124C41 !!!! i will try the fingernail polish! So Staytrem eh? hmmm.....and thank you for telling us you like our videos! What I am try to do is, i want to be able to shoot footages of me and my kid Mina playing all the surf songs we have played before she turns 11 in June. ;-)

SoCalJim likes this.
  15. PangPang

PangPang Squier Talker

Jul 17, 2020
    Macau
    Will def. tell her! We are still exploring 1 mic recording and line-in direct recording. She is helping me a lot and I have asked her to be extra careful and serious when playing. I think I grew up with surf music too but no one told me it was called surf until I found it out myself like a few years ago, the sound I have always loved since I was a kid! So here i am, trying to introduce it to my kid. We play on stage sometimes and some young people thought it's a new genre of cool music. I say, what?! hahaha. They like it too.... ;-) But I have never seen anyone in my town playing surf at all.

Hope the sun will come out soon TN! ;-)))

grizzlewulf, SoCalJim and fuelish like this.
  16. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

It's trying to, now, tomorrow is gonna be nice. Our bird feeders are busy, spring has definitely sprung......and I love the surf stuff...and like you, didn't realize it was a "thing" back in the day, just music I dug .... surf on, man, entertaining stuff :cool:

PangPang and SoCalJim like this.
  17. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    This was really an awesome performance, y’all are ready for touring! Thanks again for sharing.:):cool:

PangPang and SoCalJim like this.