the ultimate telecaster bridge debate

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by horax, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I don't think there is a best bridge it's what you like i prefer 3 saddle vintage myself but have owned about every kind on tele with different bridges. like pu's what you like is the best.

2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The reason that Leo invented the 6 individual saddles on the Strat is because players all told him that the intonation on the Tele sucked.

3. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    That saying Rhett Butler used ;)

4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’ve had ‘em all, from original threaded, to brass compensated, and every type of six saddle version, and cannot with my ear, determine much (if any) difference in tone. I like the bridge on yours as is @horax, but I personally prefer the Block saddles on the Squier standard, they are similar, but have a sandblasted feel finish that your hand doesn’t slip on when you rest your hand on them. I have them on my Sawtooth Tele (only mod thus far), and my Blacktop Tele (both with the original plates).
    9D4D5321-8FBD-4E5E-9BB5-E5729EBD4605.jpeg

5. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Those type of saddles were one of the improvements featured on the American Standard Strat when it was introduced in 1986, but then sometime in the early 2000s the vintage snobs who won't abide by anything invented after picture tubes on TVs were still round made a big stink and Fender went back to the bent steel saddles on their American Strats.

wonkenstein, Best1989 and radiotech like this.
  6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Other than the saddles on my G&L Fallout, they are my fav saddles.
    I have considered putting them on my MIM Strat (I have a few sets left I got cheap on eBay a while back, thanks to a post from @Kenneth Mountain), but I’ve had no issues with the bent steel ones on that Strat (other than uncomfortable on the picking hand)... it’s ‘ a round tuit’.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. BlueTele

BlueTele Squier-Meister

Aug 29, 2019
    Waleska, Georgia
    Or you could go the G&L route.

zIMG_9442d_1024x1024 (1).jpg

8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have no preference between the two. I find them both equally functional and I hear no difference between the two. It just cracks me up that the snobs can't tolerate anything that didn't exist when Leo's company was still printing black and white catalogs.

Black Strat and radiotech like this.
  9. Gavaldi

Gavaldi Squier Talker

Apr 29, 2015
    London, Ky.
    I just received a new standard tele bridge and string ferrules to go on my
    affinity. Just waiting for the next string change and I'll be converting her
    to a string through. While I like the looks of the vintage three saddle bridge,
    the standard one is way more practical.

10. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

I got the Gotoh modern bridge, which is chrome over beefy brass base plate and saddles. Supposed to sound fatter and less twangy, which is what I wanted. I haven't built the guitar it will go in, so I can't claim anything about how it sounds. Got a brand new one for $19 shipped recently, but they're usually about $58. Will use with G&L ASAT Classic MFD pickups.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EB123MM/?tag=squiertalk-20

11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Sweet. How did you do that?

12. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    With six individual saddles you'll get more precise intonation, no doubt about it. Tone? Well there's the personal preference kicking in... and the original Teles had the chrome ashtray with three straight brass saddles. Newer versions are like the Wilkinson with the three compensated brass saddles or Joe Barden's design with a five screw plate mount but you can get Wilkinson or Barden types saddles to retrofit any ash tray these days. I actually like the tone and sustain of the Joe Barden bridge quite a bit and the intonation is quite good, much like it would be on a well set up acoustic flat top - a little in and a little out everywhere.

You can get six saddle bridges in steel, brass, stainless.... you can switch out the saddles for brass, steel, stainless. Some are already steel with brass or zinc saddles. Aftermarket parts to fit Teles are endless these days. One of my Teles is set up with a chrome plated brass Gotoh six saddle bridge, another is set up with a brass Gotoh bridge plate and I fitted GFS stainless saddles to it.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  13. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

A shop in NC had one that must have been a return. I caught the sale at the right time. It had a few bits of dust on it that I could blow off, otherwise was perfect. Heavy sucker, weighs half a pound! On my ash Strat body ("Stratele" conversion), this will be one heavy guitar.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=324083093789

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  14. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    Did you have to make any major adjustments due to height issues?
    I read a review where somebody had to shim the neck because the baseplate was so big.

15. Michael7

Michael7 Dr. Squier

Sorry, this is as far as I've gotten with this project. Need to rout the body and drill for string-thru. I may not get to this until later this summer.

Attached Files:

16. late2guitar

late2guitar Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2016
    Middle Tennessee
    I play it as I get it mostly, but I prefer block, string thru. I do appreciate the elegance of the top load 3 barrel saddles.

17. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    See, that's one thing I cannot do....the top loader.
    I always have a hard time stringing it through hte hole and bending it above hte saddle.
    so much easier doing the string thru.

18. NoStoneUnturned

NoStoneUnturned Squier Talker

May 27, 2020
    Minnesota
    I love the 3-barrel through the body ashtray on my 60's CV Tele. It's actually one of my favorite guitars that I've ever owned.

I also have any Affinity Tele that's sort of a "learn as you go" project guitar; I've been thinking about mod'ing it for strings through the body but I don't have a drill press. Has anybody had any experience with that sort of mod?

19. NoStoneUnturned

NoStoneUnturned Squier Talker

May 27, 2020
    Minnesota
    That should be a line in a song.....

fattboyzz likes this.
  20. FenderFanatic

FenderFanatic Squier Talker

Feb 4, 2020
    The Cotswolds U.K.
    As all these debates its a case of "One mans Honey another mans Gaul" Also as with the majority of issues, few are ever etched in stone. It comes down to personal taste. For me I prefer the 6 block as there is better intonation scope.