The treasures you had now gone!

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
How many things items objects have you owned and sold, now later they are valued as a treasure? You know that bike you had, car you owned, guitar, gold or silver coin or even any old coins?

Honda made a motor cycle called a Dream. In the mid 1970's no one where I lived wanted them, not a collector's item and flooded the population as a used bike. Some three speed pedal bikes the same. 1963 split window Vette, $3,800.00 on the used car lot in 1970. Silver dollars from vegas, worth just a dollar. 1960 Strat, everywhere for less then new price in the music stores in the 1970's, hard to sell one for even breaking even with what you paid for it. Gold was around $30.00 an ounce, in a canyon up from where I lived we could go up and pan for gold, maybe make $100.00 between us kids panning it and had a smile ear to ear doing that for the weekend in the 1950's All of these things are treasures I wish I would have kept. But it was great to have had them and have fond memories.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
If looked at in $$s yes, things. I had a late fifties Tele. A now super-rare (and thus valuable) first generation Vibroverb - one of the brown tolex ones. And again, by the $ a “should’a kept.” But they served their purpose and beyond that I never think of them. Cycles, too. A 1965 Super Hawk. A 1964 Chevelle SS convertible. Yellow. Gorgous! Sold. Gone.

No, none matter beyond the pleasant memories.

Ah, but the people from those eras in my life! THEY I miss. Still present in my heart. Beyond price.

Some I lost contact with and simply cannot now find. Others remained close yet I lost them to the sad temporary nature of life. (Several of The Abstracts fall into those catagories. Other old band-mates as well.) -People that *made* my life what it has been.

They I miss. Too, too, many such!

Such comes with life. With age. With living.

Yup. Them I miss.

The things not so much.

-don

Last edited:

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
If looked at in $$s yes, things. I had a late fifties Tele. A now super-rare (and thus valuable) first generation Vibroverb - one of the brown tolex ones. And again, by the $ a “should’a kept.” But they served their purpose and beyond that I never think of them. Cycles, too. A 1965 Super Hawk. A 1964 Chevelle SS convertible. Yellow. Gorgous! Sold. Gone.

No, none matter beyond the pleasant memories.

Ah, but the people from those eras in my life! THEY I miss. Still present in my heart. Beyond price.

Some I lost contact with and simply cannot now find. Others remained close yet I lost them to the sad temporary nature of life. (Several of The Abstracts fall into those catagories. Other old band-mates as well.) -People that *made* my life what it has been.

They I miss. Too, too, many such!

Such comes with life. With age. With living.

Yup. Them I miss.

The things not so much.

-don
Yes indeed. Life does take us all down a path no mater what within loss of family or friends. At times the loss comes when you would never guess it. But as you, those people are also the ones you miss and think of with a warm touch of the soul.

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
Can't spend much time thinking about "if only" - whether things, roads not taken, even people we've met and wished we had known better... that path can go nowhere except to melancholy or depression.

I think we're all prone to do that now and then, but since we can't predict the future, no sense lamenting the past.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Can't spend much time thinking about "if only" - whether things, roads not taken, even people we've met and wished we had known better... that path can go nowhere except to melancholy or depression.

I think, Mike, your words show wisdom. The only thing I'd add to them is that some things can be 'undone.' I've searched out old friends. And been the recipient of others having chosen to do the same.

I've been amazed at the joy I have gotten by becoming friends, even, with the children of the friends of my youth. In several cases their mom and/or dad is now gone, but their memories and affections -- and even their connections to me -- remains alive in their now grown 'children.'

Oddly such a search was in part reason for the Abstracts 'rebirth' back in 2010. I'd lost track of several bandmates and had determined to find them, then created (and posted) a video of one of our better known songs in celebration having done so. It was that which led to our 2010 'rebirth' and LP. Pure serendipity that! :)

-don

FrieAsABird

Squier-Meister
Jan 25, 2022
Germany
If I only talk about material stuff, there are some things I think I just couldn't really appreciate while I had them; most were sold off to fund other things. I had a Fiesta Red Classic Series 50s strat, that was a great one, but I don't think I gave it a good setup back then. If I had it now, I would love to see how well I could make it play! I also really miss my Simon Neill Cv strat in Fiesta red, but what's the use in crying over beans long spilled?

Caddy

Dr. Squier
Nov 29, 2010
Indiana
Things with monetary value can be replaced. Things with sentimental value, etc. cannot be replaced.

Many years ago an ex-wife and I were splitting up. I moved out taking only a few essentials with me. I planned on going back in a couple days to pick up my personal belongings I had before our marriage. Those things included all my music gear, high school year books and all the pictures of my four sons from my first marriage, and recordings I had of every band I had played in since about 7th grade, as well as all my army papers, awards, etc. I did go back to pick my stuff up a couple days later. When I got there she told me that the house had been broken into and all my stuff had been stolen. Really? Funny it was only my things and none of hers. She even had a police report.

Who is going to steal family pictures, year books, old army paper work, etc. and old recordings?

When we finally went to court I mentioned that to the judge and he asked me what I wanted to have done about it. Of course I told him there was nothing we could do about it but I just wanted it mentioned.

Some things just can’t be replaced and will always be missed.

Horseflesh

Squier-Meister
Sep 19, 2020
Seattle-ish
I regret selling a couple of my pinball machines many years ago... It worked out for the best because I used the funds to buy other games that I still have. The games I sold, I sold for a good reason at the time. But I wish I could have kept them all. They were all unique and cool in their own way, even if I didn't play them every day.

For me, the items I treasured that are now gone aren't material items but physical locations.

I've noticed in the last ten years or so, all my beloved and once secluded places are overrun. The hiking trails and mountain lakes of Idaho that I used to have all to myself or maybe share with others of a kindred spirit are now jammed with boy scout groups, amplified music, and waste. Problem is, the people who are coming to these places are coming from more populated areas, so to them, being surrounded by a human mass is just part of their existence.

Same thing here in Mexico - quaint little surf towns (Sayulita) that I went to 20 years ago, where you could sit streetside and enjoy some tacos and beer are overrun with people on cruise ships making day trips from Puerto Vallart. There are so many people per day that they overwhelm the capabilities of the sewage system and the overflow goes to a creek and then into the ocean right where people are swimming and surfing. 🤢🤮

And don't even get me started on our National Parks.

At least I can say I saw them when they were good.

Paulsomeone

Squier-Meister
Dec 26, 2020
Canada
1966 Fender Electric XII, bought in 1992 once I got a “career job”. Like a fool I sold that.

Also, an old Korg PolySix analog synthesizer. I bought it sometime around 1990 for $300. Sold it too, for the same price I paid, sometime later in the 90s. I see now they go for $3K.

As for sentimental things, let’s not go there. I have a week to go before my next therapy session.