The PERFECT Ernie Ball Strings?!?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by SquierTap, Oct 27, 2020.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    So, as most of you guys know, I switched to REALLY light strings a few years back when I was learning Country lead... .08 gauge strings REALLY help with bends, ESPECIALLY with me havin a bum finger (cut the flexor tendon in my left middle finger about 9 years ago and completely lost its ability to bend)...

BUT, the problem with .08s and you have to have an EXTREMELY LIGHT touch... It's EASY to even CHORD sharp... So, about 6 weeks ago I found out that D'addario makes a set of 8.5s! Boom, problem solved... They're great... They're easy to bend, AND they stay in tune! But, I really hated to switch brands because I've LOVED Ernie Ball Strings my whole life...

Well, the other day, on a whim I stopped into my local GC... I've been out of the house maybe 6 times since the pandemic started, and ALL of those trips were to the doctor's office or the hospital, so it was DAMNED nice JUST to get out...

So I went over and HAD to try out one of those new Paranormal Series thinking Cabronita Teles... Really nice, and WAY lighter than my semi-hollow P-90 Harley Benton... And I'll be honest, the blonde finish that was on the NECK did not look to be the best quality...

But while I was waiting in line to check out, I look over at the counter, and I couldn't believe my eyes! The "classic" .09 gauge EBs are "Super Slinky" and the .08s I used to use are "Extra Slinky", and I'm assuming that these are new, but they're called "Mighty Slinky"... I went ahead and bought 3 sets, and I don't think that I've EVER been happier when buyin strings, lol...
    IMG_20201027_124043189_HDR.jpg

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Those were released in March 2020.....

3. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    What do they retail for, and how do they compare to D'addario XLs ? I haven't tried EBs in a long time!

Angry Possum and SquierTap like this.
  4. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister Platinum Supporting Member

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    IME, XLs and the common Slinkys sound close enough for rock n roll. That is, I can't hear a difference. Same for Fender Nickel Plated.

I started using XL's years ago because they were local to me and I liked the plastic VCI packaging. Buy what's on sale, or whatever you're loyal to.

The length of your guitar cable or effects chain has a bigger effect on your tone than XL vs Slinky.

Oh, and I swore off Fender Bullets after I had various sets get stubbornly stuck in various trem blocks. They look kinda neat sticking out of a Gibson stop bar though!

SquierTap and VM51SQ like this.
  5. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    From EB's own website description it looks like those strings were designed for just the purpose you mention, @SquierTap .

Glad you landed on those!

SquierTap likes this.
  6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I use ernie ball 10s mostly. My new Charvel has 9s on it. May try 9s for awhile just because I don't want to adjust the zero point on a Floyd at all rite now.
    I have never noticed 8.5. I tried 8s awhile back and going from 10s to 8s was crazy. They bend so easy. I'm heavy handed I think so 10 are perfect for me really. Every time I have tried another brand I take them off and get my Ernie Balls back on it.

SquierTap likes this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Daddarios are brighter to my ears than EBs. I keep going back to EB, 'cause they just seem to have the best Fender "twang" of all the brands I've tried, although, for some reason, my Performer Strat likes Fender 250s more than the EBs. Fender strings are made by Daddario, but sound different than Daddario or EB, falling somewhere in between the two, brighter than EB, but not as bright as Daddario. And, the Fender strings feel slinkier than either, and are easier to bend IMO.

8. Ken Rose

Ken Rose Squier-holic

Sep 23, 2010
    Northern California
    I’m a fan of slinky’s. I’ve also noticed a lot of Hendrix sized string packs coming out the past few months.

SquierTap likes this.
  9. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I have used the Fender strings a few times and liked them. I think you are rite may be certain guitars just sound different.

SquierTap likes this.
  10. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, there are SOME of us that DON'T know EVERY damned thing, hoss, lol... I was in the dark about these, lol... My locking tuners and my chrome knobs just came in about 5 minutes ago, so I'm gonna try to get that cursed Strat up and runnin later today, and I'm gonna throw a set of these on there and see how I like 'em...

fattboyzz likes this.
  11. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    They were $5.49 at GC, same as most EBs... Like I just told Guitarmaggedon, I haven't gotten to try 'em yet, but I'm gonna put a set of that cursed Strat later today and we'll see... Hell, they're 8.5 EBs, I'm just about sure I'll LOVE 'em, lol...

VM51SQ, fadetoz and fattboyzz like this.
  12. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Huh... I'm gonna have to look that up and see what ya mean, Wild...

13. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I'm the exact same, Fade... I've flittered around a bit... Tried those Rev Willy .07s, and I actually liked those 8.5 D'addarios, but I always come back to EBs... And for me 8.5 is JUST right... Easy to bend, but actually stay in tune with my heavy handed approach...

fadetoz likes this.
  14. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I'm gonna have to try these and see .

I generally have to stay with 8s because of arthurs itis in my hands .

I didn't see these at GC a couple weeks back when I got a 3 for $10.50 deal on my Extra Slinky sets . Gonna have to surf up some I guess ;)

SquierTap and fadetoz like this.
  15. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Billy Gibbons from ZZ top uses 7s I believe.
    I mice-elf like Ernie 8s and 9s, However, I may try Gibbons 7s one day.

SquierTap likes this.
  16. fadetoz

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I was thinking about putting 9s on my Peavey but I'm going to play some drop tuning stuff. Wonder how those 7s would feel in drop tuning?

SquierTap likes this.
  17. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Yep, Billy Gibbons is "Reverend Willy" that puts out those .07 gauge "Reverend Willy's Mexican Lottery Tickets"... I REALLY liked the way they felt... Just SUPER easy to play, but I'm so heavy handed that, like I said, even my CHORDS were goin sharp... So these are JUST right for me...

Angry Possum likes this.
  18. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    You're the only other cat around besides me that uses .08s, so I'd definitely give 'em a day in court anyway... I was really diggin those 8.5 D'addario's... Just perfect for me, so when I found out EB are now makin 8.5s, I just HAD to try some... Those "Extra Slinky" .08s are kinda "home base" for me, but I DO have problems with 'em goin sharp... But I've found that the 8.5s DON'T do that, the D'addario's anyway... I'll give these a shot later today and report back...

fattboyzz likes this.
  19. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    To me, they FELT great, lol... Just couldn't keep 'em in tune, lol... For a while there I had a Strat with .07 Rev Willy's on it, and I had it tuned to Eb... When I dropped it to D, things did get a LIL floppy, but not nearly as bad as I thought it'd be...

fadetoz likes this.
  20. mwmeci

mwmeci Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2015
    Minneapolis
    Does it seem odd to have a wound G on light gauge strings?
    Edit: the D is wound, I thought it was the G.

SquierTap likes this.