The Name is Squier

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by deve53, Jan 29, 2020.

1. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I guess you can turn it off, but I rely pretty heavily on it. Spelling was never my strong suit. My phone has “learned” that I want to spell it that way and doesn’t correct it anymore.

2. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    This is in the bass forum ?

They are good eatin ;)

Mr Bones likes this.
  3. Atlen

Atlen Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    From norwegian sell/buy/trade:
    squaer.PNG

4. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-holic

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
  5. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Well at least they got the -er in the proper order.

6. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    This

7. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    J B Squier was an English immigrant, not that that makes a difference

8. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    The English language is an absolute nightmare, 'OUGH' for instance, just so you know, Frank Bough, (pronounced, Boff') was an English sport presenter; "Frank Bough drove through Slough to buy a trough". Slough rhymes with Cow, Through rhymes with Glue and Trough rhymes with Cough, ha theres another one

9. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    You're quite right, it doesn't.

Mr Bones likes this.
  10. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

That's quite enough/enuff, thank you very much! :rolleyes:

Marko60 likes this.
  11. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    So we're all agreed then, its Squire Stracotaster, Tecolaster, Provision Base, Jizz Base, Jizzmeister and Jagwar

12. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

I don't know, got you to the middle of the second page, Papa! :p

13. TimTheViking

I've always pronounced and heard "slough" as "slew". But I'm from the northern US. Maybe we should just say "bog". :)

14. TimTheViking

If you don't know the story behind the brand, it makes sense to assume it's "Squire" if you think about it. A knight is a highly revered and respected individual. A squire is a knight-wannabe. Fender is highly a highly revered and respected brand. A Squier is a Fender wannabe. So it makes sense. At least to me. :)

Leo Jazzmaster likes this.
  15. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    Or, "Brandeen, wharrs ma coon hound"?

16. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    The founder of Squier was a Luthier, theres never been a Luthier anywhere near Fender. Squier is what Fender made it

17. Thundertips

Thundertips Squier Talker

Apr 13, 2021
    Ontario, Canada
    I have no idea... Maybe they watched to many old British movies about King Arthur and the Knights Of The Round Table... Haha. Squier was the name of a string manufacturer that Fender bought and then used the name on the cheaper instruments.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  18. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

One of the big reason's I think is the fact that the E and R are right next to each other on the keyboard. I'm guilty myself of tapping the R first and then the E because of that very reason. I get in a hurry I guess.

19. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Squier Talker

Jan 1, 2020
    Ohio
    You can use that to your advantage. If a potential buyer searches the wrong spelling, your ad will still show up in his results.

20. edro

edro Squier Talker

Who cares that much about how Squier is spelled in a forum commentary...
    That scores about 1E-42 on the scheme of things Important Tish Scale....

If I can understand the post, I'm good.... I started with IRC in the wild wild west days of the interwebz....as did some of the other old farts here... Perfectly normal to make up abbreviations and the like... Nobody cared... It was expected... Forums are now a eng092 class? Jeebus... Let it go.... Lots more serious stuff to ponder on...like which color pickguard sounds the best...or why do some say pickguard and some say scratch plate and some just plain don't care which terminology makes you moist..... Peghead or headstock? I don't care. Do we shoot the 'pond'ers' that sling an extra "u" around....use "y" instead of "i", or "s" instead of "c"? You know across the pond where Cookies are Chips, Chips are Crisps, Jello is Jelly, and Biscuits are Scones... Do we take em out for that? Gray or Grey? Take-Out or Take-Away? Who cares.....

:p

Leo Jazzmaster likes this.