The Name is Squier

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by deve53, Jan 29, 2020.

1. deve53

deve53 Squier Talker

Sep 26, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Y oh Y! Do people still insist on spelling the name Squire, after all these years?

2. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Just like how people still spell Jason Witten's name as Whitten ... after 14 years in the league. :)

3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    In some people’s defense, even if you type it correctly, spell check will change it to Squire until it learns that you wanted it the other way. My phone always used to change it. It doesn’t anymore.

4. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    What does it matter?, we allow/accept people using text abbreviations when writing, so why can't we accept that subconsciously people will spell Squire( possibly because this is the correct spelling of squire) instead of Squier, Suck it up cos we are grown ups not kids in the playground. Maybe if we start pronouncing it " SQUEER", then again, maybe not...

5. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    I like "Squire". Typed in a CL search I find listings that others might miss. ;)

6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    OP is from the UK, NFL names might not be relevant. Mkhitaryan and Wilshere might be. :)

Then again, people in the UK pronounce it Lester (Leicester) and Wooster-sher (Worcestershire). :)

7. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Guilty of both Eddie! Lol.

8. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I'm pretty sure anyone that is new and spelling it wrong will figure it out very quickly. Why not just give them a break since you know what they are talking about? I see no need to have the spelling police on hand.

9. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    I really got it wrong on this one.

021.JPG

10. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Too funny. The autocorrect on our phones changes Squier and Squire to Squirt. h aha

11. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Not even sure which one is proper! Lol..My peeps made the proper software changes... Then I fired em!

12. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I do not care how people spell it but if I desire to spell words correctly I can. Spell check isn't all powerful. A quick proof read before posting is all it takes to find and correct my errors. When I do not proof read before posting, I usually have mistakes.

13. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-holic

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
  14. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    But what about the SQUIER family who started the company in the 19th century? Is it ok if we all call you 50freight

dbrian66, deve53, 5ofeight and 2 others like this.
  15. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    By the way, spell check can be a right nightmare, I had a crappy meal in a local restaurant so I texted the manager and told him I wanted to sack his cook

Nightmare

16. Simple … people don't care enough anymore. That's why even after seeing my name in print (Barrie) more often than not, they'll spell it Barry.
    I had a hell of a time getting the spelling changed on my mortgage (when I had one) to the correct one, even thought it was the mortgage company that made the mistake.
    Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66, deve53 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. Forum Guest

Forum Guest Squier-Meister

Jan 22, 2019
    United States
    I’m in the same boat. I’ve worked long enough with people of various educational backgrounds to have to decipher what was supposed to be typed in an email, memo, etc. However, about 75% of my posts on here are made from my iPhone, and Siri has her own idea of how things should be spelled... I usually find a few mistakes if I take a minute to look at my post before submitting (so far she’s made about 5 that I’ve had to fix)....

Note: I don’t always take the time to proof my posts...

18. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I have dyslexia so I almost never notice the typo.

19. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Squier-holic

Mar 5, 2018
    Front range Colorado
    Oh man. I just searched "Squire" in the local CL and one of my own ads came up. I spelled it correctly in the title but in one part of the text I spelled it "Squire". And I'm usually pretty careful to proofread. :eek:

Squier II Contemporary HSS - Korea - $125 (Longmont)

This 1991 Korean made Squire is in very good condition. Squiers from this era are known to have very nice necks and this one is no exception and shows no fret wear. Everything works as it should. New strings and a fresh set-up.

Nadnitram, dbrian66, deve53 and 3 others like this.
  20. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    My cousin has dyslexia, every Christmas he takes his kids to see Satan

Davis Sharp, dbrian66, deve53 and 9 others like this.