The joys of living in NYC

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Jul 19, 2021.

1. otma

otma Squier-holic

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    The Ring Camera invites a different kind of security risk. Too many accounts of them being porous to hackers.

Eddd and dbrian66 like this.
  2. Shaman

Shaman Squier Talker

May 18, 2020
    Middle Island, New York
    Wrap it in razor wire...

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-Axpert

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I can't, just as you can't provide figures that say they're all drug addicts or terrible people......but that's a discussion for another day.

Mojotone, GunnyPlaysLoud and dbrian66 like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I recently read something I thought equally true, and interesting. That the greatest freedom any person has is the freedom to leave.

I think the person who said it was a Cuban American. But I have German American friends whose entire youth had been directed by the same principle. Then down came the wall and they up and went.

Many statistics -- including those compiled by the various truck rental firms -- say that realization is today increasingly common even here in the States.

I upped and did it. Twice.

Freedom to and equally freedom from.

-don

Mojotone, ScoobySnacker and dbrian66 like this.
  5. Doc538

Doc538 Squier-Meister

Jan 23, 2021
    Ma
    Dang man, sorry for your loss. It hurts when you get robbed, leaves a nasty taste in your mouth, and your trigger finger gets itchy. They can steal a Prius Cat in under 1 minute with a fast battery operated saw. It is not just NY though, It's everywhere. I came from the big city and now live in a town of 12,000, never robbed in the city, but they broke into my office and stole all of my computers in this quiet little town.

6. Doc538

Doc538 Squier-Meister

Jan 23, 2021
    Ma
    Feeding the family is no excuse, Ever heard of SNAP ? Food Banks ? NO ONE in this country need go hungry, they are thieving for drugs or kicks but not to support their families.

7. Doc538

Doc538 Squier-Meister

Jan 23, 2021
    Ma
    Here's an idea that will work and make you the coolest Prius Owner around.....ready ? Make a low rider out of it ! with it bagged with hydraulics you can lower it to the ground and they can't get under it but you can go bouncing down the blouvard at night.... I know stupid post, sorry ! I like the building a berm under the car, might be a problem in winter, also the best security at home is LIGHTS. there are thousands of other cars they can hit so if your lighted up they won't stop, the camera is good but a long shot of actually catching someone. The cat lock is too easy to remove, remember it is attached to super thin metal.

8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    I made no such claim. I will, however, go on the record as saying that they are all criminals who should either be beaten or shot (check your local laws first) if caught in the act, or incarcerated if caught later. I don't give a rat's ass about their circumstances or motivations.

ScoobySnacker and Guitarmageddon like this.
  9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-Axpert

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I tend to always think of the old analogy of imprisoning a thief for stealing a loaf of bread.....inspiration for Les Miserables.....

I am by no means a thief, and have never stolen anything in my life other than candy from a store when I was 4 lol......but, I've known some, not by choosing them, but by being introduced to them, relatives of a friend I used to know. His mother is a great woman, but her some of her brothers were a mess in a lot of ways. Let's just say things weren't always what they seemed. Sometimes, yes, prior convictions might make it next to impossible to find work - but even if they tried their best and went 'straight', AND managed to find a job, it would never be a long lasting or good paying one, and unemployment and welfare wasn't always available.....not that it's an excuse....but it's sometimes those kinds of people.....

But of course, now I'm getting sort of involved into political things and taking sides, and I don't want to ruin this thread, just get my point across....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    dbrian66, ScoobySnacker and Eddd like this.
  10. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I just remember putting my money in my shoe when I went to New York to see a Rock show or a Ranger game. And I was a kid with no money. Are we back to that? It doesn't take a lot of politics to think somethings up. Last time I felt this way about safety in the city somebody shot John Lennon on the street.

ScoobySnacker likes this.
  11. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

There are ways to mitigate this vulnerability. I have my cams on a separate VLAN with a firewall and IPS/IDS system between the VLAN and my interior network. Sure, the hackers can get to my camera from the Internet, but it is difficult to get anything more than a picture of my front yard.

wraub, dbrian66 and LutherBurger like this.
  12. Eddd

Eddd Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    I have a garage that I put my car in instead of using it for crap I don’t want anymore.Plus it stays snow free in winter.If you have one use it wisely ,nobody will ever touch your car if they can’t see it.

dbrian66, ScoobySnacker and Eddie like this.
  13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    If I ever buy a doorbell camera, I'm gonna ask you to translate this for me. :)

14. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    No, drag him out to Meadowlands.

15. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Sigh, I don't have a garage. I can have one built ... but it'll increase my footprint and increase my property taxes. Sigh.

16. Eddd

Eddd Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    It’ll also raise your resale value.the next owner could use it to store all of their useless crap while the car gets it’s cat stolen while sitting in the drive way.Ha Ha.

17. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

I would be happy to do so.

I do need to apologize. I spend so much of my day enmeshed in the tech community that I sometimes forget we speak in code.

What it means is that I segment my network, which is another tech term that means I build the network in such a way that not everything can talk to everything else. To use an analogy think of your home network (a local area network, or LAN) as a house. It has separate rooms. If you leave all the doors open, then then you can freely and easily move from room to room. If I close and lock the doors, and then put alarms on them it gets much harder to move about.

In networking terms the rooms are virtual local area networks (VLANS), the locks are the intrusion prevention system (IPS) and firewalls, and the alarms are the intrusion detection system (IDS). My network is crazy complicated for a home, but it is what I do for a living so it is also my lab where I experiment.

My point above is that there are ways to use these new devices safely. You just have to have the know-how or be willing to hire and pay for it. For most folks it is too expensive to hire a network engineer for a home network.

wraub and Kenneth Mountain like this.