The "Hex-Caster" Begins...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by SquierTap, Feb 22, 2020.

1. B Stock

B Stock Squier-Meister

Feb 6, 2020
    left coast
    mack-daddy is rolling wide! that's so so cold sweat, royal strutting purple sex machine

SquierTap likes this.
  2. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    Don't know how I missed this thread but sure am enjoying it! Hat's off to you on this project - straight-up badass. (That's Yankee for "good" from an undercover Southerner by birth LOL!!) Dang nice job Tap!

SquierTap and Mr Bones like this.
  3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Enjoying this project, great work so far. However I think @Mr Bones is going to cost me money after looking at those tooled leather pick-guards.

SquierTap likes this.
  4. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Gracias, hoss! My son actually asked me if I was makin a Prince guitar, lol...

5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks, man... I feel like I actually know what I'm doin... Sometimes, lol...

6. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Those ARE sharp, ain't they? And dangerous, lol... Cause when I saw that real alligator pickguard, it was a couple hundred bucks, so it was INSTANTLY a no go, but $59? That's actually reasonable... And tempting... And makes me wanna get into the pickguard business, lol... But then again, that's why I started CKSquare Guitars... For stuff like that, lol...

7. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    So, what am I doin durin the viral apocalypse? Clear coat... Duh... Lol...
    IMG_20200328_125708424~2.jpg IMG_20200328_125656929~2.jpg

It actually felt good to step outside and get some sun on my face... I've left the house exactly TWICE in the last 3 months... And that's not "social distancing", that's havin 3 kids including a 3 year old, and a wife who's a nurse and is literally at work far more than she's home... I was "sheltering in place" before it was cool, lol...

So today, I snuck out the back door and got my clear coat on... I managed to get about 3 good coats on during the TINY break in the weather... I honestly can't remember the last time it wasn't raining and muddy as heck... But as SOON as I got those 3 coats on, here come the rain, thunderstorms, and the tornado warnings again...

So a few more coats of clear, and I'm gonna have to wire up the pickguard... Which I'm kinda dreadin, because the one thing I forgot to order was a 3 way Oaks/Grigsby switch... Thank goodness I had a 3 way import switch in my parts box... But it's one of the TINY import switches, and runnin those TEEMY TIMY jumpers is gonna be a pain, lol...
    And I love how that purple looked once I got it in the sun... The grain showed through quite nicely, especially for paulownia...

rbh32, Mr Bones and squierTony like this.
  8. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Welp... The rain, she returns, lol... Stuck back inside... Plus my rattle can clogged and I've got some uneven results... SOME of the body looks like it's under a delicious candy shell, lol, which is what I'm goin for... And the rest of it? Not so much, lol... Just feels kinda rough...
    Of course, I'm still figuring poly out and how it behaves... The only experience I have with clear coating is exactly ONE body that I did with lacquer... It turned out pretty well, (WAY better than it had a right to be, being my first project), but A: Lacquer takes FOREVER to cure... I let that body sit for over a MONTH before starting to wet sand it, and even though the finish is deep, wet, and beautiful looking, I'm starting to get little blemishes that almost look like burst bubbles... Just a few little, tiny, circular blemishes... So, maybe I DIDN'T wait long enough... Or maybe it's cause I didn't warm my lacquer up with warm water, or maybe just my horrible, rank noob "skills", lol...

I like working with poly so far... I've done a couple necks with it, and now that I'm starting to get okay at wet sanding/buffing, I've had pretty good results... At least the paulownia feels a lil more sturdy with a good couple coats on it...

But since I'm almost out of spray poly, and since my nozzle seems to be messed up (gotta check it and clean it), and since I just CAN NOT catch a break weather-wise, I'm SERIOUSLY starting to consider breakin out that can if wipe-on poly in the cabinet... From what I know, the only difference is that wipe-on poly is WAY thinner... But otherwise, compatible, and basically the same...

As best as I can figure, I've got about 5 GOOD coats on... But, like I said, some areas look good, and some still need some work... But MY problem is that I don't know exactly HOW much I need... With that green S.E. I did in lacquer, I used almost 3 whole rattle cans... But of course, with lacquer they say it isn't how much ya PUT on, it's how much ya LEAVE on... So, I know I'm over doin it, but that's the only way I know... So far, lol...

So, if the rain continues, and it probably will, I might "be forced" to try out the wipe-on... Guess we'll see...

Mr Bones likes this.
  9. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    The saga continues! Well, the neck might've been dream, but this body has been a nightmare, man! Lol... I LOVE workin in guitars, but man, this one gave me a TIME...

First off, for any noobs out there, cause nobody told me, lol, but evidently you have to grain fill paulownia... I had no idea... So, as you can imagine, the clear coat has been a HECK of a job to get even...
    When I first got my initial 4 or 5 coats on, I was thinkin, "Man, that looks uneven..." Lol... Duh... It basically had all these ridges in it... So, I grabbed some 800 grit to smooth it down... Of course, that BARELY did anything, so I wound up havin to use 400... And I eventually got it a LOT more level... Then sprayed more poly over the top...
    But of course, somehow the nozzle on my last can of spray poly got messed up and it just WOULDN'T spray even... No matter how much I cleaned it, or held it upside down, it was mostly shooting out of one side... And it's not like I can bop down to Ma & Pop's hardware and get another can, lol, so I made do... Until I ran out of spray poly, lol...

So then I thought, let's give this wipe-on poly a day in court... One thing that I DID think about is that wipe-on poly is a lot thinner, and as a result, it self levels... So I thought that might just be the ticket...

So, I wiped poly on, sanded, wiped more on, rinse and repeat for a few days...

It's still not just PERFECTLY level, and it never will be, but I'm alright with that... Anytime I run into a snag, or accidently ding the body (it happens A LOT with paulownia) I just keep tellin myself, "Look, this is SUPPOSED to look like it was made and played by an old, Voodoo bluesman in a bayou... So what if it has a few chips... It WOULD have chips and dings... It SHOULD look like it's held together with alligator skin, moss, duct tape and Voodoo..." Lol, so I'm okay with it...
    But the next time I build a "show" guitar, or especially one to sell, I'm gonna go with basswood, or something a lil tougher and more even than paulownia, man... Lol...

So now that I had a semi flat, shiny body, I went ahead and sheilded it, and I started installing the hardware... And I discovered that I had forgotten to order a trem claw, and strap buttons... Of course! Well, no huge deal, cause like ALL of us, I've got a "parts" box, lol! And since I've been diggin on some surf tones lately, instead of just lockin down the trem like I usually do, I decided to at least TRY this one with a wiggle stick...

I wired the pickguard last week, and I decided to go with a 3 way switch, and a single volume and tone... And I'm JUST at that stage in my playing where I'm ACTUALLY seein the usefulness of a treble bleed, lol... And I had an extra layin around from a 4 way Tele kit, so I wired it in... And I took a few "liberties" with my soldering, just to see how well they work... So after I had Scratch-X'd the body and got it polished up as well as possible (like I said, it'll NEVER be flat) I went ahead and wired in the ground to the trem claw, and wired up the output jack... I hit another snag when my screwdriver (I wanted to be CAREFUL so I used that instead of my drill) slipped when I was installing the jack plate and of course it PUNCHED a nice, big hole right there next to the jack... See? Another thing I messed up by bein TOO careful, lol...

So I got the pickguard on, and it actually FITS! One for the home team! Lol, then came the moment of truth; I plugged the body in for the Ol' "screwdriver tap test" and BAM!!! She works! Correctly, even! Can't tell ya how INSANELY HAPPY that made me! Soldering is, by far, my weakest area... But throughout this build, I've actually learned quite a bit about wiring and how it works... And I guess that soldering is just like playing guitar; When you first start, you SUCK and have NO IDEA what you're doin... Then the more you do it, and the more practice you get, the more comfortable, natural, and better ya get... I'm still not good at soldering... But I think I MIGHT be gettin into "good enough" territory, anyways, lol...

Then I went to attach the neck, and came to the realization that you CAN'T do that with the pickguard on, Doofus! Lol, so that's where she sits for now... Later today I'm gonna get the pickguard off, the neck on, and I CAN'T WAIT to get strings on this thing!

It's been a loooooong haul, fellers... But we're closin in...
    IMG_20200410_003227038.jpg IMG_20200410_003212078.jpg IMG_20200410_003205436.jpg IMG_20200409_205152069.jpg

10. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Its worth the work in the end brotha. That looks killer.

SquierTap likes this.
  11. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Despite alla yer efforts, an previous frustrations, looks like ya actually DID git some degree of burst on that guitfiddle, amigo! Lovin it, from where I'm settin, leastwise...:)
    Lovin th skull knobs, but natch; anybody named Mr. Bones most likely loves em some Skellingtons, an such...;)

12. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

I'm looking at the PG screws that aren't all the way tightened down, and thinking (always dangerous). It might look pretty cool to have a post there to attach some dangly things--you know like shaman feathers or the like.

[​IMG]

SquierTap and Mr Bones like this.
  13. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-holic

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Say, that's a purty Grand idea...;)

SquierTap and mofojar like this.
  14. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Lol, I KNEW that would trigger somebody else's OCD, too! I actually took that pick as I was loosening the pickguard so I could get the neck on... But, Man... That's a whole 'nother barrel of monkeys... Yeah, the feathers WOULD look good... There's actually a little "bald spot" near the upper horn, and I thought, "Ya know what'd be cool and cover that up? I need to hang a lil gris-gris (mojo) bag right there!"

15. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with the way the color turned out... And I like the knobs, too... I just think when I do my next one, I'm gonna find a Squier Strat that plays well and make it outta THAT instead of ordering parts... I'm gonna make another post about it, cause I need some help, but the damned neck isn't lining up...

Mr Bones likes this.