That 70s Guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Angry Possum, Jan 6, 2020.

1. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Meister

must have been a common mod. It had been taken off the one in the picture before I bought it. Somebody had used a sharpie to black out the white bobbins but I cleaned it up with isopropyl alcohol. I had switched out the pickups on my first one for some Dimarzio Super Distortion but frankly I was not overwhelmed by them not exactly living up to the hype. I traded my original in 1989 for a new Les Paul Standard. I played the Ibanez for a last time went to the store got the Gibson. Came home and plugged in and within 3 minutes my mom was hollering up the stairs "You bought a new guitar, didn't you?" Even she could tell the difference.:confused::D

Angry Possum, so1om, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  2. Dave_11

Dave_11 Squier Talker

Mar 16, 2016
    Very nice! I love 70s strats and teles. I have the MIM version of this, but wasn't aware they made an AVRI in a natural finish. Do you know what pickups they put in these?

Angry Possum, mb doug and jefffam like this.
  3. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    No.. not really.. i thought i looked them up when i got the guitar but i dont remember..
    70s vintage reissues?..
    Interesting they are grey bottoms though.. much like what would be available from fender back in that day..

Angry Possum, mb doug and jefffam like this.
  4. Guitfiddlist

Guitfiddlist Squier-Meister

Aug 16, 2019
    ‘Merka
    I guess I can add this here... @Eddie was so kind as to offer this up and I’ve been looking for a vintage flat top!

2F675C66-BBF1-47C0-B810-4B615F2DFB2D.jpeg

5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I actually really dug this lesson! The cat knows what he's talkin about, and him doin the ENTIRE thing in character (with all the puns and double entendres) was hilarious... And I learned!

6. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    I've owned a couple of 1980 Gibson LPs but I'm not sure I ever owned a guitar from the 70s. I had a Yamaha RnRoller strat but can't remember how old it was.

Angry Possum, mb doug and Eddie like this.
  7. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    70s? 60s? I dunno. It is a Teisco E-110 'Tulip'. Does anyone know how to date these?

I laugh at myself all the time. Hopefully it is healthful. I laughed as I read the thread topic since I do not own any old guitars. I laughed yet looked forward to seeing your cool 70s guits. Then I realized I have the old Tulip on a stand in a corner. I laughed again.

Teisco 110 Tulip.jpg

8. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Squier Talker

Dec 3, 2019
    England
    here's my 70's Antoria SG mij
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    All I have is my AlvIarez 5064. I'd have to check the actual date on the replacement I have now. My original was 1979. They run from about 1978 until 1983.

004_cr.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  10. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    My first guitar, Epi FT-130 Cabellero bought new in I believe 1972. 1973 Gibson L6-S, gift from my wife. 1978 Peavey T-60, gift from one of my daughters. epiphoneFT-130Caballero.jpg 013 (2).JPG 044.JPG

11. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    The pickups sound decent on mine. Love the switches. Neck has nice feel on mine.

mb doug likes this.
  12. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Forgot about my 78 RD Artist. It's at my brother's house so I don't have any recent pics but here's an oldie from the mid-80's. Huntington bsmnt.JPG

13. duggerh

duggerh Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2018
    Pacific Northwest
    It goes on and on,on and on and on!

Angry Possum likes this.
  14. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    A recently acquired 1976 Greco Cherry Sunburst LP Copy. I'm yanking out the original bridge pickup and adding in a Dimarzio Tone Zone. I have a fetish with pickups lately. Not liking the Greco pickups.

20200212_192408.jpg 20200212_164648.jpg

Best1989 and squierbilly like this.