Thanksgiving plans?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Luvs2yoko, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-Nut

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    We have both American and Canadian in our house, so we celebrate twice!

2. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Sitting here in Jacksonville FL. Wife, daughter and I came down from Indy and arrived yesterday. Daughter is heading to Bulgaria Saturday and my wife and I are heading back home either Sat or Sun. I was told one of my nephews was taking guitar lessons and was asked to bring a guitar. I brought my Cherryburst and a small amp but it turns out the "guitar lessons" were three free ones from church and he isn't really interested. We arrived last night about 5 and by 8 I had made a deal for this Fender Classic 70s Strat with the Seymour Duncan Voodoo loaded guard, even got the guy to bring it to me.
    Looking forward to lots of turkey and ham later today and maybe some football.

[​IMG]

3. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Just the four in our immediate family and my in-laws, who live nearby and are in our "bubble."
    Slow-cooked beef ribs, mac-n-3cheese, salad, a couple of other sides, wine.

Sounds like a good compromise. Do you do that for every holiday? When's Canadian Christmas? :D

4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    The wife and I are staying home this year with just a simple breakfast for dinner. My daughter is bringing us a turkey dinner later tonight.

5. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    That sounds much more coherent ;)

ScoobySnacker and Luvs2yoko like this.
  6. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    I had Thanksgiving dinner last Saturday. There were 8 of us. I put a turkey breast and a venison backstrap on the smoker, plus made some of the usual accoutrements to go along with it. Today I’m at work. Spending the day in Naples, FL. Headed to Boston tomorrow and Chicago the day after.

Whatever you are doing, have a great day!
    6F9BF673-72E6-4FC6-B685-4EC34BA4DDFB.jpeg

Loin Lover and Luvs2yoko like this.
  7. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Spending the day reading S-T, catching some news, practicing. I have some chicken breast in the crock pot with some rice, I'll decide on the veggie closer to meal time. Probably mixed veggies. With it being just me, there's not much reason to go all out, just more leftovers.

My son will likely bring over a plate, after Dinner with the other G'mother and the kids (long, ugly story).

But giving thanks, I'm still kicking around, which was not so certain September 2018.

Missing my wife. It's always worst around the holidays.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  8. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Just finished our holiday meal. Just Jan and I.

Yes, I missed my son and DIL. but that's not due to covid. Their move south and the selling of the airplane meant for time that we saw each other face to face was mostly via Zoom calls plus one visit a year.

Their new plane may change that, but it has become a very comfortable norm.

Still, Jan and me is just about perfect. She made a feast fitting for our choices and circumstances -- a mix of her mom's New England traditional -- modified to better match our low carb eating style -- and some of her dad's families Sicilian delights.

Had enough left over for another full meal -- and just maybe we'll eat it the same way. With a holiday spirit in front of a blazing fire.

Yes, it was that nice! :)

2020-11-26_14-22-09_016.jpeg

Truly a feeling of Thanksgiving and a full heart -- that as President Lincoln had in mind when he called fo a day of thanksgiving and prayer. And we, like they then, have so much to be thankful for.

Once again, my best wishes to all. May we each live with confidence and peace!

-don

9. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Meister

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    This year like mentioned by many, we will play it safe. We will drop off food but not put elderly members at risk.

At the retirement society group I am in, only one person is meeting with family (grandkids), and only outdoors socially distanced. It will be hard to keep inside off limits but this time next year things should return to normal.

In our group of less than 15, four of us have friends or family infected. One person in the group is infected.

I wonder what the ratio is for you in your softball team, Boy Scout troop, salsa dancing club, or car club.

I live in a very rural town of just 1,200 people and for a long time, Covid was only reported in our big cities of LA, San Jose, San Diego, Oakland, and San Francisco with almost no cases in the rural areas. One rural county here had two cases and it stayed that way for six months without an additional case. And the only reason we had that pair of cases in the rural county is because they were just back from Wuhan, China but lived and worked here.

But now, near the Christmas shopping season, it's everywhere in every town including rural areas.

I noticed the covid effect on thanksgiving 2020 when I saw that the grocery stores weren't that busy. They only had a small increase but no lines more than three shopping carts.

10. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    Same here. My wife works from home and my son is homeschooled so they have been Isolated all year. I am the main breadwinner so if I dont work then I dont eat. I work in an Animal Hospital and wear a mask ALL day as well as constantly wash my hands and yet we all tested positive on Tuesday. We are all quarantined until late next week. (10 days from onset of symptoms or 14 days after known exposure)Unfortunately alot of people here in Georgia listened to the wrong folks and either think its not serious and has been politicised or that it just doesn't exist. Those same people freak out if their dog coughs or doesn't eat for a day so go figure. We have lost several clients this year to Covid as well as their animals. Believe what you want to but early on we had a couple who both passed from corona and 2 weeks later their cat was dead as well while hospitalized and under our care. Happened again in June with an elderly gentleman and his dog. While the CDC will not confirm it and it is not documented because ALL tests are being reserved for the human population I have no doubt as to how these animals died. Severe acute respiratory syndrome is the official diagnosis. Unfortunately some people wont believe it until it hits home for them. While my son and wife's symptoms (fever and cough)were short lived and appear to be all but gone I have ongoing symptoms and although I am still resting at home my doctor has me on steroids to reduce inflamation in my lungs. My symptoms are still what I consider mild but I have asthma and a history of respiratory problems so I for one am taking it very seriously and watching very closely for any change or worsening. I already know what respiratory distress feels like and is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. That being said I am thankful today that I am with my family and not in a hospital that wont even allow family to visit . We had Thanksgiving lunch today which included the traditional turkey and dressing w\cranberry sauce along with mashed potatoes and gravy,collard greens, feild peas and yeast rolls all washed down with a big glass of ice cold sweet tea like any self respecting southerner. Which incidentally is what I'll be having for dinner as well seeing as it was just the three of us and there are a ton of leftovers. Probably enough to last through quarantine and far longer than I wish to eat leftover turkey.

11. 65refinyellow

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    And I think I decided to take covid seriously and skip thanksgiving because the year before I got very ill with another health scare that I heard of in public tv programming.

A chef, also MD, was selling recipes on the public broadcasting tv show based around the big disease event of our generation called metabolic syndrome which could cause diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and possibly even dementia. A common and sometimes fatal issue from metabolic syndrome is heart damage in the form of heart valve damage.

I ended up with this syndrome and lo and behold, an inoperable tricuspid valve as a result and possibly one of two billion worldwide that could have my life be cut short.

Luckily, this problem and others that can lead to two billion preventable deaths in the next few decades, was caught early enough in me and if good, I can expect to live well into my 70s. I am 57 and I will take that having had numerous fellow obese friends my age and younger already pass away. Being a rock and roller, I certainly didn't live the cleanest life for a long time.

So when covid 19 hit and they said skip the holiday, and be safer, then no biggie.

Angry Possum, ToneChaser77 and Hugh like this.
  12. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    Home recovering from a mild case of Covid. ( no fever or symptoms for 8 days now) I'm fine but declined dinner w/family. 20+ in a small house. Um, no. They all see each other daily in a fairly small town, so it's not like they are greatly increasing the risk of Covid, but my doc said " don't even think about it".

Canned chili and a can of chicken noodle soup today lol. I am missing for Turkey and dressing though. Thinking about going to one of the pharmacy chains here in town and finding a Stouffer's turkey dinner.

Anyhow, everyone stay safe and have a good turkey day !

13. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Two points:

I had an individual Thanksgiving meal. Although, I have to depend on others far more than I like or are comfortable with, I prepared some chicken breasts in the crock pot with cream of mushroom soup and added later rice. Then I did up some mixed veggies and thawed out a couple rolls.(Feeding for just me, I freeze everything if I cannot eat it up in a day or two. See second point) It was delicious. The chicken was so tender you could cut it with your fork, and so juicy, besides seeing, you could hear the juiciness,(and my ears are not so good, too many years of rock bands, symphonic band, marching band, years of Field Artillery and then working on motorcycles.) I did not even try the more traditional menu as that's a whole lot of fixing and expense (Did anyone pay attention to what a turkey breast costs?) for sage, yams, sliced carrots, etc.

As a note, the neighbor across the street invited me over for Thanksgiving dinner, a very kind and real gesture, but I declined. Both for not being dressed to go outside the house, and not feeling real great physically today. They sent over a plate of turkey, gray, stuffing and green beans,(with the dried onion rings on top). Then my son came over with my grandson, bringing a big plate of turkey an all the trimming, plus probably a dozen cornbread muffins. If I had known for sure of folks generosity, I would not have gone through the trouble of fixing dinner, LOL.

Point two for those with residual excess turkey and trimmings; all are very freezeble. Put it back for another time, for a quicker meal already prepared. I know I will be freezing the remaining chicken breasts and rice. I'll be eating turkey all day tomorrow and maybe Saturday.

As far as interaction, it is extremely rare for me to leave the house, except for doctors appointments. The neighbors son handed me the plate, at the door then left. My son has stopped in 1, 2, 3 times a week since I moved to my own place. They test frequently where he works, as well as take temps, etc, first thing in the morning, every morning , and after lunch.

14. SoCalJim

SoCalJim Squier-Meister

Nov 12, 2020
    SoCal
    The one downside to not having any family or friends over is that there’s just no way for me to get out of helping to wash the dishes.

15. 65refinyellow

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    Great stories!

The one thing this covid has done is made people more generous than usual (stories above) and just maybe it was just enough to keep things from spilling over into violence.

I have seen the best and worse of humanity recently but when push comes to shove, the good outshines the bad. I am not saying covid or crisis is good, but I just wish people who are helping others did so with the same enthusiasm all the time, without a crisis such as covid or the unprecedented huge fires and mudslides that have plagued my region.

I have never seen people so nice with holiday spirit like this in any previous year. If I could only bottle this!!!

I love the people here and maybe there's something extra special about people who see the beauty in the simple, affordable Squier guitar. One thing for sure there are no snobs on this forum.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Angry Possum, Eddd and Luvs2yoko like this.
  16. Number 6

Number 6 Squier Talker

Nov 15, 2020
    Great White North
    Like you should!