Tell us about "Your Sound"

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by RetiredNSquired, Nov 20, 2020.

1. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    I ask this because I'm starting, more and more, to know that My Sound is a Tele. This is a total mental swerve to me, because it's absolutely not what I would have expected. Most of my favorite player's tones are Les Paul/ humbucker derived.
    But when I pick up a guitar, the sound that just feels the most natural for MY playing is always my Tele. I tend to play a lot with my fingers, and for me at least, that translates better with the Tele pickup range. I just think I sound and feel more like "ME" on this guitar. I can really get anything I want, from a bluesy drive to a clean, open rhythm, to a nice, airy, jazzy sound. The pickup mix gives me a tone range that just feels right. (not sure that sounding like ME is all that much of a good thing, but that's another story!)
    Yeah, I know there are different sounds to be had, and I'm not pooh-poohing anybody who switches around for versatilities sake. Just trying to describe what feels most natural to this old fart.
    So, try and describe YOUR sound, and what gives it to you

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I am a Strat guy through and through however I do grab the LP, Tele, and P93 off the wall once in a while.
    I hybrid pick more than anything because of the amount of different sounds I can get.
    Usually play clean with only one pedal which is a Time Space echo/delay. Years ago classic rock was the only thing I listened to but over the years I've mellowed out and really enjoy learning fingerstyle.
    I play quite a bit every day now while the wife reads her books and the dog plants herself in the chair staring at me while I play. I think she enjoys it more than the wife and I :D

3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Like the “Holy Grail Tone” thread, it’s a moving target.

I always work out songs on acoustic first, so I want one that’s not too loud, especially to sing with... that’s the Yamaha APX500III. Once it’s down, I rehearse with the Martin (because that’s what I’ll play out on). If it’s an electric song for performance, it’ll be one of three: Blacktop Tele, MIM Strat, or ‘’14 ‘51.

I do change guitars for different styles, I usually go Epi Dot Studio for Beatles, and if I’m playing anything that was originally played on an LP, it’s my Ibby Artcore (though I haven’t played those two out).

ScoobySnacker likes this.
  4. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    I agree with RetiredNSquired, I feel like the Tele sound is the most conducive to my playing. I'm not an accomplished player, so the tone from my hands probably isn't the best, but I feel the most satisfied with my playing and the tone when playing my Tele. My strats are the most comfortable to play, and what I prefer for clean tones.

5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Over the years I have had many. Of late I've been exploring the mid-forward growly clean that Supro amps were known for in the rock and Chicago blues of the fifties and early sixties.

As much my own, however, is a P90 PUP pushing a classic Champ circuit with an overtaxed tube rectifier. --Totally natural and uncontrived distortion and compression.

Like most guitarists that fully came of age during the transition of American to British rock I learned to work with many of the sounds of the sixties, including Clapton's famous "woman tone." But with time I came to realize it wasn't "me." And most of what came later, apart from Stevie Ray, including a lot of very well played music, did and does rather bore me.

-don

6. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    One letter, two digits: P90

7. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Distorted and unduly loud.

Ideally, humbuckers, a guitar/ electronics that accentuate the midrange, a Randall or Mesa or Marshall amp, and neighbors who are away are the ideal components, therefore.

8. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

“My sound” has apparently come full circle...as a kid in the ‘60s, took lessons on a mid ‘60s Harmony Silhouette/Bobket, beat that for a couple decades until the neck got broken (pre eBay days, now folks are parting them out and all). Trashed it, have acquired several guitars of various types over the years, last guitar purchase was an “accidental “ eBay win, for a ‘64 Harmony H15 (Silhouette/Bobcat), was like comin home, gone full circle... the original gold foils are just as I remember them...and that’s my typical “sound” these days...my LP, Strat, Wildkat, BMG, Tele all sound fine, but this lil old Harmony rocks the house.....am sure a good part of it is sentimental, but...I LOVE THE SOUND....single coil, but brash, more P90-ish, I guess...and it’s easy fun to play as well, light, small, it rocks me :cool:

VM51SQ, RoyalWe and RetiredNSquired like this.
  9. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    My tone is pretty much any guitar with a HS configuration, but I’m most at home and “natural” sounding playing my modded CV Duo Sonic. I’ve found teles to be too thin sounding for my playing (love how they feel though), I hate everything about strats except the neck pickup and neck/middle quack, and neck humbuckers are too dark (likewise with P90’s). My HB equipped guitars have coil taps so I can have the single in the neck, but I gotta have that drive from a bridge HB. I also like flatwound strings, gives this lovely woody “plunk” sound that I really dig.

RetiredNSquired likes this.
  10. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic Double Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    A Strat with handwound AlNiCo IIIs in position 2 (bridge + middle) going through a Boss DM-2 (MN3005 chip) dialed down to where you can almost not tell it's on, and then into a vintage '65 Vibrolux Reverb loaded with JBL D-110Fs with a hint of reverb and turned up to the magic number 7. You can feel it in your chest as you do "Sonic Surgery". Mmmmm....... :cool:

Definitely "Old School".

11. Geetarman72

Geetarman72 Squier Talker

Apr 18, 2020
    Deltona
    Usually Strats . mostly due to comfort , but I also use the lespaul sound and telecaster . Some of it is guitar rotation . Some of it is mood . I have a pretty versatile Amp and pedal board so I can get most any sound I want out my guitars. Some are just different tones . Last night played my CV tele to some classic country , rock and blues and found yet even more sounds out of it. The neck pickup for whatever reason is one of the most useful I have found .

12. k tone

k tone New Member

May 27, 2019
    Canada
    Fat Strat with a high output HB in the bridge. Shredmaster type distortion pedal, delay into a Marshall or Fender amp. Dial the Shreddy according to the amp. I have other pedals on my board but that’s the core. I switch to an OD when on the single coils of my Strat.

13. barryseymour

barryseymour Squier Talker Silver Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    I have a beautiful Strat PartsCaster - Japanese neck, B. Hefner body. Plays great, but it just sounds kind of generic. It originally had Lace Sensors but I replaced them last Christmas with Hot Noiseless Pickups. Not much better. Thinking of yet another set of pickups.

I've been a Strat guy forever, but I bought a Squier Tele last year that ended up being my go-to. It needed a lot of work; I replaced the pups with Vintage Tele pickups, had to put in new tuners - locking, which are great - and my guitar tech adjusted the truss rod and now it's my fave. Of course I like the bridge pickup - who doesn't? - but I'm really loving the blues sound I'm getting from the neck pup as well.

I finally learned how to record from home this year and have been having a blast. You can hear the Tele to best effect on this song; the solo in particular highlights that magic tone I love so much....

https://soundcloud.com/barry-seymour/road-trip?in=barry-seymour/sets/nice-hat

14. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Meister

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    I like my strat because it's the most versatile.

But I was most influenced most by Kiss as a kid and then many hard rock bands so the humbucker was it.

Like the OP, I found that everytime I picked up a tele, it worked well. I liked the Gibsons I have had over the years and other hot humbucker guitars but I gravitated back to Leo Fender.

The tele has some of the strat type twang, but also a slightly fatter and warmer bridge pickup that can do hard rock well enough. It's versatile in the way it can do both twang and warm growl even though it doesn't have the five positions a strat has.

The tele doesn't look menacing like a BC Rich Warlock or Flying V, but in the end it can work well with distortion and gain.

The tele is a great guitar and I am not a country guy at all. That being said, the best electric acoustic for me is Takamine, also a country music staple as much as the tele.

15. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    It depends what type of music I'm playing, but I still sound like me.

Angry Possum likes this.
  16. late2guitar

late2guitar Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Middle Tennessee
    A jazzmaster or a guitar with P90s with tone set high and volume near the top for a fair bit of fuzz do it for me. That said, that's today. Not long ago, I was noodling on a strat admiring the sound of a clean single coil. That said, the buckers on Gem's Firebird sound amazing in this performance (and Noel's tone on that 355 ain't half bad either)...

Angry Possum likes this.
  17. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    In my opinion, with respect to Electric Guitars, I think the sound comes from the pickups and your attack, as well as your energy field. However For rock and metal, I fancy good ole Humbuckers, and I prefer either Dimarzio Super Distortion Pickups or Dimarzio Tone Zones in the bridge. However I do like some of the Seymour Duncan distortion pickups as well as some Ibanez pickups, and some Gibson Les Paul PAFs. I can acquire my tones consistently thru any type of guitar media whether it be a Strat, a Tele, an Ibanez, a Les Paul, etc. It's not the guitar body that makes the tone. It's the other things I mentioned. So my sound is Humbuckers played thru any type of guitar body. For an Amp, I like Tube amps, and the less pedals the better for me. Usually just a tube screamer, I let the amp do the rest. I've always did, I have no use for pedals either. I can't stand processed sounds. Nothing like plugging into a Marshall with some killer humbuckers,, and letting the amp do the rest. Acoustic guitars on the other hand, are a different breed all together...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  18. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

My sound is... changeable. It depends on my mood and the guitar I pick up.

Some of my guitars ask to be played mellow, while some what me to try out my best (bottom of the barrel) SRV impression.

I leave my amp settings the same for all my guitars - treble at 2 o'clock, bass at 9 o'clock, reverb maxed, gain only to the point where there is the tiniest hint of dirt and breakup.

I play with a very heavy pick - a Dunlop Tortex 2mm, and I find this is probably the biggest factor in giving my sound whatever character it has.

But the sounds I always come back to are Tele bridge, and Strat neck.

But to be honest, every time I hear it, I think a certain guitar sound from Roxette's Joyride is my holy grail tone, it always reminds me faintly of bagpipes for some odd reason, the bit that goes duh-da-da-duh-daaaaaaa right before the whistling part. Some might know it. It's hard to describe the section because structurally that song is all over the place.