Telecaster pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by gary mitchell, Nov 24, 2020.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I have a American Fender Telecaster, love the guitar don't care for the pickups. I was stupid I put a set of Fender Pure Vintage 58s in it, and sold the original pickups. I have change the height up and down they seem to me life less . They are just a little to bright to me little to much bite FB_IMG_1509844572698.jpg . i have retired since I change the pickups and don't have the money I used to have. So what pickups would you suggest at a decent price and you know what i mean decent price. Before I got my Tele I played mostly humbucker guitars, are something like a USA Jackson with S/S/H EMGs. What would you suggest, I have guitars with humbuckers I would like to stay with single coils

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  2. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
  3. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    Check out Planet Tone pickups. I have a set in my Tele partcaster, and couldn't be more pleased. They're running a 15% off sale for the holidays.
    Hand-wound in the USA, top quality and sound, for about 1/3-1/2 the price of the big names.
    https://planettone.com/

Tele56 and dbrian66 like this.
  4. GunnyPlaysLoud

GunnyPlaysLoud Squier-Meister

Mar 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    I bought some Alnico 3 Bootstrap pickups recently (extra crispy set), can’t say enough good things about them for the price. To me, it’s the perfect balance for a tele, slightly hotter and a smoothed out high end.

5. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    How about doing a treble bleed on it, that usually darkens the tone a bit?

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    My Tele has the Fender Grease Bucket electronics in it. I left it in when I changed pickups.

7. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Why do you insist on single coils when they always sound too bight to you? I think you need to get hotter and warmer sounding single coils, like Texas Specials, or Quarter Pounders, or maybe even some single coil sized HBs like rail types. And, no, we don't know what you mean by a decent price. Some people think $100 for a good set is a good price, and some people think that's too high and never want to spend more than $20-50. Guitar Madness has several hotter Tele pickups, from Hot alnicos and ceramics to rails.

8. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
  9. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I think you misunderstand what treble bleed does. It has no effect when the volume pot is all the way up, but keeps the tone brighter when turning the volume pot down.

Hal Nico, JKjr and DrewB like this.
  10. DrewB

DrewB Squier Talker

Jan 3, 2020
    Independence, MO
    And it's technically "treble bypass," as the treble frequencies are bypassed from ground when the pot is rolled back. What's being bled is frequencies below the threshold "selected" by the bypass cap.

11. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Yep, the treble frequencies above the threshold set by the value of the cap, stay at 10, as all the other frequencies below that threshold are rolled off when turning the pot down.

12. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Well you could roll your tone pot back a smidge but that would be free and therefore no fun at all...

13. DrewB

DrewB Squier Talker

Jan 3, 2020
    Independence, MO
    lol, "you get what you pay for."

driver8, SUMMER_69 and GunnyPlaysLoud like this.
  14. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    And yet on the two guitars I had that CAME with it, and others I’ve installed... when bypassed, were much brighter... Especially on my G&L Bluesboy on the neck bucker.

Because now your threshold is fixed (instead of wide open). Your starting point is darker.

RC networks are funny, and do not always do just one thing to tone.

Full Shielding can also darken a guitars tone (pleasantly sometimes).

What I don’t know is how a set of Pure ‘58’s can be lifeless. Not someone’s cup of tea maybe, but lifeless? Any suggestion we give Gary is a “try it and see what happens” thing at best.

Some guys replace perfectly good pots, and think their guitars “come to life” just because the span on the tone control has changed (same with a cap value change, they think it’s the PIO magic).

gary mitchell likes this.
  15. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    USA
    Try changing strings to heavier. I recently took some old 10s off my tele and put on 9s (carpal tunnel issues). The tone is completely different, and bridge p/u is basically unusable to me. Way too bright and it literally sounds like switching to an AM radio. Couldn't believe how much difference a small change in strings can make.

16. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    I’ll go out on limb here and say you will get probably 20-30 different opinions so I’ll throw in my $.02 cents, DiMarzio or Rose

radiotech likes this.
  17. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Hal Nico, gary mitchell and radiotech like this.
  18. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I lower them down quite a bit, like even with the pick guard . Now they have sweeter warm sound. I a very happy boy now

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Hal Nico, ScoobySnacker and radiotech like this.
  19. Maplelover

Maplelover Squier Talker

Nov 28, 2014
    Akron,Oh
    I've had , back in the early 70's, a '66 Telecaster, and through the years , 6 more of various series . I had the same issue on my last one, a 2014 limited edition ash body maple neck. I was looking for some sounds that I was used too. Dan Shinn at Lay's Guitar shop (renowned for custom repairs and refins) try the Fender Vintage Noiseless...not being a fan at all for those...he said if I didn't like them , he'd buy them from me. Well
    I was floored by the sound...natural sparkle, not too bright, combined with both pickups on together, it was and still is my favorite Tele pickups..various prices everywhere, and ratings are always great...
    • Flush-mount pole pieces for even string response
    • Alnico 2 magnets for warmer attack and less-aggressive midrange

Through the years below....but I'm still a Stratocaster fan #1 BBC2B.jpg telePT.jpg PT TELE.jpg

• BBC2B.jpg telePT.jpg BBC2B.jpg

20. Nduro

Nduro Squier-Meister

Oct 17, 2020
    Poland
    throw away greasebucket, i had a loss on highway one. i changed him pickups and it didn't sound good take some simple schematic and solder it, you might be surprised.
    the sound changes beyond recognition