Telecaster Bullet 3.0

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Rick-T137, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Rick-T137

Rick-T137 Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2020
    Canada
    Hi everyone,

Back in May I bought my first new guitar in 37 years - a 2019 Squier Telecaster Bullet in black with a white pick guard and an indian laurel fretboard. Lovely little guitar for not a lot of cash monies.

I upgraded the tiny pots with CTS pots, and replaced the pickups with humbuckers. I swapped out the white pick guard for a black one and that was that. Telecaster Bullet 2.0.

Until now, that is. In another thread, @Viking showed pics of his black Bullet and it got me thinking. Maybe I actually prefer the white pick guard? With the black pick guard, I had to put a chrome trim ring around the chrome pickup because I "modded" a non-HH pick guard.

More importantly, the stock tuners on my Bullet left a fair amount to be desired - there was a lot of slack in them, and I always felt I was chasing tune. So, in addition to a white pick guard, I ordered a set of Wilkinson EZ Lok tuners (note: these are not locking tuners!). Now tuning is a breeze - very easy and it holds tune beautifully.

Another mod in my guitar is a 3-way DPDT switch that lets me activate the coil split on either the neck or the bridge pickup. When engaged, that pickup is not only coil split, but it's also grounded via a 470K resistor giving the pickup the impression that the pots are 250K (actually 247K) versus the 500K they are actually rated at. That part works great - I can even hear the "hum" when I put the pickups into single coil mode! The difference is very noticeable.

So, here's the pics of my rig now - and I'm lovin' every minute of it!

Cheers!

Rick

duceditor, Croppertone, corn and 11 others like this.
  2. Atlen

Atlen Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2019
    Norway
    Happy with the EZ tuners?
    Direct replacement?

Rick-T137 likes this.
  3. Rick-T137

Rick-T137 Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2020
    Canada
    Very much so! They are much quicker to change out the strings and they hold tune way better than the stock tuners did. The two-hole stringing system is a bit tricky at first (I stabbed myself several times with the ends of the strings before I figured it out), but once I got going, stringing up the guitar is quick, easy and stable. I think they're a good value (I paid $38 or so for the set).

They aren't a direct replacement in the sense that I did have to drill some tiny holes for the set screws. The stock tuners had two little nibs that were side-by-side (I thought they'd be diagonal, but they're not) but the new tuners cover up those two small holes with no problem. Once I got the new tuners loosely bolted into place, I put a straight ruler against them to line them up and quickly tapped some 1/16" pilot holes for the set screws. I didn't feel it was a big deal, and I was happy with the outcome.

Cheers!

Rick

4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Very nice! I have always fancied for an HH tele and this is tickling my fantasies again!

What pickups do you have on it?

Rick-T137 likes this.
  5. Rick-T137

Rick-T137 Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2020
    Canada
    I used a Wilkinson MX1768CR in the neck position and a Wilkinson
    MX1771BK in the bridge position. They both have ceramic magnets as that more fits with my rock n roll lifestyle (versus AlNiCo).

I think the specs are 7.5K for the neck and 14.1K for the bridge. I love the sound of both of them - and they have a coil split output (4 wires) so you can run them as single coils when you want - it works really well.

Cheers!

Rick

6. littlebadboy

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Thanks for the information! Try to add another switch to give you a parallel option. I prefer it over splits. Splits doesn't sound like a single coil anyway, so I opted for parallel on my HH guitar.

Rick-T137 likes this.
  7. Rick-T137

Rick-T137 Squier Talker

Oct 4, 2020
    Canada
    I find the splits do sound very much like a single coil - not exact, but they are much brighter and sharper than when running as a humbucker. I even get the single coil "hum" when I activate the split.

For parallel, if I'm not mistaken, I'd want to do that with both my humbuckers split at the same time - is that correct? Or can you do humbuckers in parallel? (Sorry, I'm still fairly new to guitar wiring!)

Thanks!
    Rick

8. littlebadboy

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Each humbucker in parallel sir! It has an interesting tone.

Rick-T137 likes this.